Kodi Community Forum
XBMC for Linux success stories :) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC for Linux success stories :) (/showthread.php?tid=28648)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- plok - 2008-05-02

MrDohnuts Wrote:I initially installed (as recommended) on Ubuntu 7.10, used envy to install the NV driver and compiled XBMC from SVN. The desktop compiz was smooth as silk but when I ran XBMC I was getting about 17fps no matter what I did. I then temporarily installed an NV 8600GT and everything played nice ..hmmm

Being new to Linux I then proceeded to destroy my install by screwing about with things I should not have been touching Smile

So, I removed the 8600GT, and figured I'd try my luck with Ubuntu 8.06 for the re-install. Again I used ENVY to setup the onboard NV-7050PV and again the performance in XBMC was awful.

I put the 8600GT back in and everything was fast again ...success!

Ah ok. My difference is that I don't run any desktop and compiz...just an Xsession. Good to know if I've ever recommending my setup to mates.

- cornbell - 2008-05-02

My system

video: AMD 780g (ATI radeon 3200 HD) through hdmi
cpu: AMD 64 dual core 5000+ BE (stock cpu speed)
ram: 2gigs

plays video 720p and 1080p h264 over network wirelessly. xbmc may need a bigger cache though. I have it maxed on mine for all fields.

Success - haffi - 2008-05-05

Installed 7.1
and used apt-get for xbmc.
Using orginal Xbox remote with Orginal Reciver Soilderd to a USB plug.
Running with 2Gb mem.
80 Gb Disk.
GA-73PVM-s2H Motherboard.
Dual Core 1.8 Ghz E2160
Geforce 7100 Nforce 630i,
Hooked up to a Sharp 32' LCD Running 720p all worked fine very litle tuning to do.
However Audio through HDMI I did not get to work , did not spend much time at it since LCD does only send out Stereo anyway, and this setup is in my Bedroom :p
Needed to install newest Alsa for sound.
Also added Powerd for speed stepping to lower power consumtion.

I have had my xbox modded since Orgina, V 1.1 and I have to say it was hard to move from the orginal box, still have them and using, however HD was screaming for it to be watched Wink

Again XBMC Developers you ROCK !Big Grin

- shadiumax3 - 2008-05-07

Decided I needed to get some experience with Linux - XBMC was a catalyst for that!

ASUS A7N-266 Mobo
AMD AthlonXP 2400
512MB RAM
nVidia 6800 GT (AGP)
80GB HDD
16x DVD
MS MCE Remote

Ubuntu 7.10 with updates
Envy for nVidia Drivers
XBMC build from about two weeks ago
Lirc

Everything I used my Xbox for works brilliantly, with additional benefits:
I can now play 720p content, I can use the keyboard to speed up setting up shares and renaming titles in the library etc, and I can actually export my library now when it has finished scanning (I have ripped all my dvd's to a file server, and I have a large collection) which the Xbox could never manage - I think it was something to do with memory limitations on the Xbox but it would always crash when trying to export the library.

So far I have had some success with skins - Aeon seems to work but I need to configure it properly, the same with vinci although that seems very flakey on my system, and Fusion refuses to do anything. Sticking with PM3 for a while so I can fully test it.

MCE remote worked flawlessly immediately after installation of Lirc.

The machine itself sounds like a light aircraft due to a combination of noisy PSU, loud CPU fan and rediculous GPU fan, but the machine was built with spare parts I had lying around. Now I know how brilliant XBMC Linux already is I will be putting together a new (Quiet) PC to replace my very elderly Xbox

Many thanks to everyone involved in creating this awesome software.

Now I just need to figure out a way of launching it that suits me... using the terminal every time is not convenient...

