Buffering....I know
I am experiencing the same issue/buffering as before mentioned. Has anyone succeeded to stop the buffering?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Hey, i totally feel your pain! I've had the same problem for MONTHS now!

I'm using Windows shares on Win7, PS3 Media Server (v1.22), and a hard/direct connection. After trying the nightlies and about 4 different re-jailbreaks using all the different methods to do it, i was ready to just give up.

But, i FINALLY got it to work this weekend by restoring the default 4.2.1 OS and then JBing with GreenPois0n. That installs NitoTV where you can then install XBMC. I rebooted once and held my breath and started up a 720 MKV file through the PS3 Media Server UPnP share and MAGIC Big Grin!
Suddenly everything worked just fine! (I still cannot get 720p files to play without buffering through my Win shares btw.)

For some reason the manual SSH installation of XBMC was missing something vital.... i followed every tutorial i could find posted here, and met with the same outcome everytime. I still don't know why, but for some reason, installing through the NitoTV GUI made a difference. Maybe it will for you too?

Hope this helps ya!

Oh, small tip before you re-re-re jailbreak Nerd:
Save that "sources.xml" file from your XMBC Preferences directory on your AppleTV and then copy it back after you've finished re-installing. It will save you a LOT of headache when it comes time to re-map everything all over again!
Hi guys, I'm having the same issue...

I have an ATV2 4.2.2 w/ SP... my files are being shared from two external HDs in a PC with Windows 7 (SMB) and I'm using the latest nightly build.

What I've tried:

- power off and restart the ATV
- restore and jb again
- share using PS3 Media Server, Filezilla Server and SMB
- share from a Mac using SMB and Playback
- increase the cache in the guisettings.xml file

I'm in a 802.11g wireless network and sharing through Filezilla Server the average transfer rate was 400kb/s.

I believe that it's not a problem with the ATV since I got the same issue when trying to watch in my Mac connecting in the same source.

I really don't know what else I can try...

I don't know if it's right to do this math but for a 5gb movie that has 120min, means each minute should be around 45mb, so I would need to transfer 750kb/s to keep the pace (currently I'm transferring 400kb/s through my Filezilla FTP Server, maybe this is the problem).

Tks
Tarraka Wrote:I don't know if it's right to do this math but for a 5gb movie that has 120min, means each minute should be around 45mb, so I would need to transfer 750kb/s to keep the pace (currently I'm transferring 400kb/s through my Filezilla FTP Server, maybe this is the problem).

Maybe? I would say this is obvious ... go for 80211n
Memphiz Wrote:Maybe? I would say this is obvious ... go for 80211n

My doubt is that I saw a lof of people saying that is being able to watch HD videos over 802.11g without problems so I believe that must have a problem happening and a way to tweak/solve it.

400kb/s over the lan is less than I get as download speed in my internet connection so it doesn't make much sense.
Just solved the issue! I've connected in my router and found a hidden option that was turning it in a 802.11b/g router... changed to allow only 802.11g and now it's running without buffer and with an average speed of 1mb/s over Filezilla Server and 802.11g.

I did this as well that I found in another forum:
Fix was a different registry key (affects Windows 7 and Vista):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services ->LanmanServer ->Parameters

Create a DWORD entry SMB2. Value will default to 0 which is correct.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services ->LanmanServer ->Parameters

Change the entry 'Size' from 1 to 3.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232271

1 = Minimize Memory Used
2 = Balance
3 = Maximize Throughput for File Sharing and Maximize Throughput for Network
In my case, it is not the (W)LAN connection. My computers are all wired and another computer plays everything without any buffering. Only movies played by the ATV2 are buffering (and of course only the 720p and 1080p ones).

Any other ideas?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I've been lurking on this thread and just figured I'd pop in with my "duh" moment resolution. I had (hopefully not "have" anymore) this problem and was about to throw this darn puck through my skylight. I tried two different "servers," and had the same stuttering (even sometimes on SD content. A switch to a UPNP server (Serviio) that just dumps the file down a upnp pipe saw totally flawless playback. WhyHuh

Well, I think I fixed it by setting my SMB workgroup (System | Network | SMB Client) to match the workgroup of my "server." I'd done this before, but it had gotten overwritten during a reinstall. At the same time, I also edited /private/var/mobile/.smb/smb.conf and made the same change. No clue which of these did the trick (or both or maybe even neither...I know very little about iOS). But now I'm getting flawless streaming from my SMB shares. No stutter. Perfect trick-play. 720p MKV's are butter.

Like I said, a duh moment. But since I could still "browse" the SMB shares despite being in different workgroups, it wasn't something that I immediately thought to check.

May or may not be your issue, but something to double-check.
I remembered that hardware acceleration is available in the nightly release - so I enabled it. My SD content is playing much better (no buffering) so far . . . I'll have to try viewing more. I haven't tried any 720p content yet, though.
ptyork Wrote:I've been lurking on this thread and just figured I'd pop in with my "duh" moment resolution. I had (hopefully not "have" anymore) this problem and was about to throw this darn puck through my skylight. I tried two different "servers," and had the same stuttering (even sometimes on SD content. A switch to a UPNP server (Serviio) that just dumps the file down a upnp pipe saw totally flawless playback. WhyHuh

Well, I think I fixed it by setting my SMB workgroup (System | Network | SMB Client) to match the workgroup of my "server." I'd done this before, but it had gotten overwritten during a reinstall. At the same time, I also edited /private/var/mobile/.smb/smb.conf and made the same change. No clue which of these did the trick (or both or maybe even neither...I know very little about iOS). But now I'm getting flawless streaming from my SMB shares. No stutter. Perfect trick-play. 720p MKV's are butter.

Like I said, a duh moment. But since I could still "browse" the SMB shares despite being in different workgroups, it wasn't something that I immediately thought to check.

May or may not be your issue, but something to double-check.

can you be more specific on what you changed in smb.conf ?
davilla Wrote:can you be more specific on what you changed in smb.conf ?

The only change I made was to the workgroup line (last line for me). Just changed it from the default of WORKGROUP to the one I assign to all of my PC's. Same change made to guisettings.xml (through the GUI, of course).

It really is night and day difference. I wonder what it is about the SAMBA implementation that is so non-performant when crossing workgroups? Kinda thought workgroups were really only about grouping computers together when doing NetBIOS browsing. Domains and the whole active directory mush are quite different obviously, but I thought workgroups were just like domain name suffixes in the DNS world.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering....I know0