Kodi Community Forum
xbmc's plugin framework & documentation needs improvement - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: xbmc's plugin framework & documentation needs improvement (/showthread.php?tid=59789)

Pages: 1 2 3

- rene - 2009-10-20

davilla Wrote:That's nice, how are dvd iso's playing Smile

LOL

No idea, I rip all of our DVD's to DIVX. I think we've watched one DVD in the past year.

We have put a few cartoon DVDs on here and there, but we used our DVD player for those.

Basically, Plex works for our wants.

- jmarshall - 2009-10-21

@queeup: Thanks, that's a great help. If you could document what you HAVE found works (eg directly in listitem.cpp), and put up a diff we'd be greatly appreciated. I'm more than happy to fill in the blanks of a particular function.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- Geeba - 2009-10-21

"I moved to Plex for watching movies and things just worked."

Hmmmmm defianately a Mac users Rofl - your probably better off with Plex..... Laugh

- seedzero - 2009-10-21

Geeba Wrote:"I moved to Plex for watching movies and things just worked."

Hmmmmm defianately a Mac users Rofl - your probably better off with Plex..... Laugh

Yeah well I'm a mac user and prefer XBMC Wink

edit: might I suggest renaming the title of this thread so it doesn't devolve into another XBMC vs Plex thread?

- queeup - 2009-10-21

redtapemedia Wrote:edit: might I suggest renaming the title of this thread so it doesn't devolve into another XBMC vs Plex thread?

Yes. It's a good idea. I'm not create this tread for compare XBMC vs Plex.

@jmarshall : Sure. Let me try then Smile

- erhnam - 2009-10-21

Plex will soon be obsolete once 9.10 is out. Except they'll backport all functionality but then it will be obsolete again by the release of 10.04 Nerd

- rene - 2009-10-21

We have a MacBook for my wife (and movies), I have a XP desktop and my three year old plays with the Qimo 4 Kids Linux Distro. We're pretty well rounded.

As for XBMC vs PLEX, I'm not into that. XBMC worked for me for years on my XBox, it's been working for a year on my wifes MacBook but I think that machine needs a fresh OS install. There's a bit of cruft on that machine due to me learning my way around OSX using that machine. I have a feeling that's what's causing problems with XBMC.

PLEX just works for me right now. I also tried BOXEE, it also just works, but I don't like the interface that much. Also, being in Canada, none of the suggestions or feeds that are there when you log into BOXEE ever work for me. I haven't gotten into customizing it to see what I can make work.

Whenever I get a chance to reinstall OSX you can bet XBMC will be the first thing I put on. Hopefully, at the very least, those horrible noises I get are gone. I'm leaning towards the network issues I am having within XBMC causing those noises.

- rwparris2 - 2009-10-21

redtapemedia Wrote:edit: might I suggest renaming the title of this thread so it doesn't devolve into another XBMC vs Plex thread?

Done. Queep, I hope the title reflects your intention for this thread?

- queeup - 2009-10-21

Yesss it's perfect. Let me start then (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7424)

- queeup - 2009-10-22

I wonder, what do you think about xbmc,xbmcgui,xbmcplugin modules inside C development beside outside C (normal *.py files) development. I think normal python module development easier then embedded type. (Or is it possible?)

Could someone explain to me embedded C modules and normal python module pros and cons?

- jmarshall - 2009-10-23

The key is the communication with XBMC.

You can either go for some message-passing system (eg passing some XML or JSON strings over pipes) or you go for direct transfer of information by having a python module implemented in C that allows the transfer.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- jmarshall - 2009-10-23

The key is the communication with XBMC.

You can either go for some message-passing system (eg passing some XML or JSON strings over pipes) or you go for direct transfer of information by having a python module implemented in C that allows the transfer.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- queeup - 2009-10-23

@jonathan
lol I don't understand what you are talking about Sad

Nevermind. Could you review my ticket? Also I forgot Cc to other devs. Could you do that for me?

- spiff - 2009-10-23

not really related to this, but i think by doing for #1 we would have much better chances at designing a saner api Wink

- queeup - 2009-10-24

I think @jonathan is busy with other stuffs or I add wrong Cc person. If any other devs interested pls come and join to review.

@spiff
Hmm do you wanna give us some saner api idea examples. I really wonder your ideas.