Kodi Community Forum
Asus Chromebox announcement - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Asus Chromebox announcement (/showthread.php?tid=185329)

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - luvdemnoles22 - 2014-06-10

Hey Matt I've been following this thread and the other one and I appreciate all the info I've gathered from them. I plan on buying the chromebox this week and installing dual boot Openelec on it. I have a 3.0 3tb WD external hard drive, will this work on it? I have a rather large movie collection and it would be a shame if it doesn't.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-06-10

(2014-06-10, 19:21)luvdemnoles22 Wrote: Hey Matt I've been following this thread and the other one and I appreciate all the info I've gathered from them. I plan on buying the chromebox this week and installing dual boot Openelec on it. I have a 3.0 3tb WD external hard drive, will this work on it? I have a rather large movie collection and it would be a shame if it doesn't.

it should. The only limitation with USB 3.0 devices is that they are not bootable in a dual-boot config, due to limitations of the stock firmware. If all you want is it to be recognized by OpenELEC as a media source, that should not be an issue

Great! Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm buying the chromebox with an upgradeable 2 x 4gb (8gb) memory sticks. I'll check back on here or the other thread depending if I have any more question. Thank you!

(2014-06-10, 15:56)deathtical Wrote: Well... seems to have worked. The only thing I would recommend would be a few more delay options. Right now there is a 1 sec and 30 sec option and it would be nice to have a 10 or 15 sec option. Just something in the middle. Also, it would be kinda nice if an option could be added to OpenELEC/XBMC to reboot to Chrome. Since the box defaults to booting to OpenELEC such an option isn't need to go from Chrome to OpenELEC. But an option in the restart menu to reboot XBMC and have it automatically select Chrome on boot would be cool. I'm not a Linux guy or a programmer so I don't know what is involved with creating such an option but considering what you guys have done so far I imagine this would be a cake walk for you guys. Thanks again for the help and I love this project.

The boot selection (UEFI/ChromeOS vs Legacy/OpenELEC) process and boot delay options (1s vs 30s) are limited to what is available in the stock firmware, there's nothing I can do there unfortunately. Anything to change the default boot device (eg, reboot to ChromeOS from OE, when legacy/OE is default) would require changing the boot flags dynamically, and that's not something I really want to tackle. Plus, you'd need hooks in XBMC/OE to choose 'reboot to ChromeOS' vs a normal reboot, so lots of modifications there, and not something that particularly interests me

(2014-06-10, 19:43)luvdemnoles22 Wrote: Great! Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm buying the chromebox with an upgradeable 2 x 4gb (8gb) memory sticks. I'll check back on here or the other thread depending if I have any more question. Thank you!

why? OpenELEC won't run any better on 8GB than 2GB.

I just thought by adding that I would get even better performance from the box. If you don't think it will it will save me $80

(2014-06-10, 20:02)luvdemnoles22 Wrote: I just thought by adding that I would get even better performance from the box. If you don't think it will it will save me $80

I do not. However, an extra 2GB stick would be worth it in a dual boot setup, only because of a stock firmware + kernel bug that causes high CPU usage on 2GB setups (due to only having a single channel of RAM?)

(2014-06-10, 20:08)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-10, 20:02)luvdemnoles22 Wrote: I just thought by adding that I would get even better performance from the box. If you don't think it will it will save me $80

I do not. However, an extra 2GB stick would be worth it in a dual boot setup, only because of a stock firmware + kernel bug that causes high CPU usage on 2GB setups (due to only having a single channel of RAM?)

I had read that someone else had upgraded their RAM and their box is running flawlessly so I thought I'd go the same route.

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - deathtical - 2014-06-10

(2014-06-10, 19:44)Matt Devo Wrote: The boot selection (UEFI/ChromeOS vs Legacy/OpenELEC) process and boot delay options (1s vs 30s) are limited to what is available in the stock firmware, there's nothing I can do there unfortunately. Anything to change the default boot device (eg, reboot to ChromeOS from OE, when legacy/OE is default) would require changing the boot flags dynamically, and that's not something I really want to tackle. Plus, you'd need hooks in XBMC/OE to choose 'reboot to ChromeOS' vs a normal reboot, so lots of modifications there, and not something that particularly interests me

