Kodi Community Forum
Release Universal Scraper for Music Artists - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Information Providers (scrapers) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=147)
+----- Forum: Music Scrapers (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=303)
+----- Thread: Release Universal Scraper for Music Artists (/showthread.php?tid=132623)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Re: RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - n1md4 - 2013-02-05

(2013-02-05, 00:26)fredphoesh Wrote: Hello guys,

I have been having very poor scraping results using Universal Scraper recently

I then changed the scraping settings to LastFM and began scraping again. I had 10/10 artists after a few minutes with Artist Info available.

My scraper on Universal Scraper is the one that was set by default, AudioDB for Artist Info and MusicBrainz for album info.

I just thought I should let you know because Universal Scraper was my saviour when Allmusic pulled the plug...

Thanks guys,
Mark.

I found the best way to get results from community projects was to contribute to them ;-) Seriously though, these projects are there for us, and will not have plugs (or API accounts) pulled! There is satisfaction too that the metadata you submit is then available to every one; even if the only reason you contribute in the first place is to help yourself, in the process you help every one else :-)

* n1md4 steps off the soap box..

Re: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - fredphoesh - 2013-02-05

I'm not following you.
Either you are saying I need to be a coder in order to meet your expectations of what it is one must do to be spared your condescension?
Or were you suggesting I should enter the artist info into a public database to share with others? If so, you misunderstand my post... The albums I'm not getting information for are not esoteric, rare albums that need any further information entered, even artists like The Beatles is void of artist information.
Soap boxes are dangerous places.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - n1md4 - 2013-02-05

There's not condescension here, just messing around, moving on.

I meant entering the artist info into a public database, and guested they'd not be there, but could not check without examples.

I have The Beatles, they scrape fine. How is your filesystem directory set out?

This might help:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library/Naming_files/Music_videos

Edit: that is a music video link, so not applicable.

It should be /path/to/source/artist/album/titles , at least, that's how mine works.

If that doesn't help, get a debug report up on xbmclog / pastebin of the failed scraping.

Re: RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - olympia - 2013-02-05

(2013-02-05, 00:26)fredphoesh Wrote: Hello guys,

I have been having very poor scraping results using Universal Scraper recently.

Today I wiped my database to start afresh because I had so many popular artists with no Artist Information available.

I then started scraping my music folder, then went to Library mode and into Artists to see what was happening, and after a few minutes I had ten artists, and only ONE of them had Artist Information available. Some were very famous people... so I stopped scraping and exit XBMC and deleted the database again.

I then changed the scraping settings to LastFM and began scraping again. I had 10/10 artists after a few minutes with Artist Info available.

My scraper on Universal Scraper is the one that was set by default, AudioDB for Artist Info and MusicBrainz for album info.

I just thought I should let you know because Universal Scraper was my saviour when Allmusic pulled the plug...

Thanks guys,
Mark.

In case you have 10/10 with last.fm and only 1/10 with the Universal Scraper, then something is wrong. The Beatles indeed has results with Universal Scraper. As said, a debug log is needed. Also, what happens when you try to manually refresh a single artist from the artist info dialog?

Re: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - fredphoesh - 2013-02-05

Hi Olympia, tx for the response, I will try once xbmc has finished scraping my library with lastfm.

I did try doing that, as I used to, but perhaps the menu choices have changed, I used to be able to update info for the artist being viewed, but couldn't see the option to do that. I'm on aeon nox. I'll try again later today and report back. In the meantime, please refresh my memory with how you do that.
Tx Mark

Re: RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - n1md4 - 2013-02-05

(2013-02-05, 10:23)fredphoesh Wrote: Hi Olympia, tx for the response, I will try once xbmc has finished scraping my library with lastfm.

I did try doing that, as I used to, but perhaps the menu choices have changed, I used to be able to update info for the artist being viewed, but couldn't see the option to do that. I'm on aeon nox. I'll try again later today and report back. In the meantime, please refresh my memory with how you do that.
Tx Mark

Aeon Nox 4? You should still be able to (I use a remote so don't know the exact key presses), from the artist info page press up, then select refresh.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - fredphoesh - 2013-02-05

(2013-02-05, 10:44)n1md4 Wrote: Aeon Nox 4? You should still be able to (I use a remote so don't know the exact key presses), from the artist info page press up, then select refresh.

Hi
Yep, ive found it, it has moved since v4, it used to be available when you clicked on biography, but now you press the UP key and it reveals the sidebar which has a refresh option.

