• 56(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform
fritsch Wrote:VAAPI is really impressive. I installed the htpc of a friend four days ago using your howto on an intel sandybridge system. It works perfectly.

I'm glad that it worked for you. It will become even more simpler with Linux Kernel 3.2 and even with 3.3.

fritsch Wrote:I sorted the specific patch out for you:
https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...a558531cf1

Thanks for the help. I'll look at it and try to implement it for VAAPI. THANKS
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Fritsch pointed me to the fix, switching off Compiz fixes all my issues.
Hello,

It looks like you guys are working really hard on getting hardware acceleration working. I am thinking about buying a AMD fusion system and have been having trouble working out if the hardware acceleration is at a point where it's worth buying a fusion board.

I have no problem compiling xbmc from source etc. So I was hoping if someone could tell me if the hardware acceleration is at a point where it can be used for 1080p playback?

Sorry if I am asking a question that's already answered somewhere else, in that case my google skills are not what they once were!

Thanks
cadair Wrote:Hello,

It looks like you guys are working really hard on getting hardware acceleration working. I am thinking about buying a AMD fusion system and have been having trouble working out if the hardware acceleration is at a point where it's worth buying a fusion board.

I have no problem compiling xbmc from source etc. So I was hoping if someone could tell me if the hardware acceleration is at a point where it can be used for 1080p playback?

Sorry if I am asking a question that's already answered somewhere else, in that case my google skills are not what they once were!

Thanks
you don´t need to compile it, only if you like to Big Grin . VAAPI support for HD playback is working very good now. I personally like M´troys guide (page 67) to start with (or you wait for the livecd).
Even better should be XBVA support, but i haven´t tried it yet (there is a new thread about it).
Snippo Wrote:Just tested it on my HTPC. Worked fine this time Smile.
Only tested it for a few minutes but I noticed the following:
1) Overscan wasn't set properly in Ati CCC. I changed it by logging in to the desktop but a reboot resetted it.
2) Wake on USB doesn't work.
3) The remote stops working after suspending the machine.

I also had these issues on my own Ubuntu installation but didn't have time to fix them yet. Compared to my own Ubuntu install on USB stick this LiveCD boots crazy fast. Big Grin

1) Overscan wasn't set properly in Ati CCC. I changed it by logging in to the desktop but a reboot resetted it.

How do you set/configure this? I'll add this to the next version.
this will completely disable underscan(if you have black borders):

Code:
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
alanwww1 Wrote:Hi !

On Intel side it is also getting better and better. The only thing we miss is VAAPI deinterlacing. Work is already begun, but I am afraid that it will be a long time till we can get that work.

Until that I was thinking to do a software or OpenGL based deinterlacing.
the problem is that i am not so experienced in this area of programming, but I am learning.

Do you think that the way you do it with XVBA, so that deinterlacing is done with OpenGL, can be possible also with VAAPI ?

Thx, Cheers, Alan

As long as there is no advanced de-initerlacing like vdpau temporal or temporal/spatial provided by the hw decoder I would prefer the OpenGL de-interlacing.
Unfortunately XvBA does currently not allow to bypass the deinterlacer when transfering a field from a video surface to a texture. It gives you a de-interlaced frame. Furthermore the API does not provide any settings to influence yuv/rgb conversion which is a negative too.
I have implemented an additional method which reads a video surface back into system memory (pbo) and make use XBMC's NV12 rendering. This method puts more load on the CPU but has better capabilities in terms of deinterlacing.

