• 1(current)
[LIVE]First true HTPC
Hey,

i know there are dozens of threads about this out there and yes, I've already read Poofyhairguy's HTPC Recommendation Thread and eskro's Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? Thread.
I just wanted to have some input from guys who know their stuff about the build I have in mind.
Right now I'm using my PS3 and PS3 Media Server to stream via Component to my old tube television. Since I'm going to buy a HDTV now (LG 47LE8500) I'd like to get a HTPC too. That being said, here's the build I have in mind...

1x Zotac ION ITX A-E
1x Kingston SSDNow S100 8GB
2x WD Caviar Green 2TB
1x Antec Fusion Remote Case

That's the build so far. Personally I'd go for NAS but I don't have the money for that atm. Perhaps later that's an option. I'd also like to go for 3x 2TB but the Antec Case has only room for 2 HDDs if I recall right.

As far as wiring the thing up goes, I'd like to go directly from the board to the HDTV via HDMI. And later I'd go from the board to my 'needs-to-be-bought-Onkyo TX-SR608' via HDMI.

So yea, that's the plan. Oh yea, I want to use the HTPC only for streaming Audio (Music), Video (1080p, Bluray, h.264) and perhaps some NES/SNES games via an Emulator though this is optional. The main point is streaming Audio/Video. And as the thread title suggests, I want to install the Live Distro of XBMC.

Ok, enough said. Now I'd like to hear your feedback Smile

€dit: Forgot to mention that I'd love to use the Aeon skin cause I love the looks of it and that I already indexed my media via the program 'Media Companion'. So the infos about the actors, the movie itself, the folder.jpg and the fanart.jpg are in the folder of the movie. So it's
Quote:\Movies\
—-\MovieTitle\
—— MovieTitle.mkv
—— folder.jpg
—— fanart.jpg
—— movie-trailer.flv
—— title.nfo
A couple of recommendations......That Zotac board is pretty pricey, for less money you could get the Asus Zacate micro atx board which will outperform the Zotac in price performance and power usage. I am recommending the matx version instead of the mini itx version because it sound's and look's like you wanna use a big htpc case. This motherboard will give you more expandability with future upgrades as it has a pci x16 slot and a pci 1x slot and two pci slots, it also has usb 3.0 and sata 6gbs and it's cheaper than the Zotac. Which brings me to my favorite part of the home theater pc......the case. Antec Fusion Remote is a good case but at it's price point, there are better cases with more features and in your case more hard drive space. The Lian Li case in the link is the same price as the Antec you chose but has more features, such as front usb 3.0, which the asus board will take advantage of, card reader, more space for 3.5 and 2.5 hard drives, and it's an aluminum case. It really is a beautiful case and the dimensions are perfect for your next upgrade (Onkyo), It will blend right in. There is also a link to a video review of the case. I didn't see a power supply in your specs, so I will recommend the Antec Earthwatts 350 power supply.....it is on sale now at newegg for 39.99 free shipping and 24.99 after rebate. Great psu, cool n quiet, and most importantly......more than enough to power up your htpc even with add ons, such as more hard drive's or add in cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811112303

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813131697

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUgjLnlqIbA
So, after your recommendations my build would look like this
Quote:Board/CPU/GPU: ASUS E35M1-M PRO
Case: Lian Li PC-C50B
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-380D
HDD: Kingston SSDNow S100 8GB

right?

And I don't think newegg ships to Germany, so I won't get the rebate on the PSU Smile
Will this system be more potent in displaying Aeon? Like, will it be more 'snappy' ? And the streaming capabilities will be as good as with the Zotac board? Or even better?

The only thing that really bothers me is the look of the Lian Li compared to the Antec. I really like that HiFi look of the Antec Case with the big knob at the front and that silver brushed aluminium.
OP wants to run Live - ie Linux so probably best to avoid Zacate Wink
Yea, I just figured that the Zacate board got an AMD GPU. So I'll avoid that board Smile
I guess my best bet is to stick to eskro's Intel Based HTPC Build and alter it a little like this
Quote:CPU: Intel Celeron Dual-Core E3400, 2x 2.60GHz, boxed
Board: Intel Classic Series DG41WV bulk, G41
GPU: Zotac GeForce GT 430 LP, 1GB DDR3, VGA, DVI, HDMI

then I just have to decide for an PSU and a Case. Though I guess this setup will produce way more noise and heat than my first one with the Zotac board. But it got the advantages of being able to bitstream HD Audio (which would be good when I get the Onkyo, right?) and being potent enough to display any skin with ease.
you dont need the GT430 if your HDTV isnt 3D capable ....
same if you dont have an 'HD-Audio Video Receiver' ....
bitstream HD-Audio is still unstable on linux for now ....
and even on windows, it works but, not using XBMC as player...
So if this is your case, just get a GT210 GPU like i did ...

about the MoBo, worth looking at this GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-D3 LGA775 ($60)

as PSU i suggest either the ANTEC EARTHWATTS 380W or CORSAIR CMPSU-430CX 430W

and for the case, what can i say, its so much about taste and form factor...
best thing to do is check on newegg.com all the available cases they have
and see if one suits you...
Worth looking at those Brands tho --> ANTEC / SILVERSTONE / nMEDIAPC / LIAN-LI

good luck!
Thanks for your input eskro Smile If I'm right, the Onkyo I'm about to get (TX-SR608) is an HD A/V Reciever or am I wrong there?
Sorry, I'm kinda new to this matter.
yepp, that can handle hd-audio!!

i guess a GT430 will suit you best then....
So this build should be perfect for me then
Quote:CPU: Intel Celeron Dual-Core E3400, 2x 2.60GHz, boxed
Board: Intel Classic Series DG41WV bulk, G41
GPU: Zotac GeForce GT 430 LP, 1GB DDR3, VGA, DVI, HDMI
Like I said, it should handle XBMC Live + the Aeon MQ 2 Skin with ease and be able to handle HD Audio for when I get my Onkyo.

One question though. Like I said, my folder structure looks like this (real example now)
Quote:\Movies\
—-\American Gangster\
—— american.gangster.720p.dolbydigital.6ch.h264.mkv
—— american.gangster.720p.dolbydigital.6ch.h264.tbn
—— american.gangster.720p.dolbydigital.6ch.h264-fanart.jpg
—— american.gangster.720p.dolbydigital.6ch.h264.nfo
—— folder.jpg
So the Fanart.jpg and Folder.jpg are saved in each movie's directory. Will that affect the 'snappiness' of the Aeon MQ 2 Skin negatively? Also, the Aeon Skin should be able to get the media flags from this filename's, right? (Sorry, I know this is a little OT)
i would go with this mobo,,, GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-D3 LGA775 ($60)

add the movie year to your movie foder... American Gangster (2007)

and all will be fine....
Ok, thanks for everything eskro! Smile Setup now looks like this
Quote:Case: Lian Li PC-C37A Muse silber, Alu
Board: Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3, G41
CPU: Intel Celeron Dual-Core E3400, 2x 2.60GHz, boxed
GPU: Sparkle GeForce GT 430, 2GB DDR3, VGA, DVI, HDMI
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 380, 380W ATX 2.2
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DIMM Kit 4GB PC3-8500U CL7 (DDR3-1066)
HDD: Kingston SSDNow S100 16GB, 2.5", SATA II
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2000GB, 64MB Cache, SATA II
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2000GB, 64MB Cache, SATA II
I'm just hoping that'll fit into the case Big Grin
Choque Wrote:Ok, thanks for everything eskro! Smile Setup now looks like this

I'm just hoping that'll fit into the case Big Grin

Looks good to me, especially if your using the stock CPU cooler. You'll get great performance with the core 2 and ssd combo.

Be sure to post pictures of the completed build!
I guess I'll replace the stock CPU cooler with a Scythe Big Shuriken
Choque Wrote:I guess I'll replace the stock CPU cooler with a Scythe Big Shuriken

dont need to... at least for now.... save the money...

what about the cases, you checked them all?
have you checked the SilverStone GD05B (Black)?

why 16GB SSD? 8GB is perfect for Linux...

and are you buying from newegg?
Yea, I wanted to go with the 8GB version first (especially cause I'll most likely use openelec) but the 8GB version only got 90MB/s read speed while the 16GB version got 230MB/s read speed. And the price difference is only 11€.
I've checked several HTPC cases and the PC-C37A has exactly the same width as the Onkyo TX-SR608 (435mm) which would make it perfect for putting one on top of the other.
And no, I use a price checking homepage to find the cheapest deal on each of the items. Also, I don't think newegg delivers to Germany.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE]First true HTPC0