• 2(current)
2021 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max
(2021-10-08, 10:38)pixeluk Wrote: Couple of questions:

Will this new device support unmolested audio passthru of Dolby Atmos / DTS:X bitstream to an AVR (typically mkv’s sourced from blu-ray rips) just like the Shield? Or does it have the same limitations as the current 4K Stick?

Will the current 3rd party USB Gigabit adaptors that work with the current 4K Stick work with the Max? A shame Amazon haven’t updated their own adaptor to Gigabit!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can test/answer these.
The new Fire TV Stick 4K max does indeed support passthrough of Dolby and DTS with the latest version of Kodi Matrix. The streaming speeds are much faster with a throughput close to 300 mbps using analfi speed test on the fireststick. I have only tested it for 5.1 DTS and Dolby due to my hardware speaker limitations, but I suspect Dolby Atmos and DTS:X will work.
I additionally tested:
- Adjust Refreshrate to match video: Worked
- DTS-HD-HR (2 channel 192 khz transport stream) works as well
- RAW (the Android Packer) fails for me for DTS / AC3, but kodi's IEC works fine: DTS, AC3, DTS-HD-HR, DD+, TrueHD -> PCM -> DD+ (this is sadly again done by FireTV on its own) works as they intended.

For now I like it ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2021-10-09, 15:00)fritsch Wrote: I additionally tested:
- Adjust Refreshrate to match video: Worked
- DTS-HD-HR (2 channel 192 khz transport stream) works as well
- RAW (the Android Packer) fails for me for DTS / AC3, but kodi's IEC works fine: DTS, AC3, DTS-HD-HR, DD+, TrueHD -> PCM -> DD+ (this is sadly again done by FireTV on its own) works as they intended.

For now I like it ...
for passthrough, I needed to go to expert mode and set in system for audio output device : " AudioTrack(IEC),  Kodi IEC packer (recommended) "  setting for it to work
Yeah - that's normal and to be done on every device. The default is for the "90%" of kodi users, who neither use passthrough nor other settings.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
My usual Kodi setup is a Mi Box 3 with a USB I/O- & powered-external drive (usually a NTFS-formatted 5TB HDD).

If I want to do the same with the TV Stick 4K Max can I use one of these powered USB hubs w/OTG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078MNW25Q/ and an exFAT-formatted 5TB HDD? (FAT32-formatting won't work as many of my files exceed 4GB and I want to use the 5TB HDD for portability.)
Does anyone tried 4k max connected to Avr ?

I hope that with os 7 refresh rate issue* (known bug) is solved

*Refresh rate match stop to work at first tv switch off or after 1/2 refresh rate match

Need to switch off and on again refresh rate match to get working

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/ques...ner-228285

Or well explained

https://amazon.developer.forums.answerhu...re-tv.html

I already tried many times ago with Dr HDMI but no luck (maybe i will try again again this weekend )
For those who have bought this new Stick, and own a Cube (2019+), what differences are they between how well the new stick run Kodi and the files / sound it supports over that of the latest Cube.
Putting aside the 8GB of storage, works out just over 5GB for use(?) and the Wi-Fi 6 is there much difference between them..?
Do they both run the same version of OS, I think they do..? And so would the capability and performance be similar between them - understanding that the Wi-Fi 6 might help with some streaming.
I do feel that the cube is very responsive, but costs more.

I see our older Fire TV 4k Stick running OS 6.2.8.1 and our cube (2019+) running 7.2.4.2

Thanks
Good question (the first one)

I'm also waiting to buy 4k max to see if cube 3gen will be announced

(I'm also interested in Nvidia release new shield model)
Would love to see new models of both, but have a feeling it won't be until next year.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I recently bought this model and I also have nvidia shield pro as well as a vero 4k+

My display is a panasonic plasma 1080p. The nvidia shield and the vero 4k+ are very similar in terms of picture coloring but I find the amazon fire to be soft. All of my hdmi inputs have the same settings and I can not get the firestick to get even close in terms of picture quality.

