Kodi Community Forum
Asus Chromebox announcement - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Asus Chromebox announcement (/showthread.php?tid=185329)

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - extension23 - 2014-04-27

I am stuck at the moment. I have followed the wiki, but I don't seem to be able to boot from USB. I flashed the firmware with this one: http://johnlewis.ie/asus-chromebox-SeaBIOS-new.bin and if I boot into Legacy mode I see SeaBIOS (version -20140405_201740-john-lewis) so I believe that worked correctly. If I look at dev_boot_usb in crossystem it is set to 1, but when I create my backup and try to boot from it using ctrl+u it always just boots from the internal drive. I have tried 3 different USB drives, and they all seem to take the backup just fine, but I can't seem to get it to boot from any of them.

Any suggestions?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-04-27

(2014-04-27, 20:04)extension23 Wrote: I am stuck at the moment. I have followed the wiki, but I don't seem to be able to boot from USB. I flashed the firmware with this one: http://johnlewis.ie/asus-chromebox-SeaBIOS-new.bin and if I boot into Legacy mode I see SeaBIOS (version -20140405_201740-john-lewis) so I believe that worked correctly.

so far so good

Quote:If I look at dev_boot_usb in crossystem it is set to 1, but when I create my backup and try to boot from it using ctrl+u it always just boots from the internal drive. I have tried 3 different USB drives, and they all seem to take the backup just fine, but I can't seem to get it to boot from any of them.

I need to update this in the wiki to be more clear: the legacy BIOS has no effect on the ability (or lack thereof) to boot to ChromeOS on SD/USB via CTRL-U. The dev_boot_usb crossystem flag is the only thing that should affect that.

Does the ChromeBox beep when you press CTRL-U? If so, it means that whatever is on the SD/USB drive is not a valid ChromeOS install. If not, and assuming your dev boot screen timeout is still 30s, do you have to wait the full 30s for it to boot into ChromeOS? Or do you hit CTRL-D to speed things along?

The screen flashes and it beeps when I hit ctrl-u so I guess that means my recovery install is not working? I don't hit ctrl+D to speed things up.

I think the instructions are fine. I was only hitting ctrl-L to see that it was listing the correct firmware. I also thought I would just try to boot the openelec install usb, which was the other reason the I hit ctrl+L. That didn't work for me either. I am able to see the usb drive in the list and select it, and I see the normal openelec syslinux line flash, but then my screen pops back to the chrome OS verification screen and boots back to Chrome. I know this install usb works, as I have successfully booted the usb on another systems just to verify there wasn't an issue with it.

I am stumped as to what to try next.

(2014-04-27, 20:39)extension23 Wrote: The screen flashes and it beeps when I hit ctrl-u so I guess that means my recovery install is not working? I don't hit ctrl+D to speed things up.

correct

Quote:I think the instructions are fine. I was only hitting ctrl-L to see that it was listing the correct firmware. I also thought I would just try to boot the openelec install usb, which was the other reason the I hit ctrl+L. That didn't work for me either. I am able to see the usb drive in the list and select it, and I see the normal openelec syslinux line flash, but then my screen pops back to the chrome OS verification screen and boots back to Chrome. I know this install usb works, as I have successfully booted the usb on another systems just to verify there wasn't an issue with it.

I am stumped as to what to try next.

I updated the custom OpenELEC build yesterday after building from a new branch and it had the wrong version of syslinux included. I just updated it now, should work properly. Sorry about that. Re-download and re-create the USB install stick and you should be good to go

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - jsp1 - 2014-04-27

(2014-04-27, 17:46)kaiwei Wrote: Matt / jsp1

Another quick question - is the power button in the corner of the Chromebox's casing a sticky button? i.e. just always leave it to the "On" position, and power can be controlled via the on and off switch next to the power socket itself (I live in the UK).

Am thinking of controlling the on and off via a WeMo switch or something similar.

No, it is a hard button, and the only one. You could shutdown remotely via MCE or wireless keyboard from the settings menu, but you will be powering up by pushing that button for the time being. It doesn't stay in one position (on/off) and overall the button is the least appealing feature of the box honestly speaking. It is somewhat hard to tell if you have pressed it at all excepting for the fact the box powers up or shuts down...no tactile feedback (click or switch) to the button at all. In short it feels sort of cheap but that is just my opinion. Don't expect to tinker with the bios settings except for boot flags either, as far as I have been able to tell there is no user definable bios.

Other than that the box is great, both hardware and software. I just turn mine on in the morning (manually) and cut it off at night. That is the only solution at the moment I'm afraid aside from running it 24/7.

EDIT: Sorry Noggin, missed your reply/answer somehow.

Any thoughts as to why the recovery wouldn't be working? I just did another one, this time to an 8GB SD card I had. Again it seemed to copy it correctly, but when it reboots and I hit CTRL+U I get the beep and it just boots from the internal drive.

I'll grab your new download for openelec and see if I can get it to boot to the install screen. At this point I don't want to actually install until I can verify I have a working recovery disk.

Doh. xbmc wiki link is down for me right now. What is the link for the new openelec build?

(2014-04-27, 21:00)extension23 Wrote: Any thoughts as to why the recovery wouldn't be working? I just did another one, this time to an 8GB SD card I had. Again it seemed to copy it correctly, but when it reboots and I hit CTRL+U I get the beep and it just boots from the internal drive.

I'll grab your new download for openelec and see if I can get it to boot to the install screen. At this point I don't want to actually install until I can verify I have a working recovery disk.

understandable, not sure what it would be

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - jsp1 - 2014-04-27

(2014-04-27, 21:00)extension23 Wrote: Any thoughts as to why the recovery wouldn't be working? I just did another one, this time to an 8GB SD card I had. Again it seemed to copy it correctly, but when it reboots and I hit CTRL+U I get the beep and it just boots from the internal drive.

Doh. xbmc wiki link is down for me right now. What is the link for the new openelec build?

http://gdurl.com/qnDc/download

BTW: How long is it taking to create these backups for you? It took a substantial amount of time from my supposedly "fast" usb thumb drive so it could be that something is failing.

(2014-04-27, 21:05)Matt Devo Wrote: think there may be some confusion here - the factory reset / recovery media created by the Google tool will only work when you boot to the recovery screen (paperclip at power on), not when booting with CTRL-U. CTRL-U only allows you to boot to a valid ChromeOS install on SD/USB media, like the one you create via the backup steps on the wiki, which is a copy of what's installed on the internal HDD.

I think I just used the wrong term. The part that I can't seem to boot from USB is the backup I created by following the step on the wiki. I think it is working correctly. I takes it roughly 10 to 15 min for the backup to complete and the system to auto-reboot.

(2014-04-27, 21:12)extension23 Wrote: I think I just used the wrong term. The part that I can't seem to boot from USB is the backup I created by following the step on the wiki. I think it is working correctly. I takes it roughly 10 to 15 min for the backup to complete and the system to auto-reboot.

the confusion was on my end - was thinking about the other poster/thread I was assisting

Your new new link for openelec gets the installer working for me now. Now I just have to decide if I want to give it a go without a working backup. Smile

you can always do a factory reset with the recovery media from the Google tool if you really need to. If you set the firmware boot flags (to shorten the dev boot wait and boot into legacy by default) before installing OE then you really don't need to boot into ChromeOS for anything.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - teki4u - 2014-04-27

Matt can we have your ChrOpenElec to install in the internal drive completely, removing ChromeOS install? Do you know if with Chrubuntu that can be done too?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - knives of ice - 2014-04-27

anyone else have problems accessing the wiki? has been down for me for a few hours. i've read this thread from start to finish and think i want to get a chromebox but i'm not sure how hard it actually is to get xbmc up.

(2014-04-27, 21:41)Veronica Wrote: Matt can we have your ChrOpenElec to install in the internal drive completely, removing ChromeOS install? Do you know if with Chrubuntu that can be done too?

both can, but with OE there's no good reason to since we already have a method to install to the internal HDD completely. ChrUbuntu is slightly different since it uses some custom drivers etc.

For ChrUbuntu, just use the steps in the wiki (once it's back up) to create a USB backup copy of ChromeOS and boot from that. Then run the ChrUbuntu script and use the target disk option (-t) to install to /dev/sda (so: sudo bash <chrubuntu script> -t /dev/sda).

(2014-04-27, 21:46)knives of ice Wrote: anyone else have problems accessing the wiki? has been down for me for a few hours. i've read this thread from start to finish and think i want to get a chromebox but i'm not sure how hard it actually is to get xbmc up.

xbmc.org is having some issues, wait for the wiki to come back up as it will make things a lot easier