• 40(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform
Yeah, I already managed to pass this obstacle.
I have this issue now with the drivers, though.
Currently working on this issue myself.

Thought I'd post my experience with 11.10 to save anybody else some time. Since I've been following this thread it only seems right to share.

apu = E350

11.10 64b server install minimal openbox gui desktop.

11.10 has ubuntu libva1 libva-dev and xvba-va-driver packages. Apparently they correspond in version to the splitted desktop ones.

vainfo fglrxinfo look proper.

I git cloned xbmc installed the dependencies and compiled with vaapi. I used the 11.9 catalyst drivers.

However.......

"Segmentation Fault"

It seems impossible to use the splitted desktop .debs with 11.10 64b since the xbmc dependencies want the official ubuntu ones and attempt to upgrade libva1 libva-dev when installing the dependencies. An echo libva1 hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections on the splitted desktop packages to prevent an upgrade does not work it just breaks more dependencies.

Earlier today I tried 10.04 64b with the splitted desktop libva etc. during ./configure I received an error regarding ffmpeg not configuring properly.

I'll be revisiting 10.04 tomorrow and try to figure out what was going on. Perhaps the key will be compiling xbmc with external ffmpeg. Of course the external ffmpeg used should be compiled against splitted desktop libva. It will be a lot more expedient to figure out a codec vs an entire application.

To sum it up something is wrong with the 11.10 64b ubuntu libva don't bother trying them. If you can figure out how to compile using the splitted desktop libva on 11.10 I'd really like to know how you did it.
Switching repositories from lars-opdenkamp to nathan-renniewaldock on Ubuntu 11.10 solved several problems for me (ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE based system, Catalyst 11.9). It's more stable (no crashes the last days), doesn't run out-of-sync anymore after pausing, runs more smooth in general and 24p runs fine now.
It seems to have the latest nightly builds of Eden (incl. VAAPI support), so with the latest bugfixes/features. If you want to give it a go, simply uninstall XBMC like this (keeps your current settings intact):

Code:
apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin

Comment out the old repository (so you can easily revert it) in /etc/apt/sources.list and add the new one:

Code:
#deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lars-opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr/ubuntu natty main
#deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lars-opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr/ubuntu natty main

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly/ubuntu oneiric main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly/ubuntu oneiric main

Now update APT again and install XBMC:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install xbmc

This should be all to run the latest version(s) Smile
tjones Wrote:Currently working on this issue myself.

Thought I'd post my experience with 11.10 to save anybody else some time. Since I've been following this thread it only seems right to share.

apu = E350

11.10 64b server install minimal openbox gui desktop.

11.10 has ubuntu libva1 libva-dev and xvba-va-driver packages. Apparently they correspond in version to the spirited desktop ones.

vainfo fglrxinfo look proper.

I git cloned xbmc installed the dependencies and compiled with vaapi. I used the 11.9 catalyst drivers.

However.......

"Segmentation Fault"

It seems impossible to use the spirited desktop .debs with 11.10 64b since the xbmc dependencies want the official ubuntu ones and attempt to upgrade libva1 libva-dev when installing the dependencies. An echo libva1 hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections on the spirited desktop packages to prevent an upgrade does not work it just breaks more dependencies.

Earlier today I tried 10.04 64b with the spirited desktop libva etc. during ./configure I received an error regarding ffmpeg not configuring properly.

I'll be revisiting 10.04 tomorrow and try to figure out what was going on. Perhaps the key will be compiling xbmc with external ffmpeg. Of course the external ffmpeg used should be compiled against spirited desktop libva. It will be a lot more expedient to figure out a codec vs an entire application.

To sum it up something is wrong with the 11.10 64b ubuntu libva don't bother trying them. If you can figure out how to compile using the spirited desktop libva on 11.10 I'd really like to know how you did it.

You don't need anything from splitted desktop. Just use libva1 libva-dev xvba-va-driver from the ubuntu repositories.

You might need to set the ENV variables outlined earlier in this thread, but I didn't check that. It just worked after upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10.
Ah yes splitted desktop my bad.

I tried the /etc/environment edit (both xvba and fglrx). It didn't change anything. vainfo sees the driver. It compiles fine however it just doesn't work (crashes with Segmentation Fault).

Did you do any edits to your xorg.conf? I noticed the dri and composite edits here. They didn't change anything for me. Segmentation Fault

Anyway I'm dropping back to 10.04 32b today.

One last note. During my 10.04 64b attempt I installed dependencies manually from the README.linux file within the git package. It then had an issue configuring ffmpeg. With my 11.10 64 attempt I was lazy and did the following instead.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc*.list   ~change oneiric to natty and save
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc

Perhaps the failure was due to the natty switchout of dependencies on oneiric.

Another edit due to reviewing my notes from yesterday:
In 11.10 64b ./bootstrap was failing until I added the following packages.
Code:
sudo apt-get install libltdl7 libltdl-dev

Solution discovered at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102398

Terminal output from failed video launch in my 11.10 64b build using current xbmc compiled from git and ubuntu libva.

