Kodi Community Forum
Upgrade to Lion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: Upgrade to Lion (/showthread.php?tid=105897)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Memphiz - 2011-10-08

took a quick look on your ls -al again... didn't know that the XBMC folder didn't reside in Volumes. Well it should work with your current layout if you share each volume. The links should work then. So just additionally share humuhumu and so on ...

- ctawn - 2011-10-09

thanks for sticking with this. Still no love, though. Using latest nightly (xbmc-20111007-e330173-master-i386).

On the SERVER:

As you suggested, I moved the XBMC folder to /Volumes, and then explicitly shared that. (although I am a bit nervous about the implications of having a "pseudovolume" folder in /Volumes for the system.)

Code:
MacPro:Volumes ctawn$ cd /Volumes/XBMC/
MacPro:XBMC ctawn$ ls -al
total 40
drwxr-x---+  8 ctawn  admin  272 Oct  8 08:53 .
drwxrwxrwt@ 19 root    admin  646 Oct  9 09:05 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 ctawn  admin    0 Oct  8 08:53 .com.apple.timemachine.supported
lrwxr-xr-x   1 ctawn  admin   22 Oct  5 12:31 Video [Gendut] symlink -> /Gendut/Video [Gendut]
lrwxr-xr-x   1 ctawn  admin   26 Oct  5 12:34 Video [HumuHumu] symlink -> /HumuHumu/Video [HumuHumu]
lrwxr-xr-x   1 ctawn  admin   40 Oct  5 12:36 Video [Komodo-iTunes] symlink -> /Komodo/Music/iTunes Music Folder/Movies
lrwxr-xr-x   1 ctawn  admin   18 Oct  5 12:37 Video [Naga] symlink -> /Naga/Video [Naga]
lrwxr-xr-x   1 ctawn  admin   20 Oct  5 12:38 Video [Rakus] symlink -> /Rakus/Video [Rakus]

I removed the old XBMC share at the other location from File Sharing. As you say above, I explicitly shared all other external volumes (though I don't get why, normally if I connect to "MacPro" from another computer I can mount any volume attached to it.)

ON THE CLIENT RUNNING XBMC:

Here are the edits made to mediasources.xml and to an example video.db file:

Here is an attempt to play a movie from the Movies library:

Here is what the broken thumbnails look like in the Movies library:

Here's the "Info" screen for one of the borken thumb movies:

* Note that the path appears correct. Also note that I cannot get "info" with keyboard "I" for all movies in database (as previously) -- nothing happens on several, including "9 Naga" (the test movie above).

Here is an attempt to browse Videos->Files for the MacPro source:

... continued ....

prev message continued... - ctawn - 2011-10-09

Here is editing the MacPro video source:

Note that the above gives the old numbered LAN address, even though I changed it to "MacPro.local" in mediasources! (weird).

So here after changing that in XBMC to MacPro.local:

Here is some sample from my log.

Note the afp:// get errors, and for some reason there are still smb:// urls in there:

Code:
9:07:18 T:2953850880   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting afp://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [HumuHumu] symlink/Feature Movies/Little Shop of Horrors [Original Ending] (1986)/
09:07:18 T:2953850880   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting afp://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [Gendut] symlink/Feature Movies/Lock.Stock.and.Two.Smoking.Barrels.1998.720p.XviD.AC3-PsychoLogic/
09:07:18 T:2953850880   DEBUG: OpenDir - Using authentication url smb://ctawn:password@192%2e168%2e0%2e202/XBMC/Video%20%5bRakus%5d%20symlink/Indonesian/Long%20Road%20to%20Heaven
09:07:18 T:2953850880   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://ctawn:password@192%2e168%2e0%2e202/XBMC/Video%20%5bRakus%5d%20symlink/Indonesian/Long%20Road%20to%20Heaven'
                                            unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'

Full log here:

http://pastebin.com/GiRmgHXE

- Memphiz - 2011-10-09

Links looking good now and the shares aswell. But it states:

Code:
09:06:47 T:2957709312   DEBUG: AFP: Could not find a volume called XBMC

So something is still fragged with the pseudo share. And thinking a bit longer about it it should be equal where the XBMC folder sits (sorry - didn't realise it at the first thought). As long as it is accessable by afp://ip/XBMC ...