- DopplerDeffect - 2008-05-07

Got XBMC working with little effort. I'm using the latest Hardy Repositories, just upgraded to Hardy a week ago. I initially had an ATi 9700 All-In-Wonder but, due to ATi's lack of linux driver support and a low amount of on board memory, I switched to the NVidia 8700 GT with much better success. One major problem with the 9700 is that all Video just had alpha and green channels. This was resolved by switching to the Nvidia and downloading the latest drivers from the repository.
I'm running an AMD 64-bit 3Ghz single core with 1GB RAM and a motherboard integrated 5.1 AC97 Sound Card. I'm running VGA to the TV at 1080p (Didn't want to mess with component) and optic to the surround sound. I needed no xorg.conf editing, Hardy autodetected the Samsung TV and adjusted the resolution accordingly. 720p x264 Videos run great. I only have one 1080p x264 video and it does not run so great but I'm not sure if that's due a bad encoding because it also runs poorly on my other machine which should be more than capable.

- calvinandh0bbes - 2008-05-07

funny story (to me).

I bought a Popcorn Hour (Network Media Tank) to play HD content on my 1080p plasma since my XBMC on xbox couldn't handle any HD content. I had looked into the linux version of XBMC, but figured since it is still in early alpha, I'd use the PH as a stop-gap until i could build a cheap HTPC with a stable linux-XBMC sometime down the road. My PH plays videio pretty well, but it is rather buggy. Upon installing XBMC on my main linux desktop box and playing a little, I think I can say that the early alpha of XBMC-linux may be further along than the production firmware for the PH. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Intel Core2 Duo 1.8 Ghz (haven't overclocked yet)
Abit IP35
2 Gig 800MHz ram,
Gefore 7600 GT

- rodalpho - 2008-05-07

I looked into the popcorn hour myself before I decided to jump into XBMC for linux. As someone who's used both, how do you compare the two?

rodalpho Wrote:I looked into the popcorn hour myself before I decided to jump into XBMC for linux. As someone who's used both, how do you compare the two?
PH pros:
price, $200
small unit, size of a big router
uses very little power
dead silent, no fan (though it runs HOT HOT HOT)
boots up fairly quickly versus PC, slower than Xbox XBMC
typing on the provided remote is easier than Xbox remote, harder than keyboard
plays 90% of what you throw at it, and if it plays, it generally looks as good as it is supposed to (true 1080p clips look awesome)

Cons:
limited by internal guts (no upgrading video card, CPU, etc)
user interface is HORRIBLY SLOW and ugly as sin (though i mainly care what content looks like)
firmware is VERY buggy
Power off/standby done by remote, but after a total power down, power up is done by unplugging/plugging in the whole unit (wtf?)
Music/slide show interfaces are horrible
can't (yet) name network shares. shares appear as URL paths (ugly, confusing for non-techs who may live with you)
expect new features/capabilities to plateau quickly as it's hardware limited
things like pause/resume/rewind/ff are cumbersome (or non-existent)

XBMC linux

Pros:
Developers make the best product out there. Period. End of story.
Evolves quickly
Not hardware limited, can upgrade pieces when needed
GUI is very responsive, nice looking, smooth as silk
Video/Music/Photos seem to work well
endless possibilities as for new features/capabilities given a full supporting computer is involved, not a single, highly specialized circuit board

Cons:
Need a whole computer, somewhat powerful for good HD content (which means $$$)
computer will have a bigger footprint, and noisier (though can be made pretty dang quiet)
No official hardware specs available (though decent direction is given)
not as quite as buggy, but more involved in initial setup

overall, i'd say if you want a very small footprint and something that plays most anything currently, a PH is a decent solution, especially for the $$$, though you need to be fairly tech-savvy
if you play lots of music and slideshows, demand a good GUI, and don't mind needing an additional computer, XBMC linux is the way to go, though you may need to be equally or more tech savvy.

down the road, if a cheap hardware setup can be acheived (sub $300-$400) to handle most everything, i have no doubt XMBC linux will be a no brainer. i bought the PH figuring I'd need it for a year or two, then relegate it to a non-promary room after replacing it with a XBMC. (though i don't like the idea of having a few hundred $ computer attached to each TV. a $50 used, modded xbox was doable).

- rodalpho - 2008-05-07

Oh, no pause or fast forward, that'd be a problem. Thanks.

