Kodi Community Forum
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) (/showthread.php?tid=124880)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2016-03-10

(2016-03-09, 16:13)bitnumus Wrote: Hey pkscout, here you go http://xbmclogs.com/ptupq3swm

I uninstalled the addon, deleted all data in its directory and reinstalled it.

It loaded the first artist ok, then didn't load "lil wayne", i noticed that it had a 0kb musicbrainz file and thats all, so i copied in my backup and it worked ok.

It seems some artists fail, i cannot see why.

I hate to do this, but you need to enable to debug mode for AS as well (it's in the advanced window of the settings). I looked through the log you did post, and all I can say is that Kodi isn't crashing. AS writes it's debug log to the Kodi log, so enable the AS debugging, try again, and post that log.

Quote:sidenote: Any plans to integrate into the amazing new themes just release? Big Grin

I will, at a minimum, have instructions on how to add AS support to Estuary. I'll probably provide a full mod with AS support for folks who don't want to futz with doing it manually, but that probably won't be until Krypton gets to at least beta stage (and more likely release candidate).

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Yasko - 2016-03-10

(2016-03-09, 18:09)pkscout Wrote: You need to also turn on the debugging in AS. It's in the advanced window in the AS settings.

So, here is the link to the new log file. Debugging in AS was active.

http://pastebin.com/XhBDW2mp

The problem with the black screen was with Metallica and Rolling Stones.

Thanks for your help!

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2016-03-11

(2016-03-10, 12:19)Yasko Wrote: So, here is the link to the new log file. Debugging in AS was active.

http://pastebin.com/XhBDW2mp

The problem with the black screen was with Metallica and Rolling Stones.

OK, I see what's going on. In order to make sure that AS is getting the right MusicBrainz ID there is a fair amount of checking that is done before images are downloaded. AS starts by asking for all the MusicBrainz IDs that potentially match the playing artist. AS then asks for all the albums by the first potential match. If AS finds a match to the album name, then it stops and uses that MusicBrainz ID to find images. If no album matches, then it asks for all the songs by the potentially matching artist and tries to match there. If no match is found, it goes to the next potential artist and starts again. If nothing is found, then an empty musicbrainz.nfo file is written out. If a match is found, the MusicBrainz ID is stored so we don't have to go through all that again.

In both your cases AS doesn't find a matching artist before the song ends, so you never get any images. I think that's because you have an album named "RTL Ultimative Chart Show" that doesn't correspond to an actual release by the artist. Given AS is trying to get a large number of albums and then songs for two pretty prolific bands, I'm not surprised it runs out of time.

The solution for this is to manually add the Music Brainz ID to the musicbrainz.nfo file in the artist's directory. The directory are hashed names, so you will need to download Artist Slideshow Helper from the repository and have it generate a file that tells you the hashed directory name for each artist in your library. Once you have that, go to your Kodi preferences folder and look for:

userdata/addon_data/script.artistslideshow/ArtistInformation

Find the right folder and in there find the musicbrainz.nfo file (or create one if needed). Then go to the musicbrainz web site, find the artist, copy the MusicBrainz ID, and paste it into the file.

BTW, I think starting with Kodi v16 you can store the musicbrainz ID in the mp3 file and have Kodi read it into the music library. If that happens, AS will get the ID from Kodi and not have to do all the looking.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - marc.chabot - 2016-03-11

Hello guys,

One quick question: is AS working with Krypton and Estuary skin? It seems to download images ok but won't show anything on screen?

Thanks for helping.

Marc

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2016-03-11

(2016-03-11, 15:11)marc.chabot Wrote: One quick question: is AS working with Krypton and Estuary skin? It seems to download images ok but won't show anything on screen?

The skin must support AS in order for downloaded images to be displayed, and none of the default skins for Kodi support AS. I haven't looked at either the Confluence or Estuary skins yet to see about mods, but if you look at the wiki page for AS (link in my sig) you'll get a sense of what needs to be done to support AS.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Yasko - 2016-03-13

(2016-03-11, 01:02)pkscout Wrote: Find the right folder and in there find the musicbrainz.nfo file (or create one if needed). Then go to the musicbrainz web site, find the artist, copy the MusicBrainz ID, and paste it into the file.

Hi, thanks for the support . I have supplemented the .nfo file with the missing MusicBrainz ID . Now everything runs .
Thank you for your help!Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Hustler1337 - 2016-03-29

Hi Pkscout,

First off, a big thank you for this amazing addon, it definitely makes a big difference with artist slideshows displaying in the background during my music playback. Big Grin

Just a small feature request, is it possible to have the album art display instead of a blank screen as the fallback image? Quite a few of the artists in my music collection do not have available fanart because they're foreign artists. Instead of being left with a blank screen, I'd like to see the option to set the album artwork as a fallback maybe in the corner or centre of the screen?

Finally, what does "override slideshow"? do in the addon settings?

Many thanks for your consideration Pkscout!

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2016-03-30

(2016-03-29, 16:33)Hustler1337 Wrote: Just a small feature request, is it possible to have the album art display instead of a blank screen as the fallback image? Quite a few of the artists in my music collection do not have available fanart because they're foreign artists. Instead of being left with a blank screen, I'd like to see the option to set the album artwork as a fallback maybe in the corner or centre of the screen?

Unfortunately, no. In order to show album art, AS would have to actually find and download it (I don't think there is any way to ask Kodi for the artwork). IT would be a substantial upgrade to have AS get album art. Depending on your skin, you might be able to bring up the On-screen Display (OSD) while music is playing. That usually has the album art and some basic info about the artist. That's what I do on Confluence. That way if there is no artwork I can still get some basic information about the artist.

Quote:Finally, what does "override slideshow"? do in the addon settings?

That allows you to designate a folder of images to show no matter what is playing. So perhaps you want to listen to some music and watch a slideshow of your last vacation. Pop the pictures in a folder, point the override option at that folder, and away you go.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - seanmack - 2016-03-30

Ok... I can be a bit 'slow' at times? So I have this add-on installed in my Aeon Nox Silvo skin. I wanted artist images to come up when I play music from XMBC MP3 Streams, but I am still seeing visualization. Do I still have to edit code or make some type of manual edit to get what I want? If so, what?

Thanks for the patience!

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2016-03-30

(2016-03-30, 17:43)seanmack Wrote: Ok... I can be a bit 'slow' at times? So I have this add-on installed in my Aeon Nox Silvo skin. I wanted artist images to come up when I play music from XMBC MP3 Streams, but I am still seeing visualization. Do I still have to edit code or make some type of manual edit to get what I want? If so, what?

I'm not familiar with how the Aeon Nox skin handles it when AS and a visualization are active at the same time. I suspect you need to find a setting somewhere in the skin settings to turn off the visualization. You might ask in the Aeon Nox skin thread to see if someone can help you with that.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - zag - 2016-03-30

Can I ask how the metadata site lookup works for TheAudioDB?

Just looking at the statistics.... Artist.slideshow is hitting our site over 1.5 million times over a 24hr period on the searchtrack, searchalbum, album-mb methods. Thats over 6 million hits a day if you include all api methods using that api key.

That seems like a lot and i'm wondering if it can be improved in some way by calling the API less. I'm not sure its sustainable in the long term to have this much API usage for a single add-on. Am I right in thinking it downloads the artwork every single time as well?

What about caching or using the musicbrainz id only?

(2016-03-30, 22:27)zag Wrote: Can I ask how the metadata site lookup works for TheAudioDB?

Just looking at the statistics.... Artist.slideshow is hitting our site over 1.5 million times over a 24hr period on the searchtrack, searchalbum, album-mb methods. Thats over 6 million hits a day if you include all api methods using that api key.

That seems like a lot and i'm wondering if it can be improved in some way by calling the API less. I'm not sure its sustainable in the long term to have this much API usage for a single add-on. Am I right in thinking it downloads the artwork every single time as well?

What about caching or using the musicbrainz id only?

Yikes. That does seem high. Here's how it's suppose to be working:

1- AS gets the musicbrainz ID either from Kodi or by finding it on MusicBrainz. That is cached in a file, so after the initial lookup it'll never look that up again. If AS doesn't find one, it will try again in a couple of weeks.

2- If the user has selected to use TheAudioDB (and it's off by default), then AS asks for the artist bio (via artist-mb.php), albums (via album.php) for the given MusicBrainz ID (if no MusicBrainz ID, then AS does not query TheAudioDB). It then caches the artist bio and album info. AS won't check again those for updates for 2 weeks.

So far, so good. But I think I found the problem. AS is asking for and downloading a list of images every time. I could've sworn that it was honoring the cache timing for the bios and albums, but it is not. Let me look into fixing that.

I'm really sorry about this. I try to be a good API citizen, but in this case I flat out fell down on the job. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2016-03-31

(2016-03-30, 23:03)pkscout Wrote: Yikes. That does seem high. Here's how it's suppose to be working:

1- AS gets the musicbrainz ID either from Kodi or by finding it on MusicBrainz. That is cached in a file, so after the initial lookup it'll never look that up again. If AS doesn't find one, it will try again in a couple of weeks.

2- If the user has selected to use TheAudioDB (and it's off by default), then AS asks for the artist bio (via artist-mb.php), albums (via album.php) for the given MusicBrainz ID (if no MusicBrainz ID, then AS does not query TheAudioDB). It then caches the artist bio and album info. AS won't check again those for updates for 2 weeks.

So far, so good. But I think I found the problem. AS is asking for and downloading a list of images every time. I could've sworn that it was honoring the cache timing for the bios and albums, but it is not. Let me look into fixing that.

I'm really sorry about this. I try to be a good API citizen, but in this case I flat out fell down on the job. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

OK, I think I've fixed this. 1.8.8 is now available in my repo, so anyone using that will get it soon. I've submitted 1.8.8 to the official repo as well. I suspect that will get updated in the next couple days. One thing to note. This fixes AS for Kodi Helix and later. If you feel like we need to go back further than that, I'll have to find a copy of the older version and do the modification (I was a bad programmer and did not branch my git repo when I made major code changes for Helix).

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Deggsy56 - 2016-04-01

Need a little help with the Artist Information in Aeon Nox please. Artist Slideshow is working fine, but what i DON'T see is the Artist Information (Persistent Enabled) Running along the bottom of the screen as it should. Was fine on my previous Android |Box but not running on the new one! I like this feature in AN particularly when playing my own MP3 collection (How does it knowHuh) Do i need to download an additional addon, a repo or program or enable something or tweak a setting somewhere for this to happen?? Thanx in advance.

Thank you to Skin Dev Big Noid for a quality skin/

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2016-04-02

(2016-04-01, 19:49)Deggsy56 Wrote: Need a little help with the Artist Information in Aeon Nox please. Artist Slideshow is working fine, but what i DON'T see is the Artist Information (Persistent Enabled) Running along the bottom of the screen as it should. Was fine on my previous Android |Box but not running on the new one! I like this feature in AN particularly when playing my own MP3 collection (How does it knowHuh) Do i need to download an additional addon, a repo or program or enable something or tweak a setting somewhere for this to happen?? Thanx in advance.

Thank you to Skin Dev Big Noid for a quality skin/

One thing to check quickly. Make sure that the DOWNLOAD ADDITIONAL ARTIST information is selected on the main screen of the AS settings.

If that is set, I'd have to see a debug log with BOTH kodi debug logging AND AS debug logging enabled (AS debug logging is enabled in the ADVANCED section of the addon settings). With that I can tell you if AS is grabbing the artist information. I can't tell you if that's what Aeon Nox uses for that bottom scroll, so if AS is getting the artist information and you aren't seeing anything, you'll need to contact the skin developer.