Kodi Community Forum
Thoughts on this Build?? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on this Build?? (/showthread.php?tid=113614)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- bluray - 2011-11-01

voip-ninja Wrote:What is the Saphire going to do for him that the i3-2100 can't?
as you can see op list, he have gpu in mind. i suggested something better for less money too. he'll enjoy smooth/fast gui with his i3 cpu, and his gpu will provide smoother playback experience in full 1080p with dts-hd and truehd audio. i tried my sister inlaw i3 igpu, but i like my amd and nvidia gpu better for playback.

- Mallet21 - 2011-11-01

cappiel Wrote:Is their any other reason to use a GPU when you have an i3 CPU?

Not really....You can always add 1 later if you aren't satisfied with the results of the i3 gpu.

- bluray - 2011-11-01

CpTHOOK Wrote:WOW...okay!lol, I have the same CPU and didn't know that. So in other words, I can scrap my ATI6570 because my CPU's on-board can accomplish the same results?
you can try to connect your hdmi cable to your i3 igpu, and give it a try. you can compare it with your hd6570. if you like your i3 igpu, you can sale your hd6570 to at discount price. eventhough it is used, i'll be happy to pay for a used price! Laugh (i'm just kidding bud!)

- CpTHOOK - 2011-11-01

bluray Wrote:you can try to connect your hdmi cable to your i3 igpu, and give it a try. you can compare it with your hd6570. if you like your i3 igpu, you can sale your hd6570 to at discount price. eventhough it is used, i'll be happy to pay for a used price! Laugh (i'm just kidding bud!)

It did not work... when I first built HTPC I booted the first few times without card installed intel drivers but no HD Audio codecs installed only 7.1LPCM? I'm kool with 6570, but had I know I didn't need it I may have went in a diff direction!

- Beer40oz - 2011-11-01

bluray Wrote:you can try to connect your hdmi cable to your i3 igpu, and give it a try. you can compare it with your hd6570. if you like your i3 igpu, you can sale your hd6570 to at discount price. eventhough it is used, i'll be happy to pay for a used price! Laugh (i'm just kidding bud!)

WOW ... I did not know that the i3 could do all that. And it's flawless? no macroblocking or dropped frames? Cpthook try it out and see the difference on both .... if not sell me your 6570.... Nod

But wouldn't more people get the i3? so to me this is confusing.

- bluray - 2011-11-01

CpTHOOK Wrote:It did not work... when I first built HTPC I booted the first few times without card installed intel drivers but no HD Audio codecs installed only 7.1LPCM? I'm kool with 6570, but had I know I didn't need it I may have went in a diff direction!
i don't think that intel igpu is rated for dts-hd and truehd.

- CpTHOOK - 2011-11-01

bluray Wrote:i don't think that intel igpu is rated for dts-hd and truehd.

@Voip..Last question as i dont want to Hi-Jack, which I may have done already, but could you please provide link that may help me accomplish both HD audio and 3D on-board i3. I'm sure this will help out the poster as well!

- bluray - 2011-11-01

Beer40oz Wrote:WOW ... I did not know that the i3 could do all that. And it's flawless? no macroblocking or dropped frames? Cpthook try it out and see the difference on both .... if not sell me your 6570.... Nod

But wouldn't more people get the i3? so to me this is confusing.
not so fast, you can read through this thread especialy comments by poofyhairguy- Intel Sandy Bridge CPU integrated GPU

- Mallet21 - 2011-11-01

Beer40oz Wrote:But wouldn't more people get the i3? so to me this is confusing.

For the longest time XBMC and the i3 did not play well together. Recent builds though seemed to have fixed the issues people were having with DXVA + XBMC + i3. Further, DXVA is not needed with an i3 2xxx as it is plenty powerful to playback 1080p rips on its own just using the software to decode.

- voip-ninja - 2011-11-01

bluray Wrote:i don't think that intel igpu is rated for dts-hd and truehd.

Sure it is. The i3 fully supports HD audio, I'm not sure why you are indicating it does not.

