OpenELEC HTPC
A slim Sony BD drive can be found for 80$ on newegg, i don`t see how it is expensive considering a standalone CE device costs 100$
SpectreX Wrote:A slim Sony BD drive can be found for 80$ on newegg, i don`t see how it is expensive considering a standalone CE device costs 100$

These things have to be purchased in bulk, so think about the costs involved in stocking, a HDD-less version, a drive less version, a blu-ray version, a dvd-rom version, and then all the combinations of the above.

For now, unless demand dictates, there is 2 versions.
Malard Wrote:Hi,

Thanks for all the comments, basically just to set the record straight, I found a manufacturer of this existing hardware, its not built for us, but the hardware is generic enough that it means it should work on pretty much any linux flavor you like.

If you wan't to put anything but the OpenELEC distro that Pulse-Eight supplies then the only support you will get is with the hardware (but I will try to help where I can by hosting any compatible drivers etc)

I will post some interior shots of the case, (the one's I have are from the manufacturer), the HDD is a standard 2.5", the target audience is new users, offering them an entire solution, whereby they can store content on the device along side the actual 'appliance/installation' seems to me to be a win, considering the cost and complexity of having to get users to shell out for an additional item before they can use it.

Yes it will be an external power brick, they are relatively cheap, also housing the power outside reduces the cooling requirements and as such the size and cost, your comment about the power cable I think is muted, because you can get replacements for less than $10 at a radio shack.

It's not perfect, but I haven't found anything else that really can compete in terms of features and functionality that come in at the same price point, unless you roll your own, and for that, i've put up a case that isnt that much bigger but will take standard components.

M

Thank you for the comments, Malard. And thank you for the PM.

I didn't know Pulse-Eight basically got the hardware/box from a 3rd party. So since it's not being built in-house, you wouldn't be able to do things like building in the RF receiver.

All my points are minor criticisms. If anything, my biggest criticism is the case. Even still, it's probably the best looking case in this form factor. I don't know if Pulse-Eight has any say in how the case looks, but that might be something to reconsider.

I'd get rid of that angled corner. A simple round edge-lit button on the front would look more attractive. My opinion of course.

Anyway, good work. I welcome anything "XBMC-able".
Thanks, basically the case is fixed for now, I personally like it, with case designs, its always going to be personal preference.
I've got some updates for those interested:

The HTPC will ship with a HDMI cable, and a Mini-DP -> VGA adaptor, so suitable for all users that way.

The WiFi is now internal and I will get the photos updated.

The power brick is 65W max and made by LiteOn

Cheers
Malard Wrote:I've got some updates for those interested:

The HTPC will ship with a HDMI cable, and a Mini-DP -> VGA adaptor, so suitable for all users that way.

The WiFi is now internal and I will get the photos updated.

The power brick is 65W max and made by LiteOn

Cheers

Thanks for the updates, will it come with a remote and will there be an eSATA option? Also what's the expected retail price for one without an optical drive?
This is the solution I have been looking for. I have wanted to replace my xbox's with a hardware based solution that was not a PC but could never find one.

yeah I konw its a PC, but its the closest thing to what I want.

Maybe you should look at selling it as a bundle with the remote as well.

Does it come with xbmc pre-installed?

I like the idea of an esata port as well.

Mick
Hi, to both above, please check the website, you can get it without optical, there is no e-sata i'm afraid, but you can get the remote bundled with it if you want.

Thanks
Malard Wrote:Hi, to both above, please check the website, you can get it without optical, there is no e-sata i'm afraid, but you can get the remote bundled with it if you want.

Thanks

I must be blind but I don't see any price mentioned on the website.
Go to the OpenELEC HTPC page and you have two options: "with DVD-ROM" and "No DVD-ROM".
You can also choose to include the remote: see "No remote included".

Hope it helps.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
hudo Wrote:Go to the OpenELEC HTPC page and you have two options: "with DVD-ROM" and "No DVD-ROM".
You can also choose to include the remote: see "No remote included".

Hope it helps.

h.udo

Ok got it thanks, I was just simply looking at the website you first posted and I didn't click through to the main site.

