• 55(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform
erhnam Wrote:In case anyone is interested, here's a new livecd (Ubuntu 11.10 and XBMC pre-Eden) with amd fusion support. I tried to fix the earlier issues found. Use unetbootin for USB creation. Use the Try Ubuntu without installing option to try XBMC.

http://xbmcfreak.binkey.nl/XBMCbuntu-v12.zip

I tried the new LiveCD from an USB stick on my laptop. Everything goes fine untill it says 'Starting XBMCbuntu; Starting LightDM Display Manager; Stopping XBMCbuntu'. After that it shows the terminal and stops doing anything.
Here's a new version btw:

http://xbmcfreak.binkey.nl/XBMCbuntu-v14.zip

It's working fine on my Zotac zbox nano ad10 system.
I'll try that one. My test was on my notebook (i7+nvidia card) btw so maybe that is what's causing the problem. I will try the new build on my Llano htpc later.
Tried getting hardware acceleration to work again on my AMD A4, this time using XVBA directly, instead of using VAAPI. VAAPI gave me some annoying errors (that seemed unique across the entire community), and it seems XVBA does not work out of the box either. OpenELEC gives me out of the box support for XVBA, but I need some additional features programs running on this server.

I followed wsnipex's guide, installed xbmc-xvba, encountering the following errors when trying video playback:

Code:
20:58:03 T:140310643058432   ERROR: XVBA::Check - device didn't reset in reasonable time
20:58:03 T:140310643058432  NOTICE: XVBA::Check waiting for display reset event

Full log here: http://pastebin.com/gk7dQ9nt

Anyone encountered this before?
jazzparadigm Wrote:Tried getting hardware acceleration to work again on my AMD A4, this time using XVBA directly, instead of using VAAPI. VAAPI gave me some annoying errors (that seemed unique across the entire community), and it seems XVBA does not work out of the box either. OpenELEC gives me out of the box support for XVBA, but I need some additional features programs running on this server.

I followed wsnipex's guide, installed xbmc-xvba, encountering the following errors when trying video playback:

Code:
20:58:03 T:140310643058432   ERROR: XVBA::Check - device didn't reset in reasonable time
20:58:03 T:140310643058432  NOTICE: XVBA::Check waiting for display reset event

Full log here: http://pastebin.com/gk7dQ9nt

Anyone encountered this before?

We have seen this during start of development and changed the amount of time to wait before display reset. I cannot find the commit at the moment, will investigate.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
fritsch Wrote:We have seen this during start of development and changed the amount of time to wait before display reset. I cannot find the commit at the moment, will investigate.

Alright, I'm building from source as we speak, so I will let you know if that fixes things. I assume the binaries in the PPA are built from the xvba branch?
jazzparadigm Wrote:Alright, I'm building from source as we speak, so I will let you know if that fixes things. I assume the binaries in the PPA are built from the xvba branch?

building from source right now won't change this, Plz wait.
In the meantime you can try with shared surfaces disabled.
Ah shortly wait with building the really latest GIT. We currently have a problem concerning interlacing. This is the reason, why we did not update the ppa yet.

From your GL Version: You have fglrx 11.11 installed?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yes, installed on a complete fresh system today. Are all branches broken at the moment? Will reinstall the binary from the PPA and try to switch shared surfaces. What is the effect of turning this off?

Unfortunately, using binary from PPA (shared surfaces off) does not make the video (1080p mkv) play. No artifacts and flickering this time though. Same errors:

Code:
22:04:15 T:139657065735936   ERROR: XVBA::CreateSession - failed to create decoder session, line 563
22:04:15 T:139657065735936   ERROR: Decode - avcodec_decode_video returned failure
22:04:15 T:139657065735936  NOTICE: XVBA::Check waiting for display reset event
22:04:17 T:139657065735936   ERROR: XVBA::Check - device didn't reset in reasonable time
only a black picture?

if yes, try to toggle fullscreen to window mode and back. After a few secs it should work.
erhnam Wrote:Here's a new version btw:

http://xbmcfreak.binkey.nl/XBMCbuntu-v14.zip

It's working fine on my Zotac zbox nano ad10 system.

Just tested it on my HTPC. Worked fine this time Smile.
Only tested it for a few minutes but I noticed the following:
1) Overscan wasn't set properly in Ati CCC. I changed it by logging in to the desktop but a reboot resetted it.
2) Wake on USB doesn't work.
3) The remote stops working after suspending the machine.

I also had these issues on my own Ubuntu installation but didn't have time to fix them yet. Compared to my own Ubuntu install on USB stick this LiveCD boots crazy fast. Big Grin
There is especially a difference in doing deinterlacing.

If Shared surfaces are disabled & interlacing:
Image data is loaded into a pixel buffer object and deinterlaced in there with opengl the resulting texture is passed to the output
else
Image data is loaded into a pixel buffer object and a texture created and output

With shared buffers disabled you have more CPU Load in both cases (interlaced and non interlaced content), but it works more stable.

Shared Buffers enabled:
Directly passed out by fglrx stuff. Less CPU Load, cause nothing has to be done in between.
wsnipex Wrote:only a black picture?

if yes, try to toggle fullscreen to window mode and back. After a few secs it should work.

That works, but only when I toggle to windowed mode. Switching back to fullscreen introduces flickering/artifacts. Any idea when new version is released on PPA or when building from GIT source is once again possible? It does seem quite promising thus far.
fritsch Wrote:With shared buffers disabled you have more CPU Load in both cases (interlaced and non interlaced content), but it works more stable.

Hi !

As you maybe know I am trying to make life easyer for Intel users with some guides, patches for VAAPI decoding and other testing stuff with Intel and kernel developers.

I am really impressed what you did here with the AMD support of XBMC. Now it looks quite perfect which was a complete mess months ago before you started working on it. Congrats to all the work done on this !

On Intel side it is also getting better and better. The only thing we miss is VAAPI deinterlacing. Work is already begun, but I am afraid that it will be a long time till we can get that work.

Until that I was thinking to do a software or OpenGL based deinterlacing.
the problem is that i am not so experienced in this area of programming, but I am learning.

Do you think that the way you do it with XVBA, so that deinterlacing is done with OpenGL, can be possible also with VAAPI ?

Thx, Cheers, Alan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
VAAPI is really impressive. I installed the htpc of a friend four days ago using your howto on an intel sandybridge system. It works perfectly.

For the deinterlace code. This code was entirely written by Fernetmenta. I am all over happy to understand in the mean time what is going on in there.

But i think it can be adapted more easy than coding the VAAPI internal way, cause the structure and architecture should totally be the same.

I sorted the specific patch out for you:
https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...a558531cf1
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform14