• 1(current)
Thoughts on this Build??
Read through all the stickies, want a G5 caliber, and I love my other current Giga/i3 combo

Case SILVERSTONE ML03B µATX--- $60 Amazon
Mobo GA-H61M-S2H LGA 1155 H61 mATX Intel Motherboard---$75 MicroCenter
CPU Core i3 2100 LGA 1155 3.1GHz Boxed Processor--$99 MicroCenter
RAM 2x2GB DDR3 1333 CL7 Kingston HyperX--$38 Amazon
GPU ASUS HD5450 512MB DDR3 64-Bit Fanless Low Profile--$35 Newegg
SSD Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II SSD--$69 Newegg
PSU Antec EarthWatts 430W ATX12V--$45 Amazon

less ($50) in rebates
looks great ^_^ post some pics after your build
Your build is good as-is. If you want to save a few $$$ you could replace the i3-2100 with a G620 ($60) or a G530 ($40), both from MicroCenter. Either of those CPUs can handle XBMC duty without any difficulty.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Cool, thanks. I'll order tonight since a few rebates are ending today it looks like.

Just saw the microcenter email showing the Phenom II X4 840 processor for $59 also. Thanks!
why not this (SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5450 1GB) for $25? you'll get 1gb card too!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thumbs Up 
Oh I like it. Thanks for the heads up
Great choice for a case! I just finished my HTPC build using that case and loved the value for what you pay for it. Also glad to see an SSD being used for boot.
bluray Wrote:why not this (SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5450 1GB) for $25? you'll get 1gb card too!

What is the Saphire going to do for him that the i3-2100 can't?
I have just built a similar speced machine. No need for the GPU in my opinion. No issues here with onboard gfx
voip-ninja Wrote:What is the Saphire going to do for him that the i3-2100 can't?

How about HD audio? 3D? Looks to me as if his build is in 6/7cat... Unless shooting for cat/5. With GPU so cheap he may have changed mind!
Yes, I was thinking of getting HD audio for the future, that's why I had the first GPU. Still thinking that way actually unless there's a recommended better one
CpTHOOK Wrote:How about HD audio? 3D?

The i3 does both whereas the hd5450 only provides hd audio.
Mallet21 Wrote:The i3 does both whereas the hd5450 only provides hd audio.

WOW...okay!lol, I have the same CPU and didn't know that. So in other words, I can scrap my ATI6570 because my CPU's on-board can accomplish the same results?
CpTHOOK Wrote:WOW...okay!lol, I have the same CPU and didn't know that. So in other words, I can scrap my ATI6570 because my CPU's on-board can accomplish the same results?

Ya, pretty much.
Oh wow never knew that. Is their any other reason to use a GPU when you have an i3 CPU?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thoughts on this Build??0