VAAPI has a function to transfer fields separately. If it's possible to get non deinteralced fields, I would go for this method.
Thanks for the info Rainer ! I'll try to look into it. I might bother you with some questions later if it is not a problem :-)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
alanwww1 Wrote:Thanks for the info Rainer ! I'll try to look into it. I might bother you with some questions later if it is not a problem :-)

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
anyone have a download link to the latest pre-eden/eden beta live cd that I can install on a hard drive for an ION and or Fusion system. Seems the new test ones out there do not work. I am still using a year old xbmc build.
Thanks
Hello. 1st post in the XBMC forums. I have followed this thread for the last 50-60 pages trying to wrap my head around XMBC and the various pieces required to make it work on the AMD/Radeon platform. I am a Unix sysadmin by trade and have a good bit of experience with Redhat, but virtually all my experience is with headless clients...haven't run X in ages. All of this ppa, .deb, apt stuff is new for me and I am a total video/audio/xmbc noob.

I recently bought a Foxconn Barebones R40-A1. Its got a AMD E-350 with a Radeon HD6310. Add 8GB of RAM and a 500GB Drive. My goal is to replace an outdated fileserver, hopefully run a few VM's with KVM, and run XMBC (so no xbmc live for me).

For those of us that are installing 11.10 (oneiric), I assume Mtroi's guide (on page 67 of this thread) is still the most relevant?

A few other questions:

1. Is xvba a replacement for libva? I'm gathering from these threads that xvba is still in development?

2. If #1 is true, eden is going to be released with xvba (not libva)?

3. Mtroi's guide installs XMBC from a ppa that is not the same "official" team-xbmc ppa. What is different about that one?

4. Admittedly, i've been moving forward with portions of Mtroi's guide. So far, i've installed the catalyst drivers 11.12 and libva (but not xbmc). I downloaded VLC and have been testing 720p and 1080p files encoded with H264. 720p plays ok in VLC. 1080p...not so much. From what I gather though, thats to be expected in VLC, but that XBMC (at least the one from the nathan-renniewaldock ppa) is much better. Am I getting this right?

Sorry, lots of questions. I'm trying to be very methodical about understanding the cause and effect relationships between all of these driver/pieces of software, etc.

Lastly, this thread seems to have slowed down a bit recently. Is this still the best place for info for ubuntu/amd/radeon/xbmc users? Maybe its just the holidays?

Thanks,
Parker
@pjohn07:

There is a stable release of xbmc, but I guess it lacks the vaapi support, therefore "we" use the sources of rennie or lars, which rely on the unstable code.

My guide should get it running for you, just updated to the latest AMD driver (11.12) a few days ago. But since last weekend I changed my installation to the xvba version and I am amazed by the smooth video playback even if you jump through the video. The audio was in sync just a few seconds after 10 min. jumps.

Anyway, here is the link: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

If I got something wrong, feel free to correct my statements. Oo
Thanks MTroi. Already thread through the other thread in full. I'm already off doing a ubuntu reinstall. Smile
I take that you don't know wikipedia.org yet. Questions like #1 are easily answered using a simple query on the vast database of wikipedia knowledge.

Quote:XvBA is a Linux equivalent of Microsoft's DirectX Video Acceleration (DxVA) API for Windows[1] and a competitor to NVIDIA's Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix (VDPAU)[2].

In November 2009 a XvBA backend for Video Acceleration API (VA API) was released[3], which means any software that supports VA API will also support XvBA.[2]

There are four video accelerators.
  • VAAPI (Intel/FOSS)
  • DxVA (Microsoft)
  • VDPAU (nVidia)
  • XvBA (AMD)
IIRC, only VAAPI is open source, and both proprietary VDPAU and XvBA support "talking with" VAAPI. This way, video acceleration can be in open source software independent of your choice of hardware, provided you have the proper backend and communication drivers.

I guess Eden is going to be released with XvBA support if it's considered stable enough. Until then, the easy way out is a hardware specific build of OpenELEC.
Try Xubuntu. It's the new Ubuntu.
Redsandro Wrote:I guess Eden is going to be released with XvBA support if it's considered stable enough. Until then, the easy way out is a hardware specific build of OpenELEC.

I think you guess wrong. XvBA ist just 2 month old. We call it experimental and still want to fix a lot of bugs. Eden will support vaapi, which also was in Dharma, but not enabled by default.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform14