Kodi Community Forum
Asus Chromebox announcement - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Asus Chromebox announcement (/showthread.php?tid=185329)

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-05-27

(2014-05-27, 18:40)ronnblank Wrote: You saved my ass Matt! Worked with no problem.
If I wanted to revert back to ChromeOS would that be possible?
Thanks again!

yes, you'll just need to re-flash the stock firmware which you backed up (from a bootable ChromiumOS USB stick), then restore ChromeOS using Google's recovery tool. I'll write up some instructions at some point.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - MrCrispy - 2014-05-27

Bought a Chromebox yesterday, didn't really have time to setup Matt's script but just played around with it. One thing I noticed is that playing Youtube videos takes 40-50% cpu which doesn't sound right - aren't they hw accelerated on the Chromebox?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - cheaterguy - 2014-05-28

Does the chromebox support HDMI-CEC using openelec? If not what other ways are possible for controlling it?

Re: RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-05-28

(2014-05-27, 19:18)MrCrispy Wrote: Bought a Chromebox yesterday, didn't really have time to setup Matt's script but just played around with it. One thing I noticed is that playing Youtube videos takes 40-50% cpu which doesn't sound right - aren't they hw accelerated on the Chromebox?

What videos? And how are you measuring CPU usage in ChromeOS?

(2014-05-28, 05:38)cheaterguy Wrote: Does the chromebox support HDMI-CEC using openelec? If not what other ways are possible for controlling it?
I haven't tested HDMI-CEC. Control on what sense? You can use any remote supported by XBMC under Linux, or a web based control like Yatse

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - MrCrispy - 2014-05-28

(2014-05-28, 06:41)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-27, 19:18)MrCrispy Wrote: Bought a Chromebox yesterday, didn't really have time to setup Matt's script but just played around with it. One thing I noticed is that playing Youtube videos takes 40-50% cpu which doesn't sound right - aren't they hw accelerated on the Chromebox?
What videos? And how are you measuring CPU usage in ChromeOS?

I searched for '720p trailers' on youtube. Measuring cpu usage in Chrome's task manager. The videos were not using Flash, they were using the HTML5 player.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - teki4u - 2014-05-28

(2014-05-27, 16:44)tetsuya Wrote:
(2014-05-27, 08:32)xaphod Wrote: Hi guys thanks for the links. So, you recommend HDMI splitters over USB soundcards -- good to know. However i'm in Switzerland and the splitters i see with separate audio out start at $300 :S
so, no usb soundcards eh?

The asus xonar u3, u7, and the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II work in linux.
[Linux] [XBMCbuntu] [Solved] Compatible USB with Optical Out Devices?

Good day I decided to install fedora 20 so I installed yesterday after one freeze of the installer the second time went well or that's what I thought. Last night while browsing I got a freeze and I had to force reboot now every time It boot a text line in black background shows up it goes fast andthe part I could read is: Error 61 defaulting to 0x0649 something like that. Then I login and it mess up I get an error the browser, while stopping the WiFi connection , etc.

Did you have that kind of issues when you tried fedora? I let it to create partitions by default but I changed the amount of GB only so I got 400mb of /boot, 11gb of / and close to 4gb of swap.

BTW I installed fedora after doing a factory reset to chromeOS and updating to coreboot. ChromiumOS never booted up on me so had to do the recovery method.

Could I have done something wrong ?

I decided to install fedora to run plex media server and xbmc, on Ubuntu PMS used to crash and I was getting freezings in xbmc that's why I wanted to give fedora a try. I also tried to install JoliOS based on Ubuntu with no success.

What are you running right now if I may ask.

TIA Smile

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - tetsuya - 2014-05-28

(2014-05-28, 17:47)Veronica Wrote:
(2014-05-27, 16:44)tetsuya Wrote:
(2014-05-27, 08:32)xaphod Wrote: Hi guys thanks for the links. So, you recommend HDMI splitters over USB soundcards -- good to know. However i'm in Switzerland and the splitters i see with separate audio out start at $300 :S
so, no usb soundcards eh?

The asus xonar u3, u7, and the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II work in linux.
[Linux] [XBMCbuntu] [Solved] Compatible USB with Optical Out Devices?

Good day I decided to install fedora 20 so I installed yesterday after one freeze of the installer the second time went well or that's what I thought. Last night while browsing I got a freeze and I had to force reboot now every time It boot a text line in black background shows up it goes fast andthe part I could read is: Error 61 defaulting to 0x0649 something like that. Then I login and it mess up I get an error the browser, while stopping the WiFi connection , etc.

Did you have that kind of issues when you tried fedora? I let it to create partitions by default but I changed the amount of GB only so I got 400mb of /boot, 11gb of / and close to 4gb of swap.

BTW I installed fedora after doing a factory reset to chromeOS and updating to coreboot. ChromiumOS never booted up on me so had to do the recovery method.

Could I have done something wrong ?

I decided to install fedora to run plex media server and xbmc, on Ubuntu PMS used to crash and I was getting freezings in xbmc that's why I wanted to give fedora a try. I also tried to install JoliOS based on Ubuntu with no success.

What are you running right now if I may ask.

