Kodi Community Forum
XBMC hangs after starting (internet) video stream - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Forum: First-generation XBOX support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=158)
+--- Thread: XBMC hangs after starting (internet) video stream (/showthread.php?tid=30535)

Pages: 1 2

- arnova - 2008-07-22

briangm Wrote:I was able to resolve my issue with streaming by reducing my screen resolution from 1080i to 720p. My issue was with not enough memory when I was using the higher resolution.

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I thought I would post just in case.

Unfortunately the problem we are refererring appears with ordinary PAL resolutions (no HD etc.), so you experienced another type of problem (out-of-memory)....

- jwmail - 2008-07-22

I have got the same problem with XOT-UZG. Tried reducing the resolution, but no luck. What seems to help is to open the stream not with the Mplayer but with the DVDplayer, although sometimes that one hangs as well from time to time...

So if there is a solution, share it!:-)

JW

- funkytown - 2008-09-17

Ok, this problem of mms streaming freezing the xbox has not been resolved since.

I´d really fancy if some dev would finally look into this.

To help out: i was able to track down when this issue evolved in the svn tree (t3ch builds):

XBMC-SVN_2007-11-04 streams without any lock-ups

But in XBMC-SVN_2007-11-17 the freezing problem started.

As there were not any new mplayer.dll compiles put in the svn in between, the source of the problem must be in the xbmc core filesystem.

Between 11-04 and 11-17 there were specifically some changes to the cache handling under filesystem as well as changes under xbmc/cores/mplayer concerning the back-buffer.

I am quite sure the root of the lock-ups can be found found in one of these changesets:

Code:
Changeset 10691
changed: CFileCache now nolong does rebuffering of data. stalling in input
stream cases players to lockup. rebuffering must be handled in player.
Code:
Changeset 10758
added: proper detection of if stream is on local LAN
changed: mplayer now only prefills cache to 5% when file is on HD or local LAN
Code:
Changeset 10689
fixed: windows file handles are not thread safe if shared between threads,
so use standard ints for file position instead

Maybee now we could finally eleminate this very annoying problem with mms-streaming?

- arnova - 2008-09-17

The odd thing is also (as I already stated in the trac report) the problem only occurs on Xbox. I've tested it on Windows & Linux too but the problem doesn't seem to exist there. I'm also quite sure that it has something to do with the caching/buffering code. Mainly because the pre-buffering/caching on Windows/Linux is a lot slower(!) on those platforms than it is on Xbox (with the same buffer sizes)!

- arnova - 2008-09-17

I forgot to mention one thing: there is often a problem with A/V sync and MMS streams which also only seems to exist on Xbox. I think this is related to this issue too...

- arnova - 2008-09-24

funkytown Wrote:Ok, this problem of mms streaming freezing the xbox has not been resolved since.

I´d really fancy if some dev would finally look into this.

To help out: i was able to track down when this issue evolved in the svn tree (t3ch builds):

XBMC-SVN_2007-11-04 streams without any lock-ups

But in XBMC-SVN_2007-11-17 the freezing problem started.

As there were not any new mplayer.dll compiles put in the svn in between, the source of the problem must be in the xbmc core filesystem.

Between 11-04 and 11-17 there were specifically some changes to the cache handling under filesystem as well as changes under xbmc/cores/mplayer concerning the back-buffer.

I am quite sure the root of the lock-ups can be found found in one of these changesets:

Code:
Changeset 10691
changed: CFileCache now nolong does rebuffering of data. stalling in input
stream cases players to lockup. rebuffering must be handled in player.
Code:
Changeset 10758
added: proper detection of if stream is on local LAN
changed: mplayer now only prefills cache to 5% when file is on HD or local LAN
Code:
Changeset 10689
fixed: windows file handles are not thread safe if shared between threads,
so use standard ints for file position instead

Maybee now we could finally eleminate this very annoying problem with mms-streaming?

I did some additional testing and it seems like the problem lies in the (PM3) skin. I know it sounds odd, but I'm pretty sure. Could you test whether using the (PM3) skin (directory) from 2007-11-04 release fixes the problem in beta1...?

I noticed that there occassionally is a corruption of the text in the "Opening file"-dialog just before it starts to play. I think this is related (it could be that some kind of buffer-overflow is triggered by an issue in one of the skin files). The hang-problem seems to be fixed when replacing the contents of the Skin\Project Mayhem III\PAL directory with that of SVN-2007-11-04, although the text corruption in the dialog still occurs.

- arnova - 2008-09-24

I've now even narrowed it down to the "VideoOverlay.xml" file :-D Using the file from the 2007-11-04 version fixes the problem in Atlantis-beta1. This should be enough to get it fixed, I hope....?

- funkytown - 2008-09-24

Rofl How odd that is - the freeze is indeed related to PM3`s VideoOverlay.xml!
I just switched from PM3 to another skin and xbox doesnt freeze anymore.
There is however - as you mentioned - still a problem with the "Opening file"-dialog which sometimes makes the stream hang for about half a second right after playback starts - regardless which skin is used.

Thanks for your hint !

- f8lcoder - 2008-09-25

I'm curious if this may be associated with the mediaplayer failing to play/stream video/x-ms-asf files? I've also attempted to pass .asx streams into the mediaplayer with no success. If this fixes those issues it can open up alot more content for script development.

I'm currently using T3CH XBMC 2008-09-08 rev(15452). I'll try switching the skin later and passing in the stream address again.

If it works how would I go about fixing it in PM3? Can I just overwrite the VideoOverlay.xml file with the one from 2007-11-04?

Thanks,
FC

- arnova - 2008-09-26

f8lcoder Wrote:I'm curious if this may be associated with the mediaplayer failing to play/stream video/x-ms-asf files? I've also attempted to pass .asx streams into the mediaplayer with no success. If this fixes those issues it can open up alot more content for script development.

I'm currently using T3CH XBMC 2008-09-08 rev(15452). I'll try switching the skin later and passing in the stream address again.

If it works how would I go about fixing it in PM3? Can I just overwrite the VideoOverlay.xml file with the one from 2007-11-04?

Thanks,
FC

Yep, you can simply overwrite the VideoOverlay.xml-file. Another option is using another skin. Note that I doubt whether this will also fix your problem. If it doesn't, please open a new topic and post a debug log....