Pi 3B and modern Video CODECs
Hello All,
My HP Proreliant Microserver can no longer play the latest video codecs. I have a Pi 3B lying around. Will this be any better?
Thanks
(2024-04-28, 05:22)roylefamily Wrote: Hello All,
My HP Proreliant Microserver can no longer play the latest video codecs. I have a Pi 3B lying around. Will this be any better?
Thanks

You don't say what processor your Proliant has in it - but the Pi 3B is suitable for MPEG2, h.264 and VC-1 content up to 1080p (I think you can still buy low cost licences that unlock hardware decode for VC-1 and MPEG2 if software decode isn't working for you, the h.264 licence hardware decode is standard).  

It won't play UHD/4K and will struggle with some HEVC/h.265 content (though 720p and lower bitrate 1080p24 stuff will work on older Kodi/LibreElec builds that use some clever tricks to get the Pi to decode with support from the GPU).  More recent Kodi/LibreElec builds don't have this code - so won't be a good fit.

I suspect if your Proliant is struggling - the Pi 3B will too - it's dead easy to try though - just download LibreElec 9.2.x (not 10. or 11) and see how it goes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi 3B and modern Video CODECs0