Display powerpoints shows
Second thread here and exactly as title says. Appologize for wrong part of the forum, please move if required.

Before swtching to XBMC, I used Meedio for a long time (actually, even before when it was still called myHTPC). There was an option to display a certain set of files within a folder. This was basically the way to browse through your movies and select one to watch subsequently.
Furthermore, by showing only *.pps in the powerpoint shows folder, allowed me to browse through a set of Powerpoint shows and to watch these as well - by using the standalone PPviewer by MS.

In XBMC however, I did not find up to now the option to ust display a certain folder's content, included if needed with a filter for certain files. I found this topic on specific question for PPS support, but I am sure XBMC will never support this.
Question now, is there an addon that works as a sort of explorer?

I tried using the launcher plugin, which worked up to a certain point. By making shortcuts of each pps-file I could individually address each file with a launcher-plugin-command. However, this would imply for each new file preparing these commands again (for +/- 200 files). Furthermore, sorting the files did not work either.
Any help and/or is appreciated! Smile
You need to create an advancedsettings.xml and add ".pps" as a video type. Now create a playercorefactory.xml to define the Powerpoint viewer as an external player for .pps files. Now you can see your PPT slideshows in the Video file view, and they'll play just like a video.

This sounds like a lot of hassle, but it really isn't. If you have a look at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...nal_player this describes a similar procedure to make .htm files play like videos using Internet Explorer as an external player. Only minor tweaks would be needed to adapt this for .pps files.

JR
Perfect! Thanks for this solution. Worked like a charm.
One thing, since the shows are consisting of pictures, I wanted them in the 'My Pictures' folder. Therefore, I added the following:

advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <pictureextensions>
    <add>.pps</add>
  </pictureextensions>
</advancedsettings>

playercorefactory.xml
Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="PPTviewer" type="ExternalPlayer">
     <filename>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\pptview.exe</filename>
     <args>/S "{1}"</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="pps" filetypes="pps" player="PPTviewer" />
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Note: the argument "/S" prevents the splashscreen when using PPTviewer.
Once again, thanks!
Ah, I didn't think the Pictures section supported external players. Oh well, as long as it works :-)

JR
I'm using Eden with the Aeon Nox v3.6 Skin. My PowerPoint files are stored in "\Movie Library\Photos\Slide Shows".

When I select the Pictures menu, then Photos, Slide Shows no files are listed. And of course since there are no files listed I don't know if there is a "Play Using..." content menu option.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <tvshowmatching>
    <regexp>[\\/]s([0-9]+)e([0-9]+)</regexp>
  </tvshowmatching>
  <pictureextensions>
    <add>.pps</add>
  </pictureextensions>
  <videoextensions>
    <add>.pps</add>
  </videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="PPTviewer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\pptview.exe</filename>
     <args>/S "{1}"</args>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
hi after 3 years can you please tell me how to use this from python.
I just wanted to post to anyone who may come across this post in the future, I recently tried to get this working for a friend and had some trouble as Jolke's post is missing the <player name="PPTviewer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true"> which means that when you try to play the file it just shows a black screen, thanks to CaptainKen for also posting so that I could compare and find out what was going wrong.
Also if you want to use multiple filetypes just look at my code below.

advancedsettings.xml
xml:
<advancedsettings>
  <pictureextensions>
    <add>.ppsx|.pps|.pptx|.ppt</add>
  </pictureextensions>
  <videoextensions>
    <add>.ppsx|.pps|.pptx|.ppt</add>
  </videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

playercorefactory.xml
xml:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="PPTviewer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\PPTVIEW.EXE</filename>
     <args>/S "{1}"</args>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="ppsx" filetypes="ppsx" player="PPTviewer" />
    <rule name="pptx" filetypes="pptx" player="PPTviewer" />
    <rule name="ppt" filetypes="ppt" player="PPTviewer" />
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

[Windows] If you don't have office installed you can get Powerpoint Viewer here: https://download.cnet.com/PowerPoint-Vie...50958.html

One thing I didn't work out was that when the ppt plays it shows the window bar at the top and slide count bar at the bottom, if anyone knows how to make it go proper fullscreen please post to let me know, thanks.
I know this is really really old, but @dont , have you ever resolved that in python and autoexec.py starting that it? I am trying to achieve to start up similar (video) in external player during startup of kodi.

Thanks
(2022-10-05, 15:33)skoca Wrote: I know this is really really old, but @dont , have you ever resolved that in python and autoexec.py starting that it? I am trying to achieve to start up similar (video) in external player during startup of kodi.

Thanks

The particular user you are tagging has not visited the forum in 7 years so they are unlikely to see your message Smile
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Display powerpoints shows0