Code:
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Running DIL (3.6.0) Version
DtsDeviceOpen: Opening HW in mode 0
DtsDeviceOpen: Create File Failed
libva: libva version 0.32.0
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
Segmentation fault
Crash report available at /home/pinker/xbmc_crashlog-20111020_202601.log
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ vainfo
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :    VAEntrypointVLD

The plot thickens!!

I can reach this point on every build I've tried. It's missing something and that something is probably painfully obvious.

The /etc/environment edits suggested in this thread that I've tried are the following (I've also tried the symlink). vainfo reports back fine.

LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=xvba
LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/va/drivers

tried fglrx instead of xvba neither worked.

xvba driver file information, I'm not sure which version splitted desktop or ubuntu this corresponds to I just found it in my notes.

Code:
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/va
/usr/lib/va/drivers
/usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
/usr/lib/va/drivers/xvba_drv_video.so
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/xvba-video
/usr/share/doc/xvba-video/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/xvba-video/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/xvba-video/README
/usr/share/doc/xvba-video/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/xvba-video/copyright

Oh snap, what about xvba_drv_video.so or fglrx_drv_video.so instead of xvba or fglrx. Bah I just nuked the system.
Success with 10.04.3 64b. I tried installing 32b but the installer was having an issue finding a kernel in the apt sources.

It's playing true 1080p@24 mt2s and mkv h264 etc. at ~40-50% on both cores xbmc declares vaapi is enabled on the steam.

So for 10.04 64b I did the following.

Base system with a/v plenty of tutorials regarding this.

11.9 Catalyst. no dri or composite toggles in xorg.conf reboot after installation.

vaapi

Code:
cd ~/
mkdir vaapi ; cd vaapi
sudo apt-get install wget pkg-config libdrm-dev
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/static/libva/xvba-video/xvba-video_0.8.0-1_amd64.deb
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/static/libva/libva/pkgs/amd64/libva1_0.32.0-1+sds2_amd64.deb
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/static/libva/libva/pkgs/amd64/libva-dev_0.32.0-1+sds2_amd64.de
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

XBMC dependancies.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc*.list

copy top line add 2nd line add prefix deb-src instead of deb and save file

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/unstable/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/unstable/ubuntu lucid main

Code:
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc

vaapi redundancies.

Code:
cd /usr/lib/dri
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so fglrx_drv_video.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/va/drivers/xvba_drv_video.so xvba_drv_video.so
sudo nano /etc/environment

add
Code:
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=xvba

save and exit

reboot

Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core
git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git

**libltdl7 libltdl-dev have already been installed with 10.04 build-dep but sudo apt-get install just to be sure.

Code:
cd ~/xbmc
./bootstrap
./configure --enable-vaapi
make -j2
sudo make install

execute via xbmc it's already in the proper bin directories.

Final note I switched the audio to plughw:0,3 for device and passthrough.

Now onto 11.10 since I really want that 3.0 kernel and better LVM support because my machine will be a server with 8tb of storage.
what does the plugws0:3 do and you actually got xvba 0.8.1 working? i cant i have to use 0 7 8 or xbmc just crashes apon playing a video i did EVERYTHING you did up there many times did you ever run into this problem and overcome it? the xbmc crashing upon playing a video with vaaapi enabled
plughw:0,3 is "alsaspeak" for device 0,3 (the hdmi pcm) with automagic mixing. dmix:0,3 should perform the same function.

It's merely a quick audio shortcut for alsa since I do not have pulseaudio installed and I didn't want to waste time in the xbmc audio setup or an asound.conf. When using the xbmc audio hdmi presets I had no volume control. Note if plughw:0,3 works it's actually more "proper" to use hw:0,3. If you continue to have audio issues make sure everything is unmuted with alsamixer and test your audio via aplay -D whateverdevice /path/to/wav.file.

Yup 0.8 is working in my setup.

Here's something else that might be helpful if you've added multiple ppas to your system some might have other vaapi librarys and force an upgrade breaking your splitted desktop xbmc vaapi build.

To hold back package upgrades do the following. This is of course after you've gotten the splitted desktop installed and xbmc compiled against it properly.

Code:
echo libva1 hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo libva-dev hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo xvba-video hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections

To check a packages status

Code:
sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep libva1

To "unhold" a package to allow upgrades do the following

Code:
echo libva1 install | sudo dpkg --set-selections

You can also lock/unlock packages via synaptic if you have that installed.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

As to your specific setup did you make sure your xbmc user was part of all the necessary groups? As listed on the xbmcbuntu page at the xbmc wiki?

Quote:sudo usermod --group adm,sudo,cdrom,floppy,audio,video,plugdev,netdev,powerdev,fuse,polkituser xbmc

To check do a

Code:
cat /etc/group

To add specific groups while retaining a user's current groups.

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G group1,group2,group3 username

In my setup I needed to add fuse,netdev,video,floppy,audio

There were no polkituser,powerdev groups on my 10.04.3 system.