But I needs it! Tongue

No worries. Was just a thought. I have one of those pesky wireless keyboards that don't work during boot and it's a pain to grab my wired keyboard just to boot into Chrome. Plus my wife said she will strangle me if I buy one more keyboard No

(2014-06-10, 20:24)deathtical Wrote: But I needs it! Tongue

No worries. Was just a thought. I have one of those pesky wireless keyboards that don't work during boot and it's a pain to grab my wired keyboard just to boot into Chrome. Plus my wife said she will strangle me if I buy one more keyboard :o

would be easier just to boot ChromiumOS via USB and just put in the USB stick when you want to boot it. Assuming your wireless keyboard works on the SeaBIOS boot menu

(2014-06-10, 20:26)Matt Devo Wrote: would be easier just to boot ChromiumOS via USB and just put in the USB stick when you want to boot it. Assuming your wireless keyboard works on the SeaBIOS boot menu

That's just it. It doesn't seem to work with the modified BIOS. It only seems to work once I am in Chrome or OE. Its a Logitech K400. I think I saw it listed on the wiki as not playing nice at the moment. Undecided

Oh well. Thanks

(2014-06-10, 20:33)deathtical Wrote: That's just it. It doesn't seem to work with the modified BIOS. It only seems to work once I am in Chrome or OE. Its a Logitech K400. I think I saw it listed on the wiki as not playing nice at the moment. Undecided

Oh well. Thanks

if you used a different legacy BIOS file which booted USB by default, then you could just insert / remove the USB depending on your boot preference, and the KB would be irrelevant

(2014-06-10, 20:45)Matt Devo Wrote: if you used a different legacy BIOS file which booted USB by default, then you could just insert / remove the USB depending on your boot preference, and the KB would be irrelevant

That still involves me getting off my fat @ss to switch between the two Eek

It's no big deal. I don't need to switch them that often. I mainly just sit in OE to watch my movies and Top Gear. The only thing I need chrome for is netflix and amazon prime video. I know there are add-ins for those. I just haven't tried them yet as I've read they aren't exactly stable on OE.

Thanks

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - elsmandino - 2014-06-11

(2014-06-10, 15:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-10, 14:35)elsmandino Wrote: Do you know whether you can use Hola, under ChromeOS, to unlock Netflix from other regions?

dunno, never heard of it, and living in the US, have never needed it.

Hola basically tricks your browser into making it think it is based in another territory.

In the UK, this is essential for watching Netflix as we get only a fraction of the stuff that you guys get in the US.

It would be great to know whether you can unblock Netflix with Hola on Chrome OS is the way you can with Windows.

One other thing - just to clarify, is it agreed that you can get 5.1 surround sound from Netflix, running it on Chrome OS?

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - loki131 - 2014-06-11

(2014-06-10, 20:24)deathtical Wrote:
(2014-06-10, 19:44)Matt Devo Wrote: The boot selection (UEFI/ChromeOS vs Legacy/OpenELEC) process and boot delay options (1s vs 30s) are limited to what is available in the stock firmware, there's nothing I can do there unfortunately. Anything to change the default boot device (eg, reboot to ChromeOS from OE, when legacy/OE is default) would require changing the boot flags dynamically, and that's not something I really want to tackle. Plus, you'd need hooks in XBMC/OE to choose 'reboot to ChromeOS' vs a normal reboot, so lots of modifications there, and not something that particularly interests me

But I needs it! Tongue

No worries. Was just a thought. I have one of those pesky wireless keyboards that don't work during boot and it's a pain to grab my wired keyboard just to boot into Chrome. Plus my wife said she will strangle me if I buy one more keyboard No

I haven't tried this but there is an OpenELEC addon that reboots to another OS, might be worth a shot! Big Grin
Linky

EDIT: I looked at it a little more and we need a GRUB menu that I'm not sure we have...

RE: Asus Chromebox announcement - Matt Devo - 2014-06-11

(2014-06-11, 17:24)loki131 Wrote: I haven't tried this but there is an OpenELEC addon that reboots to another OS, might be worth a shot! Big Grin
Linky

EDIT: I looked at it a little more and we need a GRUB menu that I'm not sure we have...

yeah, that would only be useful if one was booting to two different OSes in legacy BIOS mode and was using a GRUB bootloader menu to select between them. Selecting between two OSes on the fly, one in UEFI and one in legacy mode, is pretty much damn near impossible without some sort of user input.