Has anyone had a working shutdown,suspend or reboot work on Maveric?
Hi guys I've been searching and searching without any results of finding anyone that has a working XBMC install on Maverick that can shutdown, reboot, or suspend without exiting to X-windows or a shell.

Has anyone here managed to make it work? Huh
I think that if you want help you need to describe your situation more, like what happens when you try to suspend.

I have a maverick installation that I constantly put in and out of sleep mode.
Ok I was just coming back to do so. Basically I have a minimal install of Maverick, using nvidia 260.19.44 drivers and the latest xbmc-live unstable ppa. I can install and get XBMC working, even get the navigation sounds working, but for some odd reason using the "shutdown" or "reboot" function only causes xbmc to exit back to X11 ( with the cursor sitting in the middle of a black screen )

Suspend just flickers when I select it and nothing happens.

any ideas?
If all you're using it for is xbmc, go to shell, type sudo chmod +s /sbin/shutdown
Qroach Wrote:Ok I was just coming back to do so. Basically I have a minimal install of Maverick, using nvidia 260.19.44 drivers and the latest xbmc-live unstable ppa. I can install and get XBMC working, even get the navigation sounds working, but for some odd reason using the "shutdown" or "reboot" function only causes xbmc to exit back to X11 ( with the cursor sitting in the middle of a black screen )

Suspend just flickers when I select it and nothing happens.

any ideas?

Try installing the upower package

Code:
apt-get install upower

and check your BIOS settings to see if the S3 power mode (suspend) is enabled. If it hasn't been enabled, turn it on.
Praesten Wrote:If all you're using it for is xbmc, go to shell, type sudo chmod +s /sbin/shutdown

yeah i do. I tried this and nothing has changed.
dig2112 Wrote:Try installing the upower package

Code:
apt-get install upower

and check your BIOS settings to see if the S3 power mode (suspend) is enabled. If it hasn't been enabled, turn it on.

Upower is already installed and up to date. S3 is enabled. Also I want to mention that I had the 10.1 xbmc build of karmic running on this machine before trying out maverick. It shutdown and suspended without problem. no hardware settings have changed.

it just seems like it's some upower issue on maverick or possibly a bug in the nightly SVN unstable build?
So i did a quick test and uninstalled upower and rebooted. I tried using shutdown and it did the exact same thing where it exits back to x11 and sits on a black screen with the cursor in the middle.

Could it be the nightly svn unstable build isn't using making use of upower at all? or possibly a bug in X11?
I don't know if this will help or if it applies anymore, but I have seen these suggested in previous threads for minimal installs

Code:
sudo apt-get install pm-utils

Code:
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions
replace "--user xbmc" with your username

IMO minimal installations are far more trouble then they're worth. Since ubuntu can login as a "session" directly into xbmc, there is absolutely no need for a minimal install. And with the full install everything just works, and barely uses any more ram then a minimal. That's why I stopped writing/updating minimal install guides because it was far more practical to just do a full install and make it easy on yourself.
make sure that you're compiling with HAL disabled. Also, there's a behavior setting in xbmc that handles the shut down function, check that it's actually set to shut down and not just quit.
Quote:I don't know if this will help or if it applies
I think that will not work anymore... it is different in Mav but permission could very well be the issue. Have you checked debug log for permission errors (or other errors)
This is what i did with Mac mini and Maverick installed from mini.iso and it has been working ever since

- install upower
- create a file /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla with the following contents:

Code:
[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*
ResultActive=yes
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=yes
Yes, a pkla is what is needed for permission from Lucid and hopefully it will not keep changing

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Has anyone had a working shutdown,suspend or reboot work on Maveric?0