[HOWTO] Simultaneous SPDIF/HDMI sound on the Zbox HD-ID11
After hours of going crazy and challenging my patience I've finally managed to get the sound working the way it had to be on my XBMCFreak 10.1 Maverick livecd v2 installation on the ZBOX HD-ID11 hardware (ubuntu 10.10). I thought I should share my findings to spare you the pain...

add the following to "/etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf" (might not exist yet)
Code:
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

add the following to "/etc/pulse/default.pa" (might not exist yet)
Code:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,3

remove any existing ".asoundrc" from your home directory (if applicable; might not exist yet)
Code:
rm ~/.asoundrc

create a new ".asoundrc" file and paste the following in it
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "both"
}
}

pcm.both {
type route
slave {
pcm multi
channels 6
}
ttable.0.0 1.0
ttable.1.1 1.0
ttable.0.2 1.0
ttable.1.3 1.0
ttable.0.4 1.0
ttable.1.5 1.0
}

pcm.multi {
type multi
slaves.a {
pcm "tv"
channels 2
}
slaves.b {
pcm "receiver"
channels 2
}
slaves.c {
pcm "analog"
channels 2
}
bindings.0.slave a
bindings.0.channel 0
bindings.1.slave a
bindings.1.channel 1
bindings.2.slave b
bindings.2.channel 0
bindings.3.slave b
bindings.3.channel 1
bindings.4.slave c
bindings.4.channel 0
bindings.5.slave c
bindings.5.channel 1
}

pcm.tv {
type hw
card 1
device 3
channels 2
}

pcm.receiver {
type hw
card 0
device 1
channels 2
}

pcm.analog {
type hw
card 0
device 0
channels 2
}

In the XBMC configuration go to "Settings->System->Audio Output"

Audio output: Optical/Coax
Speaker configuration: 7.1
AC3 capable receiver: no
DTS capable receiver: yes
Audio output device: Custom (plug:both)
Passthrough output device: Custom (plug:both)

!!!Reboot!!!

When rebooted.... alls sound should work. Including navigation sounds from both outputs. Analog output should work too, but I haven't tested it.
I'm not entirely sure 7.1 surround is working because my receiver supports it, but I have a 4 speaker stereo setup connected to it. Actually, I think the config is for 5.1... So please correct my findings if you know how to! I hope to never have to dig so deep to get results again on this subject :p

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Works like a charm. Thx for that.
Hello, need a little help. Same hardware same XBMC freak version. I FTD'd into the box and created the three files above (none of the files were on my system). I put the settings as suggested still no sound. I'm not going into a receiver though, I'm going straight HDMI into a TV with an HDMI port. I get picture, but still no sound. Is there something else I should be doing?
Thank you to everyone for this awesome software!
I also have an HD-ID11-U and I'm using this same configuration of .asoundrc and default.pa. I can confirm that I get audio both in the way of menu clicks and ROM emulation and also when watching HD video. My output is HDMI to my receiver, otherwise I'm configured much like you are. However, I am noticing very regular audio drop-outs, especially during HD video. Is anyone else seeing this with the Zotac HD-ID11-U and xbmc Eden?
I've written a howto for simultaneous output to both HDMI and SPDIF, but in a way that it outputs stereo on HDMI, and AC3 5.1 on SPDIF.
http://www.crutzi.info/xbmc-simultaneous...ound-sound

Unfortunately it involves compiling the a52 plugin, as it's usually not provided by distributions. But it makes it possible to adjust 5.1 volume within XBMC, bypassing passthrough. The .asoundrc in my howto is for the Asrock ION 330, but should work on ID11 too, when changing
Code:
pcm.hdmi "hw:0,3"
to
Code:
pcm.hdmi "hw:1,3"

It works flawlessly on my asrock btw.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOWTO] Simultaneous SPDIF/HDMI sound on the Zbox HD-ID110