The price is competitive but I'd of liked to have seen it at a lower price point, especially considering I can buy a Lenovo IdeaCentre or ASUS Eee Box that will run other applications all for around the same money or alternatively I can buy an ATV2 for just $99.

$150-250 would be the perfect price range for this device.
There is absolutely nothing stopping you from running other applications on this machine. Just install your favorite OS and off you go. After all, the hardware is pretty common.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
hudo Wrote:There is absolutely nothing stopping you from running other applications on this machine. Just install your favorite OS and off you go. After all, the hardware is pretty common.

h.udo

Well my point is that the Lenovo Ideacentre includes Windows 7 for less money, this option doesn't so I'd end up paying even more.
crooksy Wrote:Well my point is that the Lenovo Ideacentre includes Windows 7 for less money, this option doesn't so I'd end up paying even more.

This is correct. This is an early adopters box for people who'd rather avoid the hassle of putting together components and then crossing their fingers that an install of XBMC Live will work on the first go. As far as I understand, it's not especially intended for dual booters, people who feel comfortable with jailbraking, or those already extremely comfortable with the XBMC install process. Really, this box is probably not intended for you. It's intended for you to give to your mom.

Edit: You'll also notice several thousand threads in every single forum describing various difficulties in getting XBMC to work with a particular OS using particular hardware. I'd bet over 50% of those are coming from WinXP users. Ideally, with a box like this, you wouldn't get questions like, "Why does it look like everything is in a fine mesh net" and "why does it stop before it can start" and "Video causes my computer to BSOD" and "I installed XBMC on the ATV2 and it keeps saying I need to update, so I did, and now nothing works." Instead, the hardware is designed to work with the software, and both come packaged together.
crooksy Wrote:Well my point is that the Lenovo Ideacentre includes Windows 7 for less money, this option doesn't so I'd end up paying even more.

You're talking about the Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150? This one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883108321

I compared it against the OpenELEC HTPC, based purely on the specs. They're similar, but overall, it seems the OpenELEC HTPC still comes out on top. Keep in mind that I don't have either of these devices. I'm welcoming of anything XBMC-able and I have no bias. Here are the main differences:

OpenELEC:
2GB DDR3 RAM
1Gbps Ethernet
Mini-Display Port (and a MiniDP-to-VGA adapter)
Atom D525 1.8GHz
8.5"x8.5"x1.57" in dimension*
OpenELEC as the "OS"
320GB (Edited as per Malard's update)
$412.48 with remote

IdeaCentre Q150:
2GB DDR2 RAM
10/100Mbps Ethernet
No Mini-Display Port (but it has a discrete VGA port. No VGA-to-MiniDP adapter though.)
Atom D510 1.66GHz
6.8"x6.05"x0.85" in dimension
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit^
250GB
$349.99

*The OpenELEC has a larger footprint, but it's using the same casing as the DVD option. So it's size is really attributed to the optical drive. Maybe Pulse-Eight could have chosen a different/smaller case for the no-DVD option.

^Even though the Q150 packs a 64-bit CPU, they've only included a 32-bit OS. OpenELEC also comes in 64-bit flavors. I'm guessing/hoping Pulse-Eight will included OpenELEC 64-bit.

The other unmentioned bonus to the OpenELEC HTPC is that there is (should be, anyway) dedicated support for its hardware and software (OpenELEC). This being the XBMC forum, you're probably going to install XBMC Windows on the Q150. If there are any issues with it, you can't go to Lenovo and expect an answer in a timely manner. You'll have to rely on this and other forums for support. With the OpenELEC HTPC, you can rely on this forum, the OpenELEC forum, and Pulse-Eight's support. They know exactly what you have, so issues should be resolved quicker. That might be worth the ~$60 "premium" already.

You might be saying "I don't need the gigabit Ethernet. I don't need the Mini-Display Port. I don't need the 64-bit, and I want to be able to browse online." If that's the case, it seems you've already made your decision. Keep in mind these products were designed for different purposes. And while the Q150's apparent differences might outweigh the OpenELEC HTPC, spec-for-spec (and support), the OpenELEC HTPC is a better device.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC HTPC0