My first XBMC: Boxee Box - Acer Aspire Revo R3700 or another HTPC
Hi there,

I am looking for my first HTPC or a mediaplayer to use XBMC with. I know the Boxee Box is not capable of running XBMC but I still like it nonetheless and will choose this when a HTPC is too expensive.

What are the most important things I need:

-Able to play all kinds of containers/codecs (from avi to MKV and back)
-Able to smoothly play 480p to 720 and at the end high bitrate 1080p MKV's
-Able to use XBMC
-Focus on LOCAL content (will be using a NAS later but at this time will connect a 3TB WD My Book Essential through USB)
-TV's I will be using this for: my 42" panasonic full HD plasma and a 32" Samsung LCD

So in a nutshell, I am just exploring my options. I can get the Boxee Box at 229 euro delivered at my place. This is by far the cheapest option but also limits you to using the Boxee interface and thus limits the available customization. So this is why I am looking for a "real" HTPC solution but still trying to remain as close to the 229 euro price as possibly can. Cause starting at 300 euro or more, I will choose the Boxee Box unless the HTPC delivers substantial improvement both in specifications and customization.

I did however read plenty of good things about the Acer Aspire Revo R3700 but I also found out they are extremely (if not impossible) to get these days. Are there any other nettops that come close to this one? I prefer one of a real brand (like Acer) and the same looks would be great too. I did found some Acer Aspire Revo R3700 on eBay as well (http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ACER-Aspire-Revo...728wt_1086) but I don't know if this is good to buy although the seller has many good reviews.

Now for the software point of view, I have never used XBMC before but I am a quick learner and I know my way with computers, so that should not be a problem. I do hope it is easy to understand, like install XBMC, some drivers and that's it. Not having to deal with things like SSH or anything of that kind. I would use either Windows 7 or Ubuntu, have not used any Linux systems besides Ubuntu for a short period (2 days) so I am not a pro. The good thing about Linux is that it is free unlike W7.

I already thank you for answering my questions !
I bought this today, with 2gb of ram and a 320gb hdd it was $227usd. It will do everything on your list. Not sure if you can find this local and if you can what the price is.
Those Giadas make biblical noise.
mr.sparkle Wrote:Those Giadas make biblical noise.

I have heard it isnt that hard to tone it down a bit with some tweaking. We shall see when mine gets here. If I don't like it I can always sell it later.
I can recommend the Revo 3700. You can buy them from Ebuyer. There is a link in my signature.
Of course, if anybody else has any other suggestions please do let me know.

Also looking at this:

ZOTAC MAG Mini All-in-One Giant HD-ND01

If this one also good for XBMC and high bit MKV files (720p,1080p,..)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first XBMC: Boxee Box - Acer Aspire Revo R3700 or another HTPC0