The only other thing I did that was not already described in this thread was to make a 2nd symlink

Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/va/drivers/xvba_drv_video.so /usr/lib/dri/xvba_drv_video.so

I did that merely to test things out believing the seg fault could be due to a fglrx*.so handoff to xbva*.so and although we made a fglrx symlink no xvba one was made. Both of these files are installed with the xvba driver so I thought that they might want to talk to each other and instead of absolute /locations that they might use relative.

My next test would have been messing around with the /etc/environment file.
Tried the exact same method on 11.10 64 and.........seg fault.

From the new system before compiling.

Code:
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics
OpenGL version string: 4.1.11079 Compatibility Profile Context

pinker@pinker-E350:~$

I tried swapping out the driver to the splitted desktop 0.8. No go. So again I assume there is something wrong with the current ubuntu 11.10 libva. I'm going to try to replace the ubuntu libva (if I can) and install the splitted desktop that worked with 10.04 and recompile against it.
Was able to swap out the libva1 libva-dev xvba-video by letting ubuntu do it's thing then manually downgrading via dkpg.

Recompiled with clean git pull.........seg fault.

First I purged all the ubuntu libva stuffs.
Code:
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ sudo apt-get --purge remove libva1 libva-dev xvba-va-driver vainfo
Code:
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libavcodec-dev libavcodec53 libavfilter-dev libavfilter2 libavformat-dev libavformat53 libgsm1 liborc-0.4-0 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libspeex1 libtheora0 [b]libva1[/b] libvpx0
0 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/8,231 kB of archives.
After this operation, 22.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

it appears libvacodec-dev is compiled against the ubuntu libva.

Code:
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ sudo apt-get install libavcodec-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libavcodec53 libgsm1 liborc-0.4-0 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libspeex1 libtheora0 [b]libva1[/b] libvpx0
Suggested packages:
  libfaad-dev libgsm1-dev libschroedinger-dev libspeex-dev libtheora-dev libraw1394-dev libdc1394-22-dev speex
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libavcodec-dev libavcodec53 libgsm1 liborc-0.4-0 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libspeex1 libtheora0 libva1 libvpx0
0 upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/6,989 kB of archives.
After this operation, 18.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

So I guess we must compile libavcodec-dev libavcodec53 libavfilter-dev libavfilter2 libavformat-dev libavformat53 libgsm1 liborc-0.4-0 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libspeex1 libtheora0 libvpx0 against the splitted desktop libva1/libva-dev.

If I were to compile those I'd have to put a hold on all of them.

I'm done with this for now and will revert back to the 10.04 64b system for sanities sake. Perhaps by 12.04 ubuntu will have their libva stuff for AMD APUs sorted out. Now I just need to get the 3.0 kernel in 10.04.

Edit for anybody who doubts my ubuntu 11.10 splitted desktop vaapi catalyst 11.9 setup.

Code:
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ uname -a
Linux pinker-E350 3.0.0-12-server #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 16:36:30 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.8.0
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics
OpenGL version string: 4.1.11079 Compatibility Profile Context
pinker@pinker-E350:~$

Code:
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ cat /etc/environment
PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=xvba

a reboot was done after setting environment and before compile

Code:
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ ls /usr/lib/va/drivers/
dummy_drv_video.so  fglrx_drv_video.so  xvba_drv_video.so
pinker@pinker-E350:~$ ls /usr/lib/dri
fglrx_dri.so  fglrx_drv_video.so  xvba_drv_video.so

Result after xbmc compile and install = Seg Fault.
is it possible 0.8.0 doesnt like my video card?
I did everything step by step, according the guide in first post. Met a few troubles, but managed to get over them (for example, absence of libcrystalhd-dev for natty on standard ppa, it was available on unstable though, and script for kernel update didnt work for me, i installed each package manually)

Now im building XVMC, using
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/xbmc --enable-vaapi --enable-libbluray

I have
Code:
WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-vaapi, --enable-libbluray

Is it normal? Which way to look?
Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Found a solution.
Quote:configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-vaapi, --enable-libbluray
Does not missing a "cd /xbmc" between post 1 and 2 after ending with bluray?
I have yet another trouble )
Everything seems compiled all right i did
Code:
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/xbmc --enable-vaapi --enable-libbluray
make -j2
sudo make install
All seems fine, except on
Code:
sudo make install
there is an error
Code:
/bin/bash: gtk-update-icon-cache: command not found
Is this critical?
Cause i cant start xbmc using the
Code:
xinit xbmc-standalone
All i got is a small terminal in the corner of the screen with tiny letters.
Also, startx in
Quote:2. type: startx - enter (to start Xorg)
have the same results on my system.
OK, I tried to corner my problems from another way.
Now I have installed Ubuntu server 11.10.
I tackled every problem I had on my way, expect for two.
1. Compile didn't finish.
But for now I don't care as I'm using the PPA instead and I have a bigger problem.
2. The bigger problem:
Code:
xbmc@HTPC:~$ fglrxinfo
Error: unable to open display (null)
xbmc@HTPC:~$ vainfo
vainfo: Error, can't open display: ':0'

I tried using the command
Code:
export DISPLAY=:0
But still the result is the same.

Do I need to install extra packages?
I'm not using Gnome, just CLI.