- bmfrosty - 2008-05-07

Speaking of Popcorn hour and such, it would be really pleasant if Sigma Designs (and other similar companies) would make their chips available on PCI(Express) cards and open the interface to linux (ffmpeg like interface?). A minimally powerful mini-itx solution with a good H.264 decode accelerator would be a beautiful thing.

rodalpho Wrote:Oh, no pause or fast forward, that'd be a problem. Thanks.
PH has pause and fast forward, but pause is buggy (how can something so simple be buggy?), and no rewind for some formats. FF is limited to 8x even for simple SD XVid content. no resume is a killer for me right now.

- Appletalk - 2008-05-08

CPU: Core2Quad 2.4GHz Q6600
Mobo: EVGA e-7150/630i
Ram: 2GB 800MHz Corsair
GPU: Gforce 7150 onboard over HDMI (Really awesome video card for onboard)
Audio: Onboard 7.1 RealTek HD SPDIF passthrough working 100%
Case: LIAN-LI PC-C35B mATX
XBMC: SVN updated daily

It took some work to get this computer working with 7.10, updating audio drivers etc, but I am happy to report everything works out of the box with 8.04 except for HDMI audio passthrough but thats not a big deal, I just changed my Pioneer receiver to use optical for audio instead of HDMI. Only quirk was disabling some of the ubuntu "visual effects" so full screen works properly.
Full 1080p video working, with digital 5.1 audio passthrough never drop frames. Awesome job XBMC dev team, keep up the good work.
Cheers

- odinb - 2008-05-08

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M
CPU-Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Alpine 7 GT 80 mm PWM Fan with Ultra Low Noise Impeller
Mobo: ASUS P5B-VM SE Intel Core 2 Duo (Desktop) Socket 775 1066 MHz PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) mATX Motherboard with optional ASUS Motherboard Accessory S/PDIF Out + Coaxial(In and Out) Optical Module #33587
Ram: OCZ Gold GX XTC 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G8001GK
GPU: MSI NX7300LE-TD256EH GeForce 7300LE 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card (to get OpenGL 2.0 support, the onboard Intel GPU only supports OpenGL 1.5)
TV-Card: pcHDTV Inc. HD-5500 HDTV PCI CARD
Audio: Onboard Realtek ALC883 6-channel High Definition Audio CODEC with SPDIF passthrough working 100%
HD: SEAGATE ST3250310AS 250GB SATA 7200 RPM 8MB Hard Drive
Case: ANTEC Fusion Black Home Theater PC Enclosure
CD/DVD: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S OEM BK
Input: Logitech Dinovo Edge Bluetooth Keyboard with TouchDisc navigation
Screen: Vizio L37HDTV10A 37 inch LCD Native resolution 720p (1366x768)
XBMC: SVN updated whenever I feel like it...

Using VGA-cable for video, optical for sound.
Using the bluetooth keyboard as remote untill I get the IR installed/configured.

Positives:
XBMC runs like a charm, even with H.264/x.264 HD content (main reason for moving the Xbox HW with XBMC to secondary viewing room)
Quiet (even more quiet than my Xbox with modified fan with temperature control)
Ubuntu Hardy installed with no issues at all except for what is mentioned below.

Issues so far:
Screen resolution on my Vizio was off and wrong (800x600 max). (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781972)
Could not initially run full-screen. (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32982)
Keyboard took time to initialize, around 10 seconds. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4806028&postcount=7)
Does not "output stereo to all speakers" for music only, like Xbox XBMC did. (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33036)
Have not gotten case-IR and LCD to work yet. (http://codeka.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22)

Left to do:
Get case-LCD to work.
Get my Xbox and Logitech Harmony 520 remotes to work with case-IR.
Enable power up/down of machine with remote.
Fix "output stereo to all speakers" for music only if possible.
Install mythTV to be able to record OTA ATSC-broadcasts with the pcHDTV-card.

Thanks XBMC-Team! Have used your mediacenter for many years! The easiest most powerful mediacenter that works for the missus and kids also! Big Grin

- odinb - 2008-05-08

How do you do edit? Cannot see an edit button!

forgot to mention, suspend to RAM works out of the box with Hardy also...

- Evin - 2008-05-09

odinb Wrote:How do you do edit?

You have to be god or mod.