Kodi Community Forum
Asus Chromebox announcement - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Asus Chromebox announcement (/showthread.php?tid=185329)

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-04-19

(2014-04-19, 19:39)McButton Wrote: Remote ... Will this work on Chromebox?

think so, looks like it's just a keyboard/mouse with the remote functions mapped to keyboard keys

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - McButton - 2014-04-19

It seems built for XBMC. Decent reviews. Just looking for easy use. I might try a few different ones. It didn't seem like MCE remote do.... Haven't checked PS3 controllers yet.

Re: Asus Chromebox announcement - nickr - 2014-04-19

What buttons would you use for info and context?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - ozkhan1 - 2014-04-19

Does the dpad work with rf?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-04-19

(2014-04-19, 20:53)McButton Wrote: It didn't seem like MCE remote do.... .

??

(2014-04-19, 21:48)ozkhan1 Wrote: Does the dpad work with rf?

it looks like an IR remote, not RF

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - McButton - 2014-04-20

Info and content? I actually only use a few buttons now anyway. I just hit ok on everything. Ouya junkified contoller. As long as I have a remote instead. I'll figure it out eventually.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - nickr - 2014-04-20

No, info and CONTEXT

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - SirStreamalot - 2014-04-24

I have the ASUS Chromebox. It is a good product, which seems well built. I have spent two days trying to get it to run XBMC and cannot get it working. I openly admit that may just be me, but I have used XIOS DS and installed linux and XBMC on those successfully. I really like the Chromebox and would love to get XBMC on it. I am going to give it a rest and come back to it.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - McButton - 2014-04-24

There is a wiki article that breaks it down. Did you try there?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-04-24

(2014-04-24, 02:34)McButton Wrote: There is a wiki article that breaks it down. Did you try there?

he's had a few setbacks, mainly a keyboard which doesn't work from the developer boot screen, and issues creating the USB installer from a Mac. I've been helping him in another thread

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - stidnam - 2014-04-24

I've been watching this thread since the Chromebox came out. The hardware looks perfect to replace my ageing media centre.

The closest alternative (hardware wise) seems to be the Gigabyte Brix running the Celeron 2955 CPU. The price for Gigabyte though comes in at over $300 once ram and a harddrive have been added. For this reason the $180 price tag of the Chromebox seems hard to pass up.

My concern though is the Chromebox's ability to run Linux distributions other than Ubuntu and OpenElec. I was hoping to do a clean install of Debian unstable on the supplied SSD but have not been able to find examples of anyone that's done it. I've seen that someone over on the Mint forums was able to get Mint up and running with minimal issues though.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience installing and running other distributions on the Chromebox? If so, can you comment on any issues or things that don't work?

stidnam

(2014-04-24, 03:56)stidnam Wrote: My concern though is the Chromebox's ability to run Linux distributions other than Ubuntu and OpenElec. I was hoping to do a clean install of Debian unstable on the supplied SSD but have not been able to find examples of anyone that's done it. I've seen that someone over on the Mint forums was able to get Mint up and running with minimal issues though.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience installing and running other distributions on the Chromebox? If so, can you comment on any issues or things that don't work?

stidnam

I tested out Linux Mint Debian Edition, seemed to work just fine. Installation of any other distro would basically follow the same instructions as OpenELEC, but using a LiveUSB installer for the distro of choice.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - JamesCruze - 2014-04-24

(2014-04-24, 01:51)SirStreamalot Wrote: I have the ASUS Chromebox. It is a good product, which seems well built. I have spent two days trying to get it to run XBMC and cannot get it working. I openly admit that may just be me, but I have used XIOS DS and installed linux and XBMC on those successfully. I really like the Chromebox and would love to get XBMC on it. I am going to give it a rest and come back to it.
I have the ASUS Chromebox. I have spent a few days trying to get it to run XBMC and cannot get it working without video being very jumpy and audio sync being bad. The settings seem to not do anything. Video is steamed from a wd mybook live home cloud device.
I'm going to try the openelec way and see if that is any better.

(2014-04-24, 04:12)JamesCruze Wrote: I have the ASUS Chromebox. I have spent a few days trying to get it to run XBMC and cannot get it working without video being very jumpy and audio sync being bad. The settings seem to not do anything. Video is steamed from a wd mybook live home cloud device.
I'm going to try the openelec way and see if that is any better.

if you are using Ubuntu/ChrUbutu + XBMC, apparently there is an issue with the Intel video driver in 14.04. Haven't tested it myself as my end goal has always been a dedicated OpenELEC setup, which now performs flawlessly Smile

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - McButton - 2014-04-24

I like seeing so many new additions to the forums signing up this month. Go, XBMC!

6 Chromeboxes left on Amazon for $180....fyi