No clue whats wrong here. If you can access XBMC - the rest should work too then...

- ctawn - 2011-10-09

Memphiz Wrote:And thinking a bit longer about it it should be equal where the XBMC folder sits (sorry - didn't realise it at the first thought)

Sorry, what should "be equal" to what? Not sure what you're saying here. Do I move the XBMC share folder, or what specifically? Or are you saying you can't tell what the issue is, also? What more can I provide?

- Memphiz - 2011-10-09

equal in the sense of "it doesn't matter where to put that XBMC folder" as long as its shared.

So i don't know whats wrong but afp in xbmc can't see a shared folder with the name XBMC ... play with the server settings of your mac until this error doesn't appear in the log file anymore ... you could even move that folder back where you had it before if that worked.

- ctawn - 2011-10-10

Interesting. OK, I can report some progress. I did the following:

1. Moved the "XBMC" folder back to where it had been when I was using smb://.
2. removed the last share when it was in /volumes
3. Again shared the XBMC folder in the new (old) location, which on the server is /Windows/XBMC/
4. Restarted both server Mac and client running XBMC.

This time when I tried to browse the MacPro share, TWO of the 5 volumes could be browsed. These were:
1. Komodo
2. HumuHumu

The others could not. Everything is the same in the server side sharing set up for all volumes.* (Remember I added each volume as separate share points as you said.) Only my user "ctawn" can read & write, otherwise restricted.

But I notice in the new xbmc.log that it is trying anon access:

Quote:08:32:42 T:2957176832 DEBUG: AFP: Using anonymous authentication.
08:32:42 T:2957176832 DEBUG: AFP: Connected to server MacPro using UAM "No User Authent"
08:32:42 T:2957176832 DEBUG: AFP: Could not find a volume called Gendut

But why? And if it is, then why can it access Komodo and HumuHumu?

Then I had a look at the AppleFileServiceAccess.log on the server. And it's full of both Guest access and logins and logouts!

* Edit:

Not everything is exactly the same in the server side sharing. 3 of the volumes including the two I could access (Komodo, HumuHumu) have "read only" access for "Unknown User". The system would not let me delete this so-called "Unknown User". (I wish it would!). But the third volume, "Naga", also has that undeletable "Unknown User" as read-only. But I cannot access Naga from XBMC on the client.

- Memphiz - 2011-10-10

ctawn Wrote:Interesting. OK, I can report some progress. I did the following:

1. Moved the "XBMC" folder back to where it had been when I was using smb://.
2. removed the last share when it was in /volumes
3. Again shared the XBMC folder in the new (old) location, which on the server is /Windows/XBMC/
4. Restarted both server Mac and client running XBMC.

This time when I tried to browse the MacPro share, TWO of the 5 volumes could be browsed. These were:
1. Komodo
2. HumuHumu

The others could not. Everything is the same in the server side sharing set up for all volumes.* (Remember I added each volume as separate share points as you said.) Only my user "ctawn" can read & write, otherwise restricted.

But I notice in the new xbmc.log that it is trying anon access:

But why? And if it is, then why can it access Komodo and HumuHumu?

Then I had a look at the AppleFileServiceAccess.log on the server. And it's full of both Guest access and logins and logouts!

* Edit:

Not everything is exactly the same in the server side sharing. 3 of the volumes including the two I could access (Komodo, HumuHumu) have "read only" access for "Unknown User". The system would not let me delete this so-called "Unknown User". (I wish it would!). But the third volume, "Naga", also has that undeletable "Unknown User" as read-only. But I cannot access Naga from XBMC on the client.

