OpenELEC HTPC
Some of my housemates who I will be leaving shortly have been very impressed with my xbmc system and have asked if I could build one that they could take home.

Openelec seems like the perfect solution as it will not need any maintainace, only thing is lack of sickbeard.

Is there any possibility of sickbeard etc being included in the future?
jdbrookes Wrote:[...] No underlying OS to update and worry about. [...]

OpenELEC already updates the entire system, including the OS, right? I ask because I never bothered looking at the differences from version to version. It works, I like it and recommend it to all my friends.

Justcop Wrote:Some of my housemates who I will be leaving shortly have been very impressed with my xbmc system and have asked if I could build one that they could take home.

Openelec seems like the perfect solution as it will not need any maintainace, only thing is lack of sickbeard.

You have to ask that to OpenELEC devs.
I don't think there is anything stopping that from happening but than again I'm no coder.

Would be a fantastic addition, do.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I'm finally getting off my lazy ass and building out a decent HTPC setup for my house. After a lot of reading, OpenELEC seems like a good solution for one of the Zotac systems and teamed with an SSD, should make for a very fast booting system.

My question is that since it is a stripped down OS specifically for XBMC, will I run into problems installing extra plugins from the official repository? I don't mind doing some tinkering, but I'm trying to make this as easy on myself as possible the first go round.

Thanks!
From what I've read, some add-ons try to write to 'forbidden' areas and therefore don't work with OpenELEC because the underlying OS is read-only.

One more reason for add-on authors to respect the rules. Wink

No, you shouldn't have any problems at all. Your hardware is mainstream.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Justcop Wrote:Some of my housemates who I will be leaving shortly have been very impressed with my xbmc system and have asked if I could build one that they could take home.

They're currently working on it, together with Couchpotato Wink
This box sounds perfect to me. I would consider it to replace my ATV1 (which already has openelec installed).

1. Would it be difficult to swap the HDD with a SSD? Maybe someone can post pictures of the internals of this box. A small 80Mb SSD would satify my needs.

2. How is the preformance of this box with 1080p H.264 playback? And how well does XBMC library mode handle large media libraries (as in 1000+ movies).
ASUS Chromebox (celeron), Openelec 5.0.8, Aeon Shednox
Panasonic GT60, Cambridge Audio TV2
Synology 411j
mauzzz Wrote:This box sounds perfect to me. I would consider it to replace my ATV1 (which already has openelec installed).

1. Would it be difficult to swap the HDD with a SSD? Maybe someone can post pictures of the internals of this box. A small 80Mb SSD would satify my needs.

2. How is the preformance of this box with 1080p H.264 playback? And how well does XBMC library mode handle large media libraries (as in 1000+ movies).

Swapping for an SSD will be trivial, the drive is mounted via the bottom mounts, so you need to remove 6 screws holding the mainboard to the chassis, flip the board over and unscrew 4 more screws, once you've done that the drive will pop out and you can put any 2.5" drive you like in its stead (as long as its SATA)
The box is pretty sweet, and seems like it would work for me. Just the price point is a tad bit on the expensive side compared to competitors like Asus O Play and Boxee Box. 99 and 199 respectively.

I'd be willing to drop 200 for this, maybe a bit more, but over that seems premium for not much else?
The boxee box, isnt a full blown pc, essentially this is. Hence the cost difference.
radiantdreamer Wrote:The box is pretty sweet, and seems like it would work for me. Just the price point is a tad bit on the expensive side compared to competitors like Asus O Play and Boxee Box. 99 and 199 respectively.

I'd be willing to drop 200 for this, maybe a bit more, but over that seems premium for not much else?

You are comparing apples to oranges... Both the asus and the boxee box are locked down media players, on which you get the software and functions they want you to give.

With the Openelec HTPC you get a real pc with which you can do what you want... xbmc is just an option more.
Malard Wrote:The boxee box, isnt a full blown pc, essentially this is. Hence the cost difference.
That's a really dumb statement, mini pcs are the way forward to my mind, if the Open Elec HTPC box works as well as my Asrock Ion then there onto a winner the only problem is it looks as rubbish as all the revo's (sorry revo users)Eek
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Quote:You are comparing apples to oranges... Both the asus and the boxee box are locked down media players, on which you get the software and functions they want you to give.

With the Openelec HTPC you get a real pc with which you can do what you want... xbmc is just an option more

I agree to 100% but the Openelec concept is branded as an appliance which makes it understandable why its hardware would be compared with other appliances.

My view is that the perfect appliance would have a lighter, cheaper HW like e.g. ATV2 while I prefer a ubuntu base (xbmcLive) for my "thicker" HTPC+download+media server.

With that said, that HW does not seem to exist yet so they have to sell what exists Smile
If you want a box that only runs just OpenELEC and XBMC, and doesnt allow the user to do anything else with the kit, then that I don't think doesnt exist, and you would be in your right mind to ask why it isnt cheaper.

That said, this is just a standard HTPC being shipped with OpenELEC and being supported by Pulse-Eight and as such is charged for accordingly
What if you want to change the XBMC installation on your OpenELEC. Like increase the font size in font.xml? Would that be possible trough a network share (accessing the font.xml) on a windows machine (running the editor program)? Anyone already know this?
Jack, its just a native openelec install, so you can do anything you like via ssh.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC HTPC0