• 8(current)
[LIVE]First true HTPC
Adjust Display Refresh Rate To Match Video: OFF
Hey Choque, i just went through this entire post and wanted to say congratulations on your build!! It was very fun going through it all! Especially since i want to build exactly what you did!! An unraid server and a xbmc live frontend. Have you had any more problems with your setup?

I have been running Live and Openelec on a revo 1600 for a year now and cant stand it. It freezes constantly and is always giving me headaches, so hence why im considering Win 7 now. But if you are good with your setup in Live i might give it another go. Maybe with a 30GB SSD in so that i can switch it up if i have to!

Eskro, i have to say this, and you must hear it a lot, But your willingness to help is so amazing!! You are the best!! I hope i can get some help when its time for my build too! Laugh

I dont know if its too much to ask, but Choque would you be so nice to make a short video of your sistem for us to see the speed and how it runs?? Im in doubt whether to go Windows 7 or Live and wanted a comparison against Eskros build!
eskro Wrote:Adjust Display Refresh Rate To Match Video: OFF
Yea, I deactivated this option and now everything runs fine. But now everything runs at 50 Hz even though I have 24 Hz content Sad That's a workaround I guess but not a real solution.

zephyrtear Wrote:Hey Choque, i just went through this entire post and wanted to say congratulations on your build!! It was very fun going through it all! Especially since i want to build exactly what you did!! An unraid server and a xbmc live frontend. Have you had any more problems with your setup?

I have been running Live and Openelec on a revo 1600 for a year now and cant stand it. It freezes constantly and is always giving me headaches, so hence why im considering Win 7 now. But if you are good with your setup in Live i might give it another go. Maybe with a 30GB SSD in so that i can switch it up if i have to!

Eskro, i have to say this, and you must hear it a lot, But your willingness to help is so amazing!! You are the best!! I hope i can get some help when its time for my build too! Laugh

I dont know if its too much to ask, but Choque would you be so nice to make a short video of your sistem for us to see the speed and how it runs?? Im in doubt whether to go Windows 7 or Live and wanted a comparison against Eskros build!
Hey zephyrtear. Well besides the problem with the micro stutters when switching to 24 Hz mode, everything works perfect! I'm using openELEC 0.99.5 and the speed is amazing. I even shut the HTPC completly down between use and don't send it to sleep cause it boots faster from the cold than my TV is switched on.
The unRAID server is running perfect aswell. Meanwhile I got the backplane from my co-worker and installed it in the server. Looks good Big Grin I also installed pyLoad on my unRAID server. That's basically a download manager like JDownloader but instead in Java, it's written completely in Python. Supports many of the available one-click Hosters out there.

So yea, I'm really satisfied with my build(s) and after testing the Ubuntu, Ubuntu Minimal and Live version - I switched back to openELEC really fast. The performance difference is just amazing.

I'll try to make a short video but I will most likely have to film it with my cellphone cause I borrowed my camera to a friend of mine. What would you like to see in the video?
Choque Wrote:Yea, I deactivated this option and now everything runs fine. But now everything runs at 50 Hz even though I have 24 Hz content Sad That's a workaround I guess but not a real solution.

im on the same boat here,,,
im doing the same 'work-around' as you...

thats why many users dont like the 120Hz or 240Hz LCD HDTV's...
they create frames that arent really there to get 'more' of a natural feeling..
its nice for watching regular TV but sucks when watching movies using a PC....

so we have to disable these Natural Motion technologies for smooth playback...
Yea but I already disabled the "TruMotion" option of my HDTV. So I'd guess it works like a normal HDTV without this feature then. Oh well, from tests I've read you won't notice a difference between 24 Hz and 50 Hz so I'll stick to the 50 Hz mode then Smile
exactly...
Adjust Display Refresh Rate To Match Video: OFF for me too
YEah with cell phone is fine, its mostly to see the speed and response of the system. You can film anything, like changing menus, starting trailer, or a movie, then moving back to movies list while its still playing.

Just take a look at Eskros movie, a little into it he fiddles around in the menus. That is what im looking for. Wink

And thanks in Advance!!
Hey eskro let me ask you something about unraid... Since im also planning on building a setup like Choques...

I want it to be futureproof for 3tb drives, so my question is.... Since it boots from the USB drive does it even matter that todays MB dont boot from 3tb drives?? Once it its implemented in a new version of unRaid i could just upgrade it to use the 3TB drives correct in the system? or no i would need a specific MB to go along with it?

Thanks i advance! Big Grin
i wouldnt worry at all here zephyrtear....
choques unRAID rig is one of the best price-wize btw....
eskro Wrote:i wouldnt worry at all here zephyrtear....
choques unRAID rig is one of the best price-wize btw....

Thanks for the quick reply! So by not worrying i guess the motherboard wont affect it then?

Good now i gotta shop around to see if i can get cheap prices for the components here in Brazil, things are not cheap at all here unfortunately No

If not wait till july to buy them in the US Big Grin

**EDIT**

Btw do you know if Choques motherboard is lvl 2 and or 3 approved? Already have 3 drives to put in so i will be definately going at least level 2!
dont worry, im in the same boat as you...
everything is more expensive here in CANADA!!
i beleive choques not having issues at all with his motherboard so,
again, i wouldnt worry at all...
Choque, awesome setup! I have been stalking this thread and am considering the same. Quick question for you, any reason I would not be able to use SABnzbd & sickbeard on the server? I would like all that to run on the backend of my system. Would you change anything with that in mind?
I don't see an issue with running SABnzbd & sickbeard on my server. I just haven't installed it (yet) cause the internet sucks where I live (my max dl. rate is 45kb/sec) so it would take ages to actually download something. But installing and running it is not a problem on my setup.

@zephyrtear
What do you mean with level 2 and/or 3 approved? Do you mean the unRAID level 2 & 3? I dunno if my board is approved but I didn't ran into issues until now so I guess it's ok Big Grin Even though, after researching a little bit more I would now buy the GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H instead because S3 works with this board. But that'd be the only reason to get the GIGABYTE board over the one I'm using now. If I upgrade to 6 drives, I'll do the level 2 test for my board Wink
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE]First true HTPC0