Ok will have a look into why its trying to anonymous login. I have already an idea what this could be. About the unknown user i don't have a clue.

May i ask something out of curiousity? What das HumuHumu mean in english? Big Grin

Edit: this issue should be fixed in master now - retry with the next nightly plz...

- ctawn - 2011-10-10

Memphiz Wrote:May i ask something out of curiousity? What das HumuHumu mean in english? Big Grin

Edit: this issue should be fixed in master now - retry with the next nightly plz...

OK, I will try tomorrow then. Thanks.

HumuHumu is short for humuhumunukunukuapua'a.

- ctawn - 2011-10-11

OK, Yeah!! Now we're really getting somewhere! Using xbmc-20111011-5a0a5b0-master-i386.dmg

Thanks again. However, things are still not right.

I was able to browse videos->files with all my symlinks. Excellent!

Note that one oddity, I had one symlink to a folder in my boot volume user domain that I made normally, as such:

Code:
ln -s "/Users/ctawn/Pictures/iPhoto Libraries/iPhoto Library/Masters" "iPhoto Library"

However, I couldn't browse that. I made it this way (where "Macan" is my boot volume) instead, and that worked:

Code:
ln -s "/Macan/Users/ctawn/Pictures/iPhoto Libraries/iPhoto Library/Masters" "iPhoto Library"

THE DOWN SIDE

Now that I could browse Videos->Files I expected that the Movies library would now work. Unfortunately it's very much as it was before:

1. tons of broken thumbnails
2. some entries that won't allow me to get "Info" at all
3. cannot find my test movie ("9 Naga") in the library, asks to remove.

As before, I notice some odd things in the xbmc.log:

1. No reference to an attempt to play "9 Naga"
2. instead, several entries related to failed attempt to get directories for other movies in the same parent folder as "9 Naga" (on the volume "Rakus") with smb:// protocol.

Code:
07:49:49 T:2961436672   DEBUG: DoWork - took 293 ms to load special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/abfaf44b.tbn
07:49:50 T:2953850880   DEBUG: OpenDir - Using authentication url smb://ctawn:password@192%2e168%2e0%2e202/XBMC/Video%20%5bRakus%5d%20symlink/Indonesian/Janji%20Joni%20%282005%29
07:49:52 T:2953850880   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://ctawn:password@192%2e168%2e0%2e202/XBMC/Video%20%5bRakus%5d%20symlink/Indonesian/Janji%20Joni%20%282005%29'
unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'

I'm quite sure that all this means that I didn't completely change all necessary paths in the .db files.

In all the databases with a "path" table I changed all the strPath fields from smb:// to afp://.
Also in the textures.db files I changed in the "path" table the field "url".

What about the special:// protocol? What else would I be missing so that:

a) most (all?? 0/5 tried) movies won't play
b) thumbnails broken
c) can't get info on some (not all) entries

Finally, and this is no big deal, the AFP logs are showing frequent logins and disconnects while browsing. Isn't there a way to stay logged in to each volume while XBMC is open?

Thanks again.

- Memphiz - 2011-10-11

ctawn Wrote:Finally, and this is no big deal, the AFP logs are showing frequent logins and disconnects while browsing. Isn't there a way to stay logged in to each volume while XBMC is open?

Don't you think i would do it if i could? Last time - libafp is crap and needs tons of nasty workarounds - this beeing one of it...

For the smb and thumbnail thing. Whats your advancedsettings.xml ...

And once again - i know you just wanna help be only posting slices of a debug log. But it doesn't help. I allways need a full debug log.

- ctawn - 2011-10-11

Memphiz Wrote:Don't you think i would do it if i could? Last time - libafp is crap and needs tons of nasty workarounds - this beeing one of it..

I trust you would do everything you could to make XBMC magical. But we (humble users) don't know what you are aware of until you say you are, right? Of course I would have preferred to stay with smb:// which worked just perfectly fine, but for Apple pissing on it. Smile

Memphiz Wrote:For the smb and thumbnail thing. Whats your advancedsettings.xml ...