TIA Smile

I tested Fedora as a live media and it seemed to run good (that was on the john lewis firmware). Right now im running Manjaro
(Arch) and everything seems fine (on Matt's firmaware). I'm running xbmc and and a few other apps (firefox, libreoffice, etc).
I had to set up the configuration for lirc on my remote (not out of the box like ubuntu), and apply some tweaks for suspend and
resume (box will suspend and resume but the usb ports will be powered down). For ChromiumOS I've been using my nexus to
boot with (my usb2 stick dosen't work with the new firmware and my usb3 that does, is being used now).

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - jsp1 - 2014-05-30

Updated to newest OpenElec and now getting video freezes again, audio continues just as before.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - teki4u - 2014-05-30

agrrr does anyone know what this error is about

usb 1-4: string descriptor 0 malformed (err = -61), defaulting to 0x0409

i have been getting that since upgraded to coreboot and upgrading kernel or ubuntu version say from 13.10 to 14.04

I installed 13.10 upgraded kernel to 14.1.04 rebooted got the error but for 1 sec and booted up. Then from that same install i upgraded to 14.04 and all i got after that was a black screen, tried everything to recover my installation but i ended up reinstalling 14.04 from live cd.

Now in 14.04 upgraded kernel to 15.0 rc7 to see if it solved the error but it doesnt and is worst it takes longer to boot. It shows the error mentioned and stays there for some more seconds then finally boots up to the desktop.

Any ideas of what can i try to fix it. i want to try something before i go back to old firmware for others with the same problem.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-05-30

(2014-05-30, 23:29)Veronica Wrote: agrrr does anyone know what this error is about

i have been getting that since upgraded to coreboot and upgrading kernel or ubuntu version say from 13.10 to 14.04

I installed 13.10 upgraded kernel to 14.1.04 rebooted got the error but for 1 sec and booted up. Then from that same install i upgraded to 14.04 and all i got after that was a black screen, tried everything to recover my installation but i ended up reinstalling 14.04 from live cd.

Now in 14.04 upgraded kernel to 15.0 rc7 to see if it solved the error but it doesnt and is worst it takes longer to boot. It shows the error mentioned and stays there for some more seconds then finally boots up to the desktop.

Any ideas of what can i try to fix it. i want to try something before i go back to old firmware for others with the same problem.

you'll get that error on the stock firmware too -- not sure what it is though, and don't think it's related to your problem

If you do a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 and upgrade to kernel 3.14.x you should be fine. Start with a known good working config and go from there

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - teki4u - 2014-05-31

(2014-05-30, 23:51)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-30, 23:29)Veronica Wrote: agrrr does anyone know what this error is about

you'll get that error on the stock firmware too -- not sure what it is though, and don't think it's related to your problem

If you do a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 and upgrade to kernel 3.14.x you should be fine. Start with a known good working config and go from there

I got the black screen again and confirmed why , it happened after applying the tearing fix @tetsuya mentioned.
That happened with kernel 3.14.04 and 3.15 rc7 which are the ones I downloaded, installed and tested.

I'm doing a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 then I don't know if upgrade kernel, I'm fed up of that error I don't want to see it.
Which proved to work kernel without issues I should try?

Thanks

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-05-31

(2014-05-31, 00:13)Veronica Wrote: I got the black screen again and confirmed why , it happened after applying the tearing fix @tetsuya mentioned.
That happened with kernel 3.14.04 and 3.15 rc7 which are the ones I downloaded, installed and tested.

I'm doing a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 then I don't know if upgrade kernel, I'm fed up of that error I don't want to see it.
Which proved to work kernel without issues I should try?

Thanks

3.14.1 should be good, that's what I install as part of the Ubuntu dual boot setup in the script. I also apply the tearing fix so not sure why you're having issues with it

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - MrCrispy - 2014-05-31

Is anyone using a Harmony remote with Chromebox running OpenElec? I just bought a Harmony smart control remote, and want to be ready when it arrives so would appreciate any tips, which IR dongle to use etc. I saw a post on the flirc forums that it has problems with the Chromebox so I'm not sure what to buy.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-05-31

(2014-05-31, 00:37)MrCrispy Wrote: Is anyone using a Harmony remote with Chromebox running OpenElec? I just bought a Harmony smart control remote, and want to be ready when it arrives so would appreciate any tips, which IR dongle to use etc. I saw a post on the flirc forums that it has problems with the Chromebox so I'm not sure what to buy.

I use a Harmony One with the Microsoft MCE profile and a (genuine) MCE IR receiver. The HP ones on Amazon I've linked to before work well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZGHZ1G/. You can also use the XBMC MCE add-on to tweak things as needed, but since you have a Harmony you can do it all in there.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - MrCrispy - 2014-05-31

(2014-05-31, 00:44)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-31, 00:37)MrCrispy Wrote: Is anyone using a Harmony remote with Chromebox running OpenElec? I just bought a Harmony smart control remote, and want to be ready when it arrives so would appreciate any tips, which IR dongle to use etc. I saw a post on the flirc forums that it has problems with the Chromebox so I'm not sure what to buy.

I use a Harmony One with the Microsoft MCE profile and a (genuine) MCE IR receiver. The HP ones on Amazon I've linked to before work well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZGHZ1G/. You can also use the XBMC MCE add-on to tweak things as needed, but since you have a Harmony you can do it all in there.

Thanks. Does holding down arrow keys do a fast scroll? I'm only asking because this is an issue I keep reading about. Also from your earlier post I understand that I can suspend/wake the Chromebox over wifi, but not from IR remote.