XBMC hangs after starting (internet) video stream
I'm using the XOT-Uzg script to view several Dutch internet streams on my XBOX/XBMC. But often XBMC hangs, just after starting playback of the internet stream. I've been told that this issue is probably located inside mplayer itself (and not in the script).

The steps to reproduce:
- I select a program to watch (in the script GUI);
- Popup windows shows "Opening file....Caching...";
- Screen switches from XBMC GUI to black to start video playback;
- XBMC freezes/hangs in the black screen with a popup window, only showing "Opening file". The FTP server doesn't work anymore either.

Note that I use a wireless bridge. A friend of mine has the same setup (although the brand of the bridge is different) and he experiences the same problem. So I don't think it has to do with my wireless setup. Also note that it only happens during the initial start of playback (right at the begin), never later on during playback.

My log-file can be found here: http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/xbmc-08012008.log (it's a .old as I can't retreive it right after the hang, as the FTP server isn't working anymore either). Note that the first 2 starts of the script (as shown in the log-file) work properly. The last one, is the one that hangs XBMC.
It has nothing to do with wireless. I've got the same problem on my xbox, connected to router with wire. I tried to change cache size, DNS even installed whole XBMC from the scratches couple of times - it did not help. I do not think that's some issue with XOT-UZG, because same thing happens when I'm using youtube script or GTReviews. Can't say if I had any issues with streaming from plugins, though. The problem occurs only with the scripts, I guess.
I'm running XBMC-SVN_2008-01-06_rev11247-T3CH - everything else up to date as well

Regards,
pX
arnova: did you get that fixed somehow?

Regards,
pX
pajretX Wrote:arnova: did you get that fixed somehow?

Regards,

Nope. I've tried the latest t3ch-svn version on several xbox'es (xbox'es of myself & my friends) but all suffer from the same problem. And the odd thing is still it is ALWAYS at very initial start (never later on). I've tried changing network settings etc. but without result. I does seem to be related to how fast/populated the streaming server is, you're connection to....
Sad 
I use the SVT script alot to watch Swedish News etc. I also get this problem quite often and it's very disturbing because you cannot cancel it. I have a very fast, low latency Internet-connection and I have tried streaming the same material with VLC on my Linux-PC and that works great.
I had the same issue with the newest version of XBMC ( XBMC-SVN_2008-03-23_rev12263-T3CH ).

Know I've installed the dashboard version from the Autoinstaller Deluxe 4.1 ( version 2007-04-08 ) and that doesn't have to problem of freezing or hanging when watching streams with the XOT script and the NIT script.

So installing an older version of XBMC might help.
kapser Wrote:I had the same issue with the newest version of XBMC ( XBMC-SVN_2008-03-23_rev12263-T3CH ).

Know I've installed the dashboard version from the Autoinstaller Deluxe 4.1 ( version 2007-04-08 ) and that doesn't have to problem of freezing or hanging when watching streams with the XOT script and the NIT script.

So installing an older version of XBMC might help.

Thanks for this info, it really helped a lot! I did some additional debugging and it turns out, that this issue can be isolated to the mplayer.dll-file. I now also use rev12263-t3ch but I used an older mplayer.dll, which (also) fixes the problem :-D

Additionally I isolated in which revision the bug first appeared and after a lot of trail and error it turns out that 2007-07-30_rev9731 was the LAST working version -> 2007-08-05_rev9834 was the first version that broke mplayer(.dll) causing the streaming-issue. I also checked the changelog and the relevant changes (I think) are:

2007-08-04 9819 changed. mplayer.dll now compiled with gcc 4.2.1 and with split optimisations, libav* is Os and rest of mplayer O2
2007-08-03 9787 updated: mplayer.dll ( enabled edl list, fixed asv/wmv bug with streams missing extended properties )

Hopefully this helps the developers (enough) to be able to resolve this (long standing) issue....
Hmmmm, I just experienced the hang-problem again. So apperently it's not the mplayer.dll after all :-S....
im also getting this same problem and its rather annoying...
Has anyone solved this one in the meanwhile somehow? I am using the latest "bleeding edge" build and I also suffer from the problem. Every third stream I open hangs and then there is nothing I can do except hard-power-off my XBOX and restart it. This is somewhat frustrating... especially if you have people with you and you have to keep them waiting therefore...

Thank you in advance and best regards,

LeChuck
it seems like a dutch problem on the amount of respond
if i open video internet media like this,
the problem starts.i love that there is a xot-uzg script with a lot of dutch video playback
but its so annoying that every time it crash.
I tried playback videos from other countries and i never have this problem.
or not so frequently as the dutch streams.
it's seems like how faster it finds the internet video
how more the change its that it crash.
also when you look at the bufferscreen that looks at +- 50 to 80 percent and than it goes quickly to 100 percent it hangs/crash
somehow i have a also the feeling it has to do with the black buffer screen when a media file starts.
why does it do so and how can we fix this?
and does everybody has this problem?
if you can't open the above stream just copy paste this
mms://wm6.xs4all.nl/streamgate72
i pm arnova to ask if he still has this problem

arnova said to me
Quote:Unfortunately I still have the problem too..... I understand that the content providers here in Holland probably will move to the flash RTMP protocol, which may fix the problem too. But this could take a while and it won't fix the *real* problem....

does any developer knows about this?
I believe the problem to be a thread-locking issue, although I'm not 100% sure... I hope it's a pinpointer for the devs...
I was able to resolve my issue with streaming by reducing my screen resolution from 1080i to 720p. My issue was with not enough memory when I was using the higher resolution.

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I thought I would post just in case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC hangs after starting (internet) video stream0