• 7(current)
[LIVE]First true HTPC
Choque Wrote:Yea I could probably do that too. But since I'm still in the 14 days in which I can return the card without a reason and since active cooled cards are like ~20€ cheaper, why not return it and get a new one Wink
well, think about it carefully. Those half height card all have very small fans (40mm) which, in my experience, are quite noisy and don't last that long in good condition. If you can do a mod and mount a 60 or 80mm, that's a better way.
nvm
just hope its not too noisy :/
Ok, for now I'll stick with the passive cooled GT 430. Even though I've hit 92°C after just idling for ~1 1/2 hours but I like it silent. I'll either get a be quiet! 80mm fan with 15db(A) or a Scythe SFlex with 8,7db(A) and mount them near the card. Probably under it since theres no room on top of the card
adding a FAN is a great idea!
These are great too:
ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan ($7.99 ea.)
RPM: 1500 RPM
Air Flow: 24 CFM
Noise Level: 14 dBA
Yea so...the fan method keeps it cool (around 56°C after some minutes of 1080p content) BUT I noticed something. I have no sound. Since this was the first real testing (I was too afraid to actually watch something before since the card was already that hot in idle mode) that was the first time I could notice it and yea, no sound.
If set the audio output to HDMI and tried all options but yea, no sound -.-
Ok, had enough with that stupid GPU. After googeling and trying several things and still not getting sound I ordered an ASUS GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3 128-bit Low Profile. I hope this will give me sound...
So my Asus GT 430 just arrived and I slapped it in. Disabled the on board cooler and made my be quiet! Fan stand next to it. It's dead silent and stays around 45°C under max usage Smile
BUT! I still have no sound over HDMI. I would appreciate help here. My audio settings in OpenElec look like this:

Audio Output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Boot Volume Level on Downmix: On
- Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable Reciever: On
- DTS Capable Reciever: On
Audio Output Device: HDMI
Passthrough Output Device: IEC958

That's the settings right now though I've tried all variations of settings and neither one gave me sound Sad Help please

€dit: Thought it might be helpful to post what "aplay -l" returns too
Quote:**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Perhaps someone is interested in this - I got sound to work. Had to choose custom and enter "plughw:1,9" to get the sound to work finally.

Now I have a question concerning the Video - Playback Settings. I don't know what are the perfect settings there. Currently it's set to

Render Method: Auto Detect
Allow Hardware Acceleration (VDPAU): Off
Allow Hardware Acceleration (VAAPI): Off
Adjust Display Refresh Rate To Match Video: On
Sync Playback To Video: Off
Allowed Error In Aspect Ratio To Minimize Black Bars: Off
Display 4:3 Videos As: Normal
VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion: Off
Video Post-Processing: Disabled

But these can't be the optimal settings for my setup (Intel E3400 + GeForce GT 430) as I notice some files don't play smoothly 100%, they stutter once in a while. For example when I start to watch Dick Tracy and in the beginning there's a camera panning over the city while the credits are displayed, the panning motion is smooth, then it stutters a bit, then it's smooth again and then it stutters a bit again. This can't be right. I wanted smooth playback of 1080p files Sad
Allow Hardware Acceleration (VDPAU): ON
Allow Hardware Acceleration (VAAPI): ON
Yea...tried this at first and the stuttering was even worse than with these options off...
what is your TV? plasma? lcd 120Hz?
LG 47LE8500 - 47'' Full LED with 200 Hz (in germany, in america it's 240 Hz)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6889005140
there you go, in your TV options, disable LG's TruMotion™ 240Hz....
then try to play your movie again...

i have a SAMSUNG LCD 120Hz and i had the same problem...
once i disabled the TruMotion (actually called AutoMotionPlus for me)
movies played without stuttering...
Ok I disabled the TruMotion and now it look's way better, but I still notice some really tiny, kinda like micro stutters once in a while
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE]First true HTPC0