I have also changed settings in the firestick and nothing makes it look better

Any ideas?
FYI, some more technical specifications at CNX Software https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/10/12/...s-wi-fi-6/

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max (codename: AFTKA) specifications:
  • SoC – MediaTek MT8696 with quad-core ARM Cortex-A55 processor @ 1.8 GHz
    • Imagination GE9215 GPU @ 750MHz
  • System Memory – 2GB DDR4
  • Storage – 8GB storage
  • Video Output – HDMI up to 4Kp60
  • Video codecs
    • AV1 up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 60fps, 100Mbps, Main Profile Level 5.1, Color space 8-bit and 10-bit input with HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG.
    • H.265 (HEVC) up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 60fps, 35 Mbps, Main 10 Profile Level 5.1, Color space 8-bit and 10-bit input with HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG.
    • H.264 up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 60fps, 20 Mbps, High 10 Profile Level 5.2
    • H.263 up to 1080p30
    • VP8 up to 1080p30
    • VP9 up to 4K @ 60fps, Profile 2 up to 30 Mbps
    • MPEG-2 up to 1080p @ 60fps
    • MPEG-4 up to 1080p @ 30fps
  • HDR
    • Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision support for Profile 4-MEL, 5, 8, 9
    • HDR10, HDR10+, HLG
  • Audio codecs
    • Dolby Atmos, AC3 (Dolby Digital), eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) up to 48kHz, 8 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit
    • AAC-LC, HE-AACv1 (AAC+) and HE-AACv2 (enhanced AAC+) up to 48kHz, 6 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit
    • FLAC up to 48kHz, 2 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit (no dither for 24 bit)
    • MIDI (Type 0 and 1), DLS (Version 1 and 2), XMF, and Mobile XMF. Ringtone formats RTTTL/RTX, OTA, and iMelody.
    • MP3 up to 48kHz, 2 channels in DSP (16-bit and 24-bit) and software (16-bit).
    • Vorbis, Opus
    • PCM/Wave up to 96kHz, 6 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit.
    • AMR-NB
  • DRM – Microsoft PlayReady 3.3, Google WideVine L1 V14.1.2, HDCP 2.2, Fairplay
  • Connectivity
    • 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi 6; 2×2 MIMO (2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz dual-band) via MediaTek MT7921LS
    • Bluetooth 5.0
    • Optional 10/100 Mbps Ethernet with external dongle

"The dongle supports Miracast display mirroring, near-field Alexa control through the microphone button on the remote control, and far-field Alexa control when linked through an Echo device. Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max ships with a short HDMI female to male adapter, a USB cable and power adapter, and a 3rd gen Alexa voice-enabled remote control with two AAA batteries.

Amazon says their latest stick can stream videos from Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Hulu, Peacock, and others, and live and free TV is available through SLING TV, YouTube TV,IMDb TV, Pluto TV, Tubi, and more. The price starts at $54.99 with default accessories
"
Hi,
Can anyone confirm this will pass through 5.1.2 dolby atmos via true HD.
Thanks for any help
(2021-10-13, 03:09)Edworld Wrote: I recently bought this model and I also have nvidia shield pro as well as a vero 4k+

My display is a panasonic plasma 1080p. The nvidia shield and the vero 4k+ are very similar in terms of picture coloring but I find the amazon fire to be soft. All of my hdmi inputs have the same settings and I can not get the firestick to get even close in terms of picture quality.

Any ideas?

There is a setting in old Firestick 4k (probably in Max also) to choose HDR->Always and HDR->Auto. Did you try with setting this option to "Auto"?
(2021-10-13, 15:50)Sholander Wrote:
(2021-10-13, 03:09)Edworld Wrote: I recently bought this model and I also have nvidia shield pro as well as a vero 4k+

Any ideas?

There is a setting in old Firestick 4k (probably in Max also) to choose HDR->Always and HDR->Auto. Did you try with setting this option to "Auto"?

Similar options but had no impact on picture quality, thanks for responding
Anyone know if the Bluetooth audio still only supports sbc like the older 4K stick? Any aptx support?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2021 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max0