What featurs to look for in a new TV
If you get that message its probably because it doesn't support one of the refresh rates its switched to over HDMI at the resolution 1920x1080 the movie resolution has nothing to do with it your GPU will continue to output what ever its set to in this case 1920x1080 the black borders will make up for the height difference between 816 and 1080

You only need to check your manual to see what refresh rates it supports over HDMI at 1920x1080
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
AaronD Wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it. Does it meet my three main criteria?

1. Can you switch off overscan when on the XBMC input? Yes
2. Does it display colours in full 0-255 range, not just studio colours (16-235)? AFAIK
3. Does it have discrete chanell remote codes for the HDMI channels? What is this? You can rename inputs to XBMC, XBOX 360 etc

Also, curious why you went for Plasma. I looked into this a couple of years ago when I bought my current LCD, but haven't revisited it since. I was keen on an LED this time round - any compelling reason for looking at Plasma?

IMO, Plasma has better blacks, better contrast, a better picture all round. I would not buy LCD >32".

Plasma has better response times for gaming, handles motion much better.

This particular TV is outstanding. As I said, THX mode, precalibrated to THX standard and certified, give a great picture. ISF calibration so you can do it yourself or pay to have a professional calibrate it exactly to your spec. This screen is high end.

Plasma can have down sides, IR ect, but I have not seen any yet, nor any phosphor trails. Motion is superb, tested with Dark Knight panning scenes, superb.

24p is a bit odd, makes things seem 3D and just can't get used to it. Shocked
Plasma has better blacks and contrast than a normal LCD set, not an LED LCD. LED backlight corrects the shortcomings of traditional LCD tech (blacks and contrast) and high-end LED sets can compete with High-End plasma sets easily. Also, plasma has the disadvantage of high power consumption
I always found LEDs to look FANTASTIC for Pixar type material, as the colours are so vibrant, but not so realistic for normal viewing. Demo setups may not be doing it justice, plus, a 50" LED is likely to cost more than the 50" panasonic plasma I bought. Being last years model it is a true bargain, so glad I bought it, seems to be less available now and has gone up £70!

The new PDP Plasmas are much less power hungry and this one does not even get warm, but then, its not going to be wallet shattering to power a Plasma vs an LCD. If it is, your budget is already tight and maybe don't buy a TV right now Laugh

My old plasma was like a radiator, this one stays cool.
Thanks for the good information.

t2ffn Wrote:As I said, THX mode, precalibrated to THX standard and certified, give a great picture.

Is this useful if you are plugging into a seperate receiver? Is the THX only used when using the TVs speakers? But then I thought THX was used for surround sound, so not sure I understand this fully.
He's talking about the image not audio if you have a screen ISF calibrated its done to a set of industry standards once done you see the image exactly as its meant to be seen, THX certified screens have a setting that gets as close to this standard without having your screen calibrated its not as perfect as having your screen ISF'd because its not done to each source

I should warn you if your use to a over saturated image you might take a while to adjust to a THX mode Smile
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
THX certification is for the picture:

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-enterta...rojectors/

Its intended to give the most accurate picture, as intended by the movie director, with an out of the box setting. Its very good, and what the fully calibrated settings begins from. On top of THX, there are two custom ISF picture settings. Some people set one for day and one for night, but I think they both begin at THX and tweak away!

I'm probably still inside the 200hrs breaking in stage so I am running THX to let the screen settle.
>>X<<' Wrote:If you get that message its probably because it doesn't support one of the refresh rates its switched to over HDMI

Yes!! Exactly!! I can confirm this now!!

i had a library of ~50 .AVI movie files
and some of them wouldn't play like i described earlier....
my TV pops-up a message saying "screen resolution not supported"...

Anyways, going through them using MediaINFO application,
i then noticed that all the movies that weren't playable
when the 'Adjust Display to Frame rate' feature was enabled
had a refresh rate of 25Hz (24.995fps)!!
And all those that worked had a refresh rate of 24Hz (23.976fps)!!
This means, my HDTV simply doesnt support 25Hz!!
thats it!!

Im now really glad i found the issue but now, the big question,
How to turn those 25Hz .AVI movie files into 24Hz .AVI movie files...??
And specially without loosing Audio/Video Sync O.O ??

Thanx Smile
What ever TV you choose, make sure it has the best true contrast ratio possible. The contrast ratio is one of the #1 factors to great PQ.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
eskro Wrote:Yes!! Exactly!! I can confirm this now!!

i had a library of ~50 .AVI movie files
and some of them wouldn't play like i described earlier....
my TV pops-up a message saying "screen resolution not supported"...

Anyways, going through them using MediaINFO application,
i then noticed that all the movies that weren't playable
when the 'Adjust Display to Frame rate' feature was enabled
had a refresh rate of 25Hz (24.995fps)!!
And all those that worked had a refresh rate of 24Hz (23.976fps)!!
This means, my HDTV simply doesnt support 25Hz!!
thats it!!

Im now really glad i found the issue but now, the big question,
How to turn those 25Hz .AVI movie files into 24Hz .AVI movie files...??
And specially without loosing Audio/Video Sync O.O ??

Thanx Smile

you will have to reencode which is not a good idea because you will loose picture quality, which isnt great to begin with when dealing with divx avi's.

I think there is a patch somewhere which will allow you to select with resolutions/ fps combination result in 'Adjust Display to Frame rate' firing.

on another note, i've noticed most tv's support input fps for 24/30/50/60 but none really for 25 (even in europe where PAL is normal). anyone know why?
well, i'll re-encode then,,,
but, which app will do it without loosing Audio/Video Sync??
eskro Wrote:well, i'll re-encode then,,,

Handbrake will reencode the video and the audio to keep them in sync.

A reencoded avi will look pretty poor though.
SpectreX Wrote:Plasma has better blacks and contrast than a normal LCD set, not an LED LCD. LED backlight corrects the shortcomings of traditional LCD tech (blacks and contrast) and high-end LED sets can compete with High-End plasma sets easily. Also, plasma has the disadvantage of high power consumption

On paper at least...

MidnightWatcher Wrote:What ever TV you choose, make sure it has the best true contrast ratio possible. The contrast ratio is one of the #1 factors to great PQ.

Also make sure that the contrast ratio that your reading is actually real. It is VERY difficult to get the actual contrast ratio and that is the only one that matters. You can find more info here: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/feature...heir_specs
eskro Wrote:well, i'll re-encode then,,,

You do not need to re-encode the video at all 25fps material is only sped up from 23.976

Demux the audio with "virtualdubmod" change the audio from 25fps > 23.976 using "Besweet" (it has a pre-set for this) then mux the audio back in using "virtualdubmod" with the old audio disabled and frame rate changed to 23.976 those settings are set in "virtualdubmod" then save this in "Direct stream copy" mode so the video stays untouched

Obviously this changes the pitch of the audio slightly but its actually changing it back to the original

The only part that takes time is encoding the audio but this will be a fraction of the time of encoding the video, adding the audio back to the video and changing the video frame rate takes minutes
Sweet >>X<<!! i'll try that when i get a chance!! thanks Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What featurs to look for in a new TV0