video problems running on a powerbook G4
hello there,

i'm a XBMC newbie. I recently set up a powerbook G4 as a HTPC and i've been totally unable to play videos via XBMC. I've tried several different files among the formats avi, mkv, mp4. they will play either choppy, laggy, without sound, too fast, too slow, anything... the same files will play flawlessly in other programs such as VLC and QuickTime. the FAQ says it could be due to poorly interleaved files, but i find difficult to believe all the files will have problems and play ok in other apps at the same time.

any advice?

OS X 10.5.8
PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz 1.25GB RAM
XBMC 10.1

thx
paula
Maybe change the renderer from what you have to something else. I could recommend more but without xbmc.log...
It's got to be a setting. I have an iBook G4 (1.33 ghz and 1.25gb on 10.5.8) and it will play almost any reasonably encoded sd video file quite well (after it gets going - sometimes drops quite a few frames right off the bat).
thx for the replies. good to know it should be something simple. i pasted the xbmc.log here http://pastebin.com/k7Sqrreu, soon after trying to play a video that plays fine at VLC. could you help me out a bit further? i browsed the settings but i confess they looked sanskrit to me, not used to the video vocabulary and topic (yet).
Unfortunately I don't know how to read debug log files (I'm no developer), but Davilla et al are usually quite good at getting responses and providing useful suggestions to get things working.
try changing the renderer from auto to GL
thx davilla, it took me some time to test as i was off for some days.

so, i tried GLSL and it still showed problems, then i have set it to software and now the videos playback all right ! (as far as i can tell so far)

many thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
video problems running on a powerbook G40