Kodi Community Forum
Flat screen TV back lighting, cleaning up my set up - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Flat screen TV back lighting, cleaning up my set up (/showthread.php?tid=115755)

Flat screen TV back lighting, cleaning up my set up - OniFactor - 2011-11-29

let me preface this by saying i thought that this would be a best fit (by description) in the OT forum.. but i can't make it there. if it fits here, all the better.

I'm trying to do little things to improve my living room setup, and i've come to the conclusion that i may need to start considering installing a backlight behind my tv. my current set up, as it stands is:

LG 32" LCD-TV model 32LD450 (1080p, 60hz)
Apple TV2
Black Nintendo Wii using Component Vid
Black Samsung HD cable box, provided by TWC
and, the low end of my system.. a Philips HTS3372D/F7 5.1 channel home-theater-in-a-box. (i'm looking to upgrade to a regular 5.1 channel A/V receiver, but i do like how small and inconspicuous the philips speakers are, currently.)

Question 1.) i'd ideally like to wall-mount the TV at about the same height as it is on the stand currently, and have as few cables running to it as possible (flat HDMI for video, and a flat power cable?), but i don't know if it's worth it, or if i should just leave it on the TV stand as is. ideas?

Question 2.) now, i've noticed lately, since i do most of my watching late at night, that my eyes are getting quite strained, and i've read of the benefits of putting a soft back light to give depth to the TV screen. i've thought about building my own USB powered strips, unless i can find something reasonably inexpensive instead. My fears with the DIY LED/USB strips is that i don't know how bright/what color temperature things are going to turn out to be. Does anyone know of another way of achieving this for ~15 bucks or so? i also considered re-wiring a strand of christmas lights, for the effect.

I know, it's a long post, but i appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and respond with a helpful answer. Big Grin

- waldo22 - 2011-11-30

You should search for "ambilight" "ambient lighting" and "boblight".

There are some pretty good threads here about it. Documentation is a bit sparse, and I think it's still for tech-minded folks, but it's really cool.

-Wes

- OniFactor - 2011-11-30

waldo22 Wrote:You should search for "ambilight" "ambient lighting" and "boblight".

There are some pretty good threads here about it. Documentation is a bit sparse, and I think it's still for tech-minded folks, but it's really cool.

-Wes

yeah, i have looked into that, and it loks like a great solution.. except my AppleTV can't control it, haha

- XMBC_FREAK - 2011-11-30

Sometimes you have to recognize that one machine cannot do it all. Why not build a arduino light with an IR sensor so you could control it via your remote it can even be the same remote for appletv.