Play or view playlist?
Is there a way to either play a playlist or view a playlist when it is added to the homemenu?
Some I would like to view and some I would like to automatically play.

Thanks,
Mark
mwkurt Wrote:Is there a way to either play a playlist or view a playlist when it is added to the homemenu?
Some I would like to view and some I would like to automatically play.

Thanks,
Mark

Playlists play Smile

Edit: Add the playlist you want to view as a favorite and those you want to play as a playlist.
-stoli-
Hi Stoli,

That's great! Now if I want a playlist to just display the contents, where do I need to go to change the playmedia tag to showmedia tag...Home.xml?

Thanks,
Mark
mwkurt Wrote:Hi Stoli,

That's great! Now if I want a playlist to just display the contents, where do I need to go to change the playmedia tag to showmedia tag...Home.xml?

Thanks,
Mark

I don't think you will have to change anything. If you add a playlist to your favorites, and then add that favorite as a custom item on the home menu un Settings > Skin > Custom Home > Favorite 1-x it should just display the list. If you add it in Custom Playlist 1-x it will automatically play the list.

I haven't tested this yet, nor even looked at the code, but iirc that's how it should work. If you want to change the behavior of the playlist section, that would be in Includes_Horizontal_Home.xlm

Thanks,
-stoli-
Stoli,
I don't use the normal categories (movie, tv shows) at all. Instead, I have added smart playlists to the home screen to divide my library into user defined categories (documentaries, home movies, music concerts,...etc.). This setup worked perfectly.
After the recent update, my movies smart playlists plays automatically, my tv shows playlist doesn't even open. Needless to say, this simply doesn't work anymore.
I've tried adding the smartlist as favorites but it acts the same way.
Is there any way to revert back to the old behaviour (i.e. just show playlist).
If not, can you please lmk how I can edit the files. I have no experience in coding at all but i can follow instructions.
harvey21 Wrote:Stoli,
I don't use the normal categories (movie, tv shows) at all. Instead, I have added smart playlists to the home screen to divide my library into user defined categories (documentaries, home movies, music concerts,...etc.). This setup worked perfectly.
After the recent update, my movies smart playlists plays automatically, my tv shows playlist doesn't even open. Needless to say, this simply doesn't work anymore.
I've tried adding the smartlist as favorites but it acts the same way.
Is there any way to revert back to the old behaviour (i.e. just show playlist).
If not, can you please lmk how I can edit the files. I have no experience in coding at all but i can follow instructions.

You can modify the Includes_Home_Horizontal.xml, starting @ line 103. You will see <item id="21"> as shown below:

Code:
<item id="21">
    <description>Custom Playlist 1</description>
    <label>$INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom6_Label)]</label>
    <icon>special://skin/backgrounds/custom.jpg</icon>
    <thumb>$INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom6_Folder)]</thumb>
    <!--<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(10025,$INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom6_Path)],return)</onclick> -->
    <onclick>XBMC.PlayMedia($INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom6_Path)])</onclick>
    <visible>Skin.HasSetting(Menu_Custom6)</visible>
</item>

Note the commented line that begins with <!-- and ends with --> Remove those and add them to the line below:

Code:
<item id="21">
    <description>Custom Playlist 1</description>
    <label>$INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom6_Label)]</label>
    <icon>special://skin/backgrounds/custom.jpg</icon>
    <thumb>$INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom6_Folder)]</thumb>
    <onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(10025,$INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom6_Path)],return)</onclick>
    <!-- <onclick>XBMC.PlayMedia($INFO[Skin.String(Menu_Custom6_Path)])</onclick> -->
    <visible>Skin.HasSetting(Menu_Custom6)</visible>
</item>

Then repeat for the next 4 items, through item id="25" (you will have to add the missing line to those, incrementing the Menu_Custom#_Path value for each one.

I'll look into adding an option this weekend to automatically start playlists or just preset the list itself.

Thanks,
-stoli-
I just installed Neon tonight and created Playlists "Movies" and "Kids Movies". I added both to favorites. When I select them from the home menu, it immediately starts playing the first file.

I see your note above about modifying the .xml file, but I don't have the "<!-- etc" line at all. Did you make a change? Or start to? Can I just add that 6th line in and expect it to display correctly?

Thx for this awesome skin!!
mbbransc,

If you add your playlists to the "Custom Playlist" rather than the favorites home menu items, they will open up rather than play.

Mark
See if I did something incorrectly...

1) went to Movies main menu.
2) create playlist
3) smart playlist is designated by 'PATH'
4) put curser on the new playlist and marked it FAVORITES
5) went to Settings / Skin / Custom Home
6) Custom Favorite 1; designated my 'Movies' favorite
7) Custom Favorite 2; designated my 'Kids Movies' favorite

I didn't add anything to the PLAYLIST section on the Custom Home screen.
Put them in Custom Playlist 1 and Custom PLaylist 2

Mark
That was it, thx Mark! It's the opposite of how I would expect it to be; playlist would play and favorites would list. Either way, so long as I can get it working!! Looks awesome!!
mbbransc Wrote:That was it, thx Mark! It's the opposite of how I would expect it to be; playlist would play and favorites would list. Either way, so long as I can get it working!! Looks awesome!!

You are correct - the playlist should play and I believe that is how I have it now in the SVN/Git builds. Are you using the original version from the xbmc repository?
-stoli-
stoli Wrote:You are correct - the playlist should play and I believe that is how I have it now in the SVN/Git builds. Are you using the original version from the xbmc repository?

Yes, this is a new build I'm trying to get setup without any bugs so I can create an image backup to resort back to if need be.

Great job on this project! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I have time to tinker!
For me, setting it as a favorite or a playlist doesn't matter. They always start playing right away. I'm using the latest SVN version.
Stoli, will you be able to add the option to show the playlist or play it. I'd rather not start modifying the .xml file if you're going to add the option anyway.
harvey21 Wrote:For me, setting it as a favorite or a playlist doesn't matter. They always start playing right away. I'm using the latest SVN version.
Stoli, will you be able to add the option to show the playlist or play it. I'd rather not start modifying the .xml file if you're going to add the option anyway.

I'll update the actions and the terminology used. If it's a playlist added to the playlist section it will "star playlist", otherwise it will present the list.
-stoli-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play or view playlist?0