I will check this and post back soon. I didn't touch that file, that's for sure.

Memphiz Wrote:And once again - i know you just wanna help be only posting slices of a debug log. But it doesn't help. I allways need a full debug log.

I didn't just post the slice. I linked to the full xbmc.log on pastebin, as I've been doing all along.

- ctawn - 2011-10-11

Memphiz Wrote:For the smb and thumbnail thing. Whats your advancedsettings.xml ...

Assuming you mean in "userdata", just this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videoextensions>
    <add>.html</add>
  </videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

(never been touched)

- Memphiz - 2011-10-11

I have the feeling that your setup brings the libafp to its edge on atv2:

Code:
07:46:26 T:2963959808   ERROR: AFP: Failed to stat(Users/ctawn/Pictures/iPhoto Libraries/iPhoto Library/Masters/) on link resolve Cannot allocate memory

And i don't know why there are still smb urls in there. The thumbnails might be crapped because the hash is different now because the url has changed. Not sure about that.

Unfortunatly i have to say that i have to leave you here. Its a way to much trouble in your setup and it just costs me a bit to much time for finding a solution for your very special setup.

One hint. I would try to export that library into xml. Then i would check the pathes and clear all smb stuff out. And then i would reimport the changed xml db. Of course make a backup of your current userdata folder before.

I can't give you much hope that exporting and importing such a big lib will work on atv2 without issues/crashes - not sure. But at least it is worth a try.

I think i will be able to help again, when we found a better library for handling afp.

ok - ctawn - 2011-10-12

Thanks, M. I appreciate your help thus far and just hope that my information has helped not just my "unusual" situation but also helped improve support for afp:// in general.

I'll make some additional observations, though before probably just starting the huge chore of reorganizing my videos and rebuilding my entire library from scratch. (uggg.)

First, XBMC client is not running on an atv2, but on a MacBookPro running 10.6.8. I would like to get an atv2 to replace that (and maybe now is the time given I have to rebuild my whole library...). But the process of moving a library from one machine to another could really stand to be improved.

Ideally, there should be a way built into XBMC to globally replace one source with another, where all paths to media and associated artwork could be easily changed.

The fact that there are hash marks and such which could trip up even the careful manual path editing that I was doing seem to me to be a problem if there is no way to handle that.

At minimum, there should be good and complete documentation about what exactly needs to be changed to move from one protocol to another or from one share point to another. I already mentioned above what I replaced in the .db files. But it turned out that when I exported my video library as you suggested, there were several consistent smb:// paths still "alive". Specifically:

Code:
<path>afp://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [Rakus] symlink/Indonesian/Gie (2005)/</path>
        <filenameandpath>stack://smb://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [Rakus] symlink/Indonesian/Gie (2005)/GI_E_disc1_grassispink.DAT , smb://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [Rakus] symlink/Indonesian/Gie (2005)/GI_E_disc2_grassispink.DAT</filenameandpath>
        <basepath>smb://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [Rakus] symlink/Indonesian/Gie (2005)/</basepath>

Also note above that when I thought I had changed all numbered IPs (192...202) to "MacPro.local", they also weren't changed in "filenameandpath" and "basepath".

Incidentally, I had high hopes there! I changed afp:// to smb:// in the .xml (1000+ changes) and then reimported into a clean library. Unfortunately I wound up exactly where I was before.

Finally, there are some unanswered questions:

1. why would many movies not allow me to get info anymore at all?
2. why would probably all movies not play any more but ask if I wanted to remove from library?
3. and most importantly, why were the above two failures not logged at all, even in debug mode??

FYI, here's my xbmc.log after re-importing and then attempting to play several movies (all with error #2 above). (Note: cut in middle cuz of pastebin 500K limit).

By the way what is: "GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 8, from xbmc, message OnUpdate"?