XBOX Version 20.5.0.70 not starting on XboxX
Hi all,
after updating the app on 7 March 2024, Kodi is not starting anymore on my Xbox x.

When I try I receive the error 0x80070091 from the Xbox OS.

I would love avoiding to reinstall the app and lose the entire library - is this a known issue?

Thank you!
There is an issue report here... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/24819
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for linking that issue!

It seems like that is pointing to addons issues with 21.0-RC1 (20.90.900).

The issue I'm seeing is on application start in the 20.5.0.70 version, which should be the latest release of nexus.

I'll maybe create a new issue in the github repo to track this, but given the fact that kodi doesn't open at all, I won't be able to attach any log.

Thank you!
This is a different problem and has nothing to do with v21 RC1 Python issues. v20.5 works fine for everyone else.

This seems more like a partial installation or corrupt download. You would have to force the installation again. If this is not possible, uninstall and reinstall (re-download from Store). There is a risk of losing local data (or that it is already damaged and that is why it does not start). In this case you should recover from the backup (https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Backup), which you should have already made before, preventing cases like this.

It may help to completely turn off the Xbox and disconnect from power to ensure a complete boot.
Thanks for the input. If anyone stumbles upon this, I was able to fix this broken installation, without uninstalling the app, like this:
  1. Copy the app from the internal to the external drive. You will now have the app installed in both drives
  2. Uninstall the app from the internal drive
  3. Move the app from the external drive to internal one
  4. Start the app
Following these steps fixed the issue for me.

Thanks for the support!
Did you keep your addons and stuff by doing this method?
Yes! Everything was maintained after moving back and forth from the external drive
I had the same failure on my Xbox Series X.  The Xbox automatically updated to Kodi version 20.5.0.70 on 3/8/2024 and when I tried to launch it, I got error 0x80070091.  I don't have a 128 GB USB 3.0 external storage drive to copy to, so I just uninstalled and re-installed Kodi.  It worked and I didn't lose any of my Kodi library content.  I didn't even have to do a backup.  I am using an external 4TB hard drive connected to the Xbox using USB for storage of the actual video files, but I believe the library metadata is on the internal app drive.  I could be wrong about that, but I do know that uninstalling Kodi didn't lose the metadata.
I'm not sure what would happen to addons during uninstall/reinstall.  Perhaps they would be lost.  I don't have any addons.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Version 20.5.0.70 not starting on XboxX0