XBMC won't load after install
I purchased a new laptop and wanted to install xbmc on it, but it won't even run. After installation, I choose run and then the program never shows up and eventually the computer locks up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, older versions, turning off antivirus, compatibility mode. I would give a log if I could. My laptop is an nvidia card and an i7 with all drivers up to date. I would appreciate any help.
kays00 Wrote:I purchased a new laptop and wanted to install xbmc on it, but it won't even run. After installation, I choose run and then the program never shows up and eventually the computer locks up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, older versions, turning off antivirus, compatibility mode. I would give a log if I could. My laptop is an nvidia card and an i7 with all drivers up to date. I would appreciate any help.

What Operating system are using? You might have a Direct X or a .NET Framework issue? I'm not really sure! whats your nvidia mark/type?

Try and download the packages below and see if they solve the issue. I recommend uninstalling XBMC completely then install:-

1- DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
2- Microsoft .NET Framework 4 I'm not completely sure that this is required but its worth having on your system.
3- Install XBMC.

When I installed XBMC first on my systems I did not have to install anything else on top of XBMC installation file! I'm using Windows 7 x64 ultimate on my systems with ATI 5770 GPUs.

Cheers,
EG.
It still won't work. I appreciate the help, though.
You shouldn't need to do any of the things you did. XBMC is currently designed to run best in Win7. If you are running Win7, you should be perfectly fine. Typically, the only reason it won't run at the outset is if you aren't up to date on the end user runtime that elitegamer linked to. Turn off compatibility mode. Uninstall. Install the directx runtime linked above. Install. Run XBMC.

That's all that should be necessary. What kind of nvidia card are you using? With an i7, I'm assuming is at least DX9, but I figure I'd better check, just in case.

Edit: Also, with all the messing about you did, make sure you are running in default mode, not portable.
We need to have a look at the log file, and ideally we need debugging to be on. To turn on debugging press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\advancedsettings.xml

and click Ok then answer Yes when asked if you want to create a new file. When Notepad opens paste the following into Notepad and save then close it.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <loglevel>1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Now run XBMC, let it crash and close it. Now press Windows-R again and this time type:

%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log

and click OK. This should open the xbmc.log file. Copy and paste the contents into pastebin.com so we can have a look.

JR
I can't even produce a log file. The program never appears to load up even though when I attempt to shut down it says that a program is still open and not responding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC won't load after install0