[WINDOWS] Acer Revo AR 3700 and HD
I have one of the original Acer Revo's (1600) running XBMC on Windows XP and it has trouble running some HD content. I did max out the ram and I know I could install Linux and have it running better but I like having it on Windows. I have a WIndows 7 upgrade, but it can't go straight from XP to 7.

Anyway, my question is do the newer Revo's (3700) have trouble running HD content? If I get one it will have Windows 7 installed and I'd like to run XBMC on it. I plan to max the ram on it as well. This will be for a home theater system and the old Revo will be moved into the living room.
My AR3700 is awesome, but in order to get 1080p playing seamlessly over wireless, I had to buy a 2T/2R wireless NIC ($20 or so) as the 1T/1R didn't cut it. Other than that, you should get by fine with the base model. Unless you're going to be doing other stuff, the default 2GB of RAM is more than enough to run XBMC.

BTW, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.
I don't plan to use wireless so that's not a concern. Did you upgrade to ultimate or did yours come with it?
xm41907 Wrote:I have one of the original Acer Revo's (1600) running XBMC on Windows XP and it has trouble running some HD content. I did max out the ram and I know I could install Linux and have it running better but I like having it on Windows. I have a WIndows 7 upgrade, but it can't go straight from XP to 7.

Anyway, my question is do the newer Revo's (3700) have trouble running HD content? If I get one it will have Windows 7 installed and I'd like to run XBMC on it. I plan to max the ram on it as well. This will be for a home theater system and the old Revo will be moved into the living room.

You really need windows 7 for XBMC. As per the FAQ "recommended: Windows 7, which enables xbmc to take advantage of hardware video decoding." Revo 1600 runs flawless on 1080p videos in xbmc under Windows 7.

Edited: Opps, meant to say Revo 1600 runs 1080p flawlessly(it runs flawlessly on the revo 3700 too.) The ION gpu does all the work(which both have)
Riffmaker Wrote:You really need windows 7 for XBMC.

I would love to have it but the only option I have is a student upgrade to 7, and it won't allow me to go straight from xp to 7. Any suggestions? It sucks not being able to watch 1080p with it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Acer Revo AR 3700 and HD0