If the Intel drivers are loaded it is important to make sure that when you go into the audio properties that you see the various codecs show up. For me, I see DTS, DTS-HD, LPCM, True-HD, etc. Now, I have not tested it out in XBMC because using special nightly builds for HD audio is too much hassle for me, but absolutely the hardware supports it.

Also worth pointing out that you should go into the audio properties for the Intel sound driver and make sure you set it to 5.1, 7.1, etc, because by default (for me anyway) it was set to 2.0 channel and any discrete 5.1 or 7.1 PCM stuff was being sent as 2.0 stereo.

Mallet21 Wrote:For the longest time XBMC and the i3 did not play well together. Recent builds though seemed to have fixed the issues people were having with DXVA + XBMC + i3. Further, DXVA is not needed with an i3 2xxx as it is plenty powerful to playback 1080p rips on its own just using the software to decode.

I don't even use DXVA, the cpu is powerful enough to do it all in software, and it all works.

I can't comment on HD audio, use of external players with XBMC, special nightlies, etc, but the i3 with sandy bridge absolutely supports HD audio.

bluray Wrote:not so fast, you can read through this thread especialy comments by poofyhairguy- Intel Sandy Bridge CPU integrated GPU

I highly doubt that poofy hair guy has tried i3 with the newer Intel drivers and/or using this configuration;

1. Sync refresh rate to source - ON
2. Sync display - ON
3. Fullscreen Window instead of True Fullscreen - OFF
4. Hardware acceleration - OFF

Now, there could be some special content or situation in which there is still an issue. All I can say is that I have played tons of my BD and DVD rips on the i3 and have had no problem whatsoever. No audio drops, no frame drops, no problems. Frankly I had more problems with both the AMD AND the Nvidia GPUs then I am having with the onboard i3. I am not using HD Audio, but the hardware supports it, as can be seen by just going into the audio properties for the intel sound device and seeing all the codecs listed. If someone has an easy way for me to test HD playback without screwing up my install I will be happy to prove it works.

It even switches sync faster than the outboard GPUs did, the sync switch from the 60fps XBMC GUI to the 24P movie playback is almost instantaneous and almost never distracting. On both the Nvidia and AMD GPUs sometimes this re-sync would take several seconds to happen and completely ruin the playback for a second or so while it synced up.

- g725s - 2011-11-01

Also, check this link there is some good info about HTPC from someone that is constantly building them: Assassin's Builds. And like another has said if your not into 3D you might consider the G620

- Beer40oz - 2011-11-01

voip-ninja Wrote:I highly doubt that poofy hair guy has tried i3 with the newer Intel drivers and/or using this configuration;

1. Sync refresh rate to source - ON
2. Sync display - ON
3. Fullscreen Window instead of True Fullscreen - OFF
4. Hardware acceleration - OFF

Now, there could be some special content or situation in which there is still an issue. All I can say is that I have played tons of my BD and DVD rips on the i3 and have had no problem whatsoever. No audio drops, no frame drops, no problems. Frankly I had more problems with both the AMD AND the Nvidia GPUs then I am having with the onboard i3. I am not using HD Audio, but the hardware supports it, as can be seen by just going into the audio properties for the intel sound device and seeing all the codecs listed. If someone has an easy way for me to test HD playback without screwing up my install I will be happy to prove it works.

It even switches sync faster than the outboard GPUs did, the sync switch from the 60fps XBMC GUI to the 24P movie playback is almost instantaneous and almost never distracting. On both the Nvidia and AMD GPUs sometimes this re-sync would take several seconds to happen and completely ruin the playback for a second or so while it synced up.

WOW! Shocked this is amazing. Makes me wan't to build a new htpc.

- eskro - 2011-11-01

voip-ninja Wrote:It even switches sync faster than the outboard GPUs did, the sync switch from the 60fps XBMC GUI to the 24P movie playback is almost instantaneous and almost never distracting. On both the Nvidia and AMD GPUs sometimes this re-sync would take several seconds to happen and completely ruin the playback for a second or so while it synced up.

actually, for me, on my triple-core + GT210 it switches almost instantaneous too!