XBMC seems to miss my files in scanning?
Heya. I got no problems like this before but today I formatted my HTPC and installed Dharma 10.1 Live.

Everything seemed to work real well at first but then i noticed I only have around half of my movies in there. Through SMB I've added my folder namned "HD" that contains only 720/1080p movies. Got around 80 of em in there but in xbmc I only have 44. First I thought it was just some problem with renaming but i dont even have them show up in the "Files" section.

Tried Scan for new Content numerous times with no success but seems it just cant find them. My last build was the one before Dharma, I forget the codename but there everything turned up in the Files window atleast and if anything was wrongly named I could just fix it from there.

What am I missing here?

edit: Just noticed when I Add the share and point it to "HD" when I look through it on that right part of the screen the movies isnt in there either, just 44 of them. Real weird Sad
I doubt there was some kind of limit on files in one folder that one can have?

edit2: Some more info. So there seems to be some kind of limit on the number of movies I can see when I browse the new share. If I have all my movies in there the 44th and last movie is "The Other Guys" but if I remove the first 4 in the folder it still is 44 but has gone down 4 in the list so then the last one is The Soloist.
try adding the year of the media in the name filename.avi(2010), also search the forums there have been quite a few others with this issue. Also can you give more info on your rig? OS, Ram, how your shares are set up...
also check to make sure you did not inadvertently tick on hide watched.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:try adding the year of the media in the name filename.avi(2010), also search the forums there have been quite a few others with this issue. Also can you give more info on your rig? OS, Ram, how your shares are set up...
also check to make sure you did not inadvertently tick on hide watched.

Hey and thanks for the reply.
Adding the year in the filename doesn't seem to matter since several of the movies thats not on the list have it already and also several that are on the list don't have it.
My rig is a Asus Pundit P4 with a Intel Core2Duo E7500 2,93ghz and the ram is 4gb of Corsair Dominator. THe OS is Linux I guess since I installed it to the HDD from a USB with Live on it. Although I dont think it's hardware related since it worked just fine before I put the latest build on there. Hide watched is unticked aswell, and since its a new installation of xbmc everything is unwatched anyways Smile

I've tried searching the boards also but I can only seem to find folks that can't find their shares at all or that can find the share but not the files in them. None with my problem of finding the share but not all of the files in it. And its not a bunch of different formats either, all mkv stuck in folders with the movies name.

I got all of my media on my main stationary computer and connect to the HTPC through a router, wired. I share the folders the usual way of rightclicking, share with, specific people. Then I add Everyone to that list.
TriNitro Wrote:Hey and thanks for the reply.
Adding the year in the filename doesn't seem to matter since several of the movies thats not on the list have it already and also several that are on the list don't have it.
My rig is a Asus Pundit P4 with a Intel Core2Duo E7500 2,93ghz and the ram is 4gb of Corsair Dominator. THe OS is Linux I guess since I installed it to the HDD from a USB with Live on it. Although I dont think it's hardware related since it worked just fine before I put the latest build on there. Hide watched is unticked aswell, and since its a new installation of xbmc everything is unwatched anyways Smile

I've tried searching the boards also but I can only seem to find folks that can't find their shares at all or that can find the share but not the files in them. None with my problem of finding the share but not all of the files in it. And its not a bunch of different formats either, all mkv stuck in folders with the movies name.

I got all of my media on my main stationary computer and connect to the HTPC through a router, wired. I share the folders the usual way of rightclicking, share with, specific people. Then I add Everyone to that list.

is your main box Linux or Windows? If you are pulling from a windows machine there are several things we can try.

What kind of file structure and naming conventions are you using for your stored media?
My main machine where I store everything etc is OS Windows 7. Run it on a Intel SSD then I've got 3 Samsung 2tb HDDs with my media on.

For my HD movies the folders are just named the way they were when I... aquired them =P

I dont think it is an issue with the names of the folders though because as I said earlier if I move some moviefolders out of the main HD folder that contain all the HD movies I will get new ones show up on the xbmc. Only 44 movies show up on XBMC, the first 44 in the folder. If move movies 1-4 from my shared folder then xbmc will "find" 4 new ones to replace them.

I've got no clue what so ever whats going on here, some kind of weird limitation somewhere?
when your scanning your media are you scanning recursively?
also make sure the shares have not been corrupted, also if you have anything related to windows live remove it, with live stuff seems to muck things up.
Thanks for the continued tries to help. I've tried both recursively and not, but I dont think thats relevant to my problem either since the files are missing even before I can add them.

Will link 2 pictures of what I mean to try to make it clear what I mean. One is from the HD folder on the computer and the other is obv from xbmc when browsing that same folder for a new share. Notice it says 80 folders on the PC one but 44 in xbmc.

PC
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_z4OM0...0/PChd.JPG

XBMC
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_z4OM0...G_0685.JPG

The one thing have have thats related to windows live is MSN, can try to delete it tomorrow just to test it out.
How are the files named inside the folder? I could be wrong but I would highly suggest cleaning up the naming conventions.

check here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Movie_Sets

this thread may be of some help as well: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=98750
come hell or high water we will get this figured out.
TriNitro Wrote:My main machine where I store everything etc is OS Windows 7. Run it on a Intel SSD then I've got 3 Samsung 2tb HDDs with my media on.

I've got no clue what so ever whats going on here, some kind of weird limitation somewhere?

This sure looks like a networking issue. Have you tried going around SMB by mounting the Windows share? There is a limit with SMB but it's something like 10000 files in one folder and although I didn't do great in math I think 44 is a bit lower than that. If it doesn't work with the XBMC user try it with the same login as you use to log into your Win7 box.

http://www.geekology.co.za/blog/2009/04/...to-folder/
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
OK good news and bad news. The good news is that I got it working. I did a fresh install of Windows 7 on the main workstation and also reinstalled XBMC Live to the HTPC harddrive.

The bad news is that I still don't know what caused it. But a networking issue seems to be at the top of the list for sure.

Anyways thanks alot Hudson for trying to help me with this! Also thanks Dobyken Smile
TriNitro Wrote:OK good news and bad news. The good news is that I got it working. I did a fresh install of Windows 7 on the main workstation and also reinstalled XBMC Live to the HTPC harddrive.

The bad news is that I still don't know what caused it. But a networking issue seems to be at the top of the list for sure.

Anyways thanks alot Hudson for trying to help me with this! Also thanks Dobyken Smile

It's only bad in the fact that if someone else has the same problem the only solution we have is reinstalling Windows 7...something not everyone wants to do especially if it's a mature install. I am, however, glad you got it working.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC seems to miss my files in scanning?0