trying to putty in
how do I install zsh thru winscp?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
If you connect using WinSCP you can click the Open Terminal button (ctrl-t), which allows you to enter commands. Then enter the command:

apt-get install zsh

After that, you will need to edit /etc/master.passwd, which you can do in WinSCP in the GUI.
I have been using WinSCP to send commands on the rare occasions that I need to. I figured I would just wait until all the bugs with the latest iOS are ironed out, the jailbreaks that go with it and then the XBMC code that will sit on top of it. Once all that is stable I'll restore the ATV2 with the latest firmware and go through the setup process again which would fix it.
ascl_ Wrote:I had a similar problem, and it was definitely related to doing a tethered jailbreak and then an un-tethered on top (which is not recommended, but hey, I'm lazy Wink ).

If you can connect with WinSCP, then you should be able to rectify the situation. WinSCP allows you to send commands without actually starting a shell, and, for me at least, the problem was with bash. You can confirm this pretty easily by using your SFTP program (or WinSCP, or something similar), and viewing /var/log/syslog after attempting to log in. I saw something like this:

You can then view the crash report to see exactly what happened:

This suggests the problem is an incompatibility between ncurses and the shell (bash) that you are using when logging in. This can probably be fixed by rebuilding ncurses or bash.... but I took the easy way out and installed zsh (again, WinSCP allows you to connect and run commands without running a shell, so you can do apt-get install zsh), and then changed my default shell by editing /etc/master.passwd, and editing the line for 'root' (and mobile if you log in as mobile) so that the log in shell is /bin/zsh rather than /bin/sh.

I know exactly what the jailbreaks install, but installing one on top of the other has introduced some kind of incompatibility -- which I am sure could be fixed, but I didn't bother spending any more time on it... I'm not doing any scripting or anything on it, so zsh is just fine.

Hope this long winded post helps more than it confuses!

Maybe I'm missing something but why wouldn't you just backup your XBMC/userdata folder and jailbreak again rather than try to get zsh on the atv2?

There's no telling what other incompatibilities have been caused by jailbreaking a jailbroken atv2. Pretty sure you'd be better off resolving that issue first (i.e. restore iOS and jailbreak again) so your atv2 is in a known good state and going from there.
That would be the safest option, I was simply providing the information on how to get a log in shell working again in case anyone needed it.

(FWIW the system is working fine, but when the next official release of xbmc happens, I'll do exactly what you suggest).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
trying to putty in0