Universal Scraper shows many FINDS and you can choose which one you want to update from manually. LastFM either finds a match or not, so you do not have the option for choosing something that is similar but not the same... for example, LastFM found Sly & The Family Stone but did not find Sly And The Family Stone. Weird... UScraper listed about 20 options, including Sly And The Family Stone, but none of them contained Biography information to get scraped, but nevertheless, it's good to have the options in UScraper.

Cheers for the help guys,

Mark.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - olympia - 2013-02-05

...but 'Sly & The Family Stone' I believe not one of those very famous bands that you were claiming that the Universal Scraper is not scraping from. Did you find the root cause of the issue, like with Beatles?

(2013-02-05, 14:05)olympia Wrote: ...but 'Sly & The Family Stone' I believe not one of those very famous bands that you were claiming that the Universal Scraper is not scraping from. Did you find the root cause of the issue, like with Beatles?

Hi
no, because I gave up on UScraper because LastFM did a fantastic job with the vast majority of artists.

I will try Universal Scraper on one of my other computers and see if it has any issues there... I'll report back.

Cheers
Mark.

(2013-02-05, 15:03)fredphoesh Wrote:
(2013-02-05, 14:05)olympia Wrote: ...but 'Sly & The Family Stone' I believe not one of those very famous bands that you were claiming that the Universal Scraper is not scraping from. Did you find the root cause of the issue, like with Beatles?
no, because I gave up on UScraper because LastFM did a fantastic job with the vast majority of artists.

Fantastic? Hehe, only in case you don't care about standardized, high quality images... Smile

Hi Olympia,

I have tried scraping on my PC which had not been scraped before, and did a quick test. Universal Scraper got about 5/10 and LastFM got 9+/10...
I think Universal Scraper once did use LastFM did it not? Anyhow, at this point, LastFM is a lot more useful... lets hope they don't block XBMC like Allmusic did.

Cheers
Mark.

(2013-02-05, 15:19)olympia Wrote: Fantastic? Hehe, only in case you don't care about standardized, high quality images... Smile

absolutely do not care at all, for me, having biographies and album reviews is MUCH more, and though the images on LastFM are very variable, they are mostly good enough, especially when I am listening with xbmc in full screen mode with Artist Slideshow addon running anyway, and I am sitting 12 feet from the screen.

perhaps Universal Scraper could get images from one place and Biog/Reviews from LastFM?

catcha later
Mark.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - zag - 2013-02-05

Mark, I'm not sure you understand, the universal scraper uses musicbrainz to search and then www.theaudiodb.com for its biography and review data source. It has less results than last.fm because its only been around for about a year.

This is a community driven site. I.E. you help build up the data yourself.

Complaining that the data is not complete is pretty pointless. Its your job as a user to help complete it.

You can add artists with a couple of clicks yourself so why not help out? If you add some then it will help everyone.

As fas as know http://www.theaudiodb.com/artist/The-Beatles is fully entered.

EDIT

http://www.theaudiodb.com/artist/Sly-%26-The-Family-Stone is also there, but maybe there is a problem due to the & in the name. I've added an alternate name now of "Sly and the family stone". Maybe that will help.

(2013-02-05, 16:08)fredphoesh Wrote: perhaps Universal Scraper could get images from one place and Biog/Reviews from LastFM?

In fact it does this, that's why it is called 'Universal'.
Last.fm scraping was disabled for a while, because we were generating too much traffic. This is now added back on.

TheAudioDb.com will not be disabled due to the traffic and this is a site where the community is in control.

However, based on your initial report I understood Universal Scraper is not finding your artists at all (see the example of The Beatles). So not finding the artists at all, or not finding Biogs for them are two different things. One could end up with a bug hunting while to other would just mean people would need to contribute.

(2013-02-05, 16:27)olympia Wrote: In fact it does this, that's why it is called 'Universal'.
Last.fm scraping was disabled for a while, because we were generating too much traffic. This is now added back on.

TheAudioDb.com will not be disabled due to the traffic and this is a site where the community is in control.

However, based on your initial report I understood Universal Scraper is not finding your artists at all (see the example of The Beatles). So not finding the artists at all, or not finding Biogs for them are two different things. One could end up with a bug hunting while to other would just mean people would need to contribute.

Hi again,
I looked in the Uscraper settings, one cannot add LastFM as the scraper for biographies, it is AudioDB or none.

Just to further illustrate the issue I am experiencing, I had done a partial scrape on the other computer using LastFM, and this showed The Beatles as having biography. Then as an experiment, I changed the scraper to Universal and did a refresh on The Beatles folder only... and what do you know, the biography was wiped blank... so that is two separate computers which both cannot scrape info for The Beatles. See photos: