Kodi Community Forum
Asus Chromebox announcement - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Asus Chromebox announcement (/showthread.php?tid=185329)

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - knives of ice - 2014-04-30

anyone have both the chromebox and an intel nuc? i'm on the fence as to what i want to get. obviously, if its comparable given the price the chromebox would be the way to go.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-04-30

(2014-04-30, 01:49)extension23 Wrote: That did the trick.

It might be worth making a mention of this in the wiki, although it might be that others who use the shared MySQL library know about it.

I would also make the suggestion in section 2.2.1 of the wiki, to mention that if they want the fast boot time without pressing ctrl +L they should follow the steps in 1.7 before installing Openelec. Actually, it is probably fine the way it is, and only needed for short attention span people like myself who skim section 1.7 and don't think about the fact they are going to want that until after they install Openelec. Smile

The XBMC loading delay setting isn't ChromeBox specific, so I think having it in the OpenELEC wiki is sufficient.

As for the firmware boot flags, I updated that section of the wiki so that it is clear that they need to be set pre-install if ChromeOS is to be wiped out.

(2014-04-30, 01:49)deppdudepp Wrote: Thanks for this great work! I got my Box running with dedicated OpenELEC on it. Just like post #200 resp. #205 I was not able to boot after the first installation. So I just did steps 1.3, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.2.1 again. (Without creating a new bootable install stick). And it works like a charm.

Now I have a question. Can an external DAC be used over USB? I am particularly interested in a Schiit Bitfrost or Gungnir ( http://schiit.com/products/gungnir ). Any experiences?

Thanks

I highly doubt that DAC would work unless it already has decent Linux support, since it adds an audio output interface. You could always do HDMI->optical->DAC though

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - teki4u - 2014-04-30

(2014-04-30, 01:22)Veronica Wrote: I just finished setting all up but the sound system is very low. Anyone with Ubuntu install ran in the same issue? I went into sound settings and there is only one option I had to click on it to get audio as first I would not get any.
I connected chromebox directly to the TV via HDMI cable (amazon basics brand)

I rebooted and audio is fixed but the whole thing is not working THAT well as i wish. As another user mentioned it is choppy and freezes at times. There is also something going wrong with the display output because it gets zoomed in alot at times others a bit and other it displays normal don't know if this last one is because i'm using ubuntu 14.04 but doub everything gets fixed by installing Ubuntu 13.10 my bad.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-04-30

try 13.10

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - teki4u - 2014-04-30

(2014-04-30, 04:16)Matt Devo Wrote: try 13.10

Will do and report back

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - menno - 2014-04-30

Are there any users, using it for live tv?
I use it with freesat, and bought it to playback HD 1080i channels.
Unfortunately i suffer from slight stuttering and frame drops of >1,5<2.0 frames per second. IF and only if I use
de-interlace mode: "De-Interlace" If I use mode "De-Interlace (half)" it is all good.
On SD channels I can use mode "de-Interlace" mode without frame drops.
I use Openelec Beta 6 (not latest).

Maybe we should open a users topic instead of the anouncement topic?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - uomiarz - 2014-04-30

@menno

You may want to take a look at that:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707

I did not read entire thread so I am not sure how much of it is actually in OpenELEC beta versions (if any)
It may also be a good thread to report issues like yours.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - bkastner - 2014-04-30

(2014-04-30, 02:53)knives of ice Wrote: anyone have both the chromebox and an intel nuc? i'm on the fence as to what i want to get. obviously, if its comparable given the price the chromebox would be the way to go.

I have the ChromeBox, a NUC Celeron and a NUC I3 (both are the older versions). I personally prefer the NUC, but the ChromeBox seems to work well (I've had it on a TV my father-in-law uses and he's been happy with the OpenELEC build). I will say the ChromeBox sucked under Ubuntu. Loads of freezing issues and audio/video sync issues, however once I stripped Ubuntu and just went with OpenELEC it's been much better.

I would say it's pretty comparable to the Celeron NUC, but works out a bit cheaper than the NUC where you need to buy a mSATA drive and memory (you can run off USB, but I wouldn't personally).

I have still had some MCE issues with OpenELEC beta7, but it is getting better. I had a Haswell NUC I3 with USB3 and ended up returning it for the older one with USB2 ports to save myself the headache. I have the ChromeBox using a Flirc right now, but will be updating it to OE beta 7 with a MCE IR receiver soon and will see how it goes.

(2014-04-30, 05:53)Veronica Wrote:
(2014-04-30, 04:16)Matt Devo Wrote: try 13.10

Will do and report back

I was running 13.10 and was not happy with the experience in XBMC. I had issues with it freezing and issues where the video would freeze and the audio would keep going. I ended up dropping Ubuntu and going with OpenELEC and it's been a much better experience.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - jsp1 - 2014-05-01

Some random crashing in Openelec for me lately. Maybe 4 crashes total since install, which seems to have been initiated by the official update. However, a rollback does not negate the issue.

I installed an extra 2GB ram today (exact oem match). So, while I was looking to try something light like puppy linux...I may give a more robust build a try. Puppy linux is problematic for anyone interested. A shame because it would provide a close proximity in performance to something like Openelec while offering a much broader set of tools when needed.

Also, out of curiosity for anyone who spent any time with ChromeOS what is the benefit over loading something like Chromium on top of Openelec and using the chrome store to get the same apps/functionality?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - deathtical - 2014-05-01

Do you guys know if the asus chromebox has post codes? I just got mine the other day and it worked right out of the box. But I went to turn it on again last night and got nothing. The light comes on no video. I did take out the bios screw and replaced the ram. I haven't had a chance to see if the ram is the issue by swapping it back to the original. However, if it is ram, most computers will post an error. Any thoughts? Thanks

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - menno - 2014-05-01

OK guys, I didnt do 1.7 to auto-press CTRL-L nor did I make a backup of ChromeOS as instructed. (Yeah I should be ashamed) Smile
Now I still want to get rid of having to press CTRL-L on a reboot........
Is this possible one way or another? Or is the only cumbersome way to do it, 1.) find a chrome-os rescue disk 2. Install ChromeOS 3.) set the bootflags right 4. Install OpenElec again. ?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - McButton - 2014-05-01

You got it. I was there. Messed it up. I restored everything and followed the wiki. Back in action in like 20m. I put the wrong number in the boot area the first time =/

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Eagle784 - 2014-05-01

Anyone know what USB 3.0 drivers I might be able to use to install Windows 7? I tried rebuilding boot.wim with both Intel 7-series and Intel 8-series USB 3.0 drivers without any luck.
Windows 8.1 works fine by the way. Thanks.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Netix - 2014-05-01

(2014-05-01, 16:55)Eagle784 Wrote: Anyone know what USB 3.0 drivers I might be able to use to install Windows 7? I tried rebuilding boot.wim with both Intel 7-series and Intel 8-series USB 3.0 drivers without any luck.

You were able to install Windows 8.1 on the Chromebox ?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - jsp1 - 2014-05-01

(2014-05-01, 16:55)Eagle784 Wrote: Anyone know what USB 3.0 drivers I might be able to use to install Windows 7? I tried rebuilding boot.wim with both Intel 7-series and Intel 8-series USB 3.0 drivers without any luck.

Windows 8.1 works for a native install? How much headroom is left on the SSD after that?