Kodi Community Forum
Adding AFP? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: Adding AFP? (/showthread.php?tid=105513)

Pages: 1 2

Adding AFP? - garyi - 2011-07-14

Hi team. I installed Nito then the AFP package.

How do I now add an AFP volume?

ATV2 and SMB do not appear to mix to well.

Cheers

- Memphiz - 2011-07-14

its impossible as of now. AFP package only works the way around (serving the files from the ATV2 to a mac). SMB should work - or even NFS...

- emkay - 2011-07-14

Sorry to tell you that, but atm there is nov AFP support in xbmc. Stick with SMB or user NFS, FTP, UPNP, etc... Wink

There is an implementation on its way for AFP, but we have to wait for that a little longer...

EmKay

- garyi - 2011-07-14

Hey thats cool no problem. SMB works, just Smile

My NAS (QNAP) happily provides NFS and I set it up on the shares I want with the IP address of the ATV2.

But beyond this I am a bit stuck, again I have no idea how to add it as a share in XBMC, I tried adding a location, picking NFS then adding the NASes IP etc, but it automatically puts a port number in for me, and I don't really understand why it would be doing that on LAN? (Not terribly savvy on this type of ting it has to be said) Suffice to say it fails, spectacularly, crashing XBMC on the first try then trying again it sits there doing nothing when I click it.

I would like to add NFS but like most things linux those talking about it know their stuff and don't seem to make it easy for us Noobs.

- Memphiz - 2011-07-14

did you read the nfs wiki entry (2nd link in my signature)? biside that this thread might be helpfull... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91776

- garyi - 2011-07-14

Hi memphiz. Thanks for your help, but the wiki seems to show osx, windows and linux.

Qnap is a linux build so far as i can workout i have turned nfs on.

And i am attemting to connect with an ios device which is not osx and does nt have a key board.

I did read through the link you posted already, which lets face it is not for newbies. I would not know where to begin because as the wiki, its written by the knowledgable to people it is assumed are knowledgable. Where as i have used mac since 1981, all this stuff is terribly complicated !

- Cranial - 2011-07-15

garyi Wrote:Hi memphiz. Thanks for your help, but the wiki seems to show osx, windows and linux.

Qnap is a linux build so far as i can workout i have turned nfs on.

And i am attemting to connect with an ios device which is not osx and does nt have a key board.

I did read through the link you posted already, which lets face it is not for newbies. I would not know where to begin because as the wiki, its written by the knowledgable to people it is assumed are knowledgable. Where as i have used mac since 1981, all this stuff is terribly complicated !

What model QNAP are you running?

I managed to get it running on my TS-509, after a lot of messing around. I will try to add it to the wiki once I get the procedure working properly. Unfortunately at the moment the required changes won't survive a reboot or NFS service restart. (QNAP in their wisdom are enforcing there own security ideals upon the end user).

NFS is more stable / faster than SMB. It is worth the effort in my opinion.

If you give me an idea of what you've done / how far you've gotten with your QNAP and NFS I'll try to assist.

- garyi - 2011-07-15

Well i went into network services on te nas and turned on nfs then in each of the shares i selected nfs and typed in the ip of the atv i want to access the nas.

Thats as far as i got. I tried the adding a sourse on the atv by putting in a new location picking nfs then entering the nas ip and various paths such as just the share or the nases name then the share, but nothing works.

As stable as nfs probably is, its not nearly as user friendly as smb!

- Cranial - 2011-07-15

garyi Wrote:Well i went into network services on te nas and turned on nfs then in each of the shares i selected nfs and typed in the ip of the atv i want to access the nas.

Thats as far as i got. I tried the adding a sourse on the atv by putting in a new location picking nfs then entering the nas ip and various paths such as just the share or the nases name then the share, but nothing works.

As stable as nfs probably is, its not nearly as user friendly as smb!

Okay, this really isn't your fault. It's the way the QNAP NFS is implemented.

First, login to the QNAP and turn on NFS. Now leave it alone. Restarting NFS or rebooting the QNAP will set your /etc/exports file back to standard.

For your shares, you need to set access to 'no limit' and put each individual IP into the settings box, separated by a comma. I.E.
PHP Code:

Once you've done that, you'll need to ssh into the QNAP.

Then
PHP Code:
vi /etc/exports 

You will see something like this:
PHP Code:
"/share/NFS" *(no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,fsid=0)
"/share/MD0_DATA/Public" *(rw,async,no_root_squash
"/share/NFS/Public" *(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/MD0_DATA/Qdownload" 192.168.1.15(rw,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/NFS/Qdownload" 192.168.1.15(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash
"/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia" 192.168.1.15(rw,async,no_root_squash
"/share/NFS/Qmultimedia" 192.168.1.15(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash

Navigate with the arrows to where you want to change. Press i to insert text.

Add insecure to each share like this:

PHP Code:
"/share/NFS" *(no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,fsid=0)
"/share/MD0_DATA/Public" *(rw,async,no_root_squash
"/share/NFS/Public" *(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/MD0_DATA/Qdownload" 192.168.1.15(insecure,rw,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/NFS/Qdownload" 192.168.1.15(insecure,rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash
"/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia" 192.168.1.15(insecure,rw,async,no_root_squash
"/share/NFS/Qmultimedia" 192.168.1.15(insecure,rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash

In that example, 192.168.1.15 is the IP of the ATV and I'm sharing Qmultimedia and Qdownload.

Now make sure to save that. (Press ESC and then :wq)

Now issue the command: sudo exportfs -ra

Log out of ssh.

Now, either directly in Sources.xml or via XBMC, add your source like this: nfs://192.168.1.50/share/NFS/Qmultimedia/

And hopefully this will work.

This method will not survive a REBOOT of the QNAP or a restart of the NFS service on the QNAP

I'm working on that......

- garyi - 2011-07-16

Wow thanks for the reply, i will try this as smb is constantly buffering

- garyi - 2011-07-16

It was going well until the point I was supposed to hit escape and save. I hit escape and the mac just beeped at me and I was still stuck in the area I was changing text.

Sorry, hope that makes sense.

- garyi - 2011-07-16

Nope got that bit ok in the end but 'sudo exportfs -ra' is command not found

- garyi - 2011-07-16

Tried it without sudo and it said about exports not being support in V1 or something.

I also tried adding the source from with XBMC but it kept insisting on sticking a port number in. So I tried creating a source.xml file where I entered one of the shares as a test. I put this in applications/XBMC.frappliance/xbmcdate/xbmchome/userdata

But it does not show up.

Sigh. I really want to use the ATV2 as I need to get a few quid for the mac mini, but its not been a great experience thus far. 720 rebuffers every few minutes. and iPlayer is nearly unusable.

Oh well, I will have to sell my body instead!

- garyi - 2011-07-16

Exciting times, I found the actual location of my userdata folder. NFS is being scanned now.

- Cranial - 2011-07-16

garyi Wrote:Exciting times, I found the actual location of my userdata folder. NFS is being scanned now.

Okay. Let me know how it goes. Just as an aside, you can edit your existing posts rather than making new ones.

I'm at work all weekend so not able to help much at the moment.