Troubles with Ubuntu Install
So I am having all sorts of issues trying to get my NAS/XBMC server off the ground. Ideally I want to run in Ubuntu with a FlexRaid set of drives.

However, I am having all sorts of trouble getting relatively easy things to work in Ubuntu 10.10 (or 10.4 either). To wit:
- I have a nVidia GT430 card and can't get the HD audio passthrough to work to send audio to my AV receiver.
- I can't get Ubuntu to see my Windows shares
- I can't find any instructions on installing FlexRaid in Ubuntu. I may scrap the idea and go to mdadm though I really like the idea of FlexRaid better....

I've followed guide after guide but had no luck doing anything other than mucking things up worse than ever.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help (besides giving up a buying Windows 7 and using FakeRaid which is what I'm probably heading towards)?
ZestyChicken Wrote:- I have a nVidia GT430 card and can't get the HD audio passthrough to work to send audio to my AV receiver.
- I can't get Ubuntu to see my Windows shares
- I can't find any instructions on installing FlexRaid in Ubuntu. I may scrap the idea and go to mdadm though I really like the idea of FlexRaid better....
?

Couple Q's:

What type of Ubuntu - full desktop or minimal? Also assuming you are using nvidia binary [dloaded from their site] drivers.

I had great success using ubuntu x86_64 10.10 MINIMAL, SSD, and GT 430. Easier than 10.04 in fact since comes with ALSA 1.0.23. A full install is a different beast though since PulseAudio gets added to the frey.

I have been following FlexRAID as well. IMHO its still not ready for primetime - version 2.0 for Linux anyways. Give it a while yet to incubate. mdadm works very well. I plan to test my toe with ZFS on Linux as well, but also very light on documentation or stories of success.

I followed this guide for ubuntu minimal + XBMC-live installs.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=xci
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:Couple Q's:

What type of Ubuntu - full desktop or minimal? Also assuming you are using nvidia binary [dloaded from their site] drivers.

I had great success using ubuntu x86_64 10.10 MINIMAL, SSD, and GT 430. Easier than 10.04 in fact since comes with ALSA 1.0.23. A full install is a different beast though since PulseAudio gets added to the frey.

I have been following FlexRAID as well. IMHO its still not ready for primetime - version 2.0 for Linux anyways. Give it a while yet to incubate. mdadm works very well. I plan to test my toe with ZFS on Linux as well, but also very light on documentation or stories of success.

I followed this guide for ubuntu minimal + XBMC-live installs.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=xci

I'm using 10.10 with the nVidia binaries (latest). I had tried using an earlier nVidia version previously without success (the inability to deal with overscan was a deal killer for me).

I tried one of the minimal installs and as I recall, it had no Gnome. It made it very difficult for me to do much. My Unix skills are...immature at best.

I'm installing the desktop version currently. I read somewhere someone removed pulse audio and while they lost desktop sounds, their XBMC passthrough worked great. Of course, I really don't have any idea how to accomplish that or what would take it's place.

I did follow some guide tonight which at least got Analog working via HDMI.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1668173

That's something I guess...
Should have followed this one, it is current for Maverick and alsa sound. Then if having problems with sound, check your .asoundrc file. It is hidden, tha's why the dot in front of it. If you don't have one then look for a proper .asoundrc for your hardware.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Troubles with Ubuntu Install0