Kodi Community Forum
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) (/showthread.php?tid=124880)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2017-01-26

(2017-01-26, 09:51)style2k Wrote: arnt there more sources to get art from that you can add in the addon to split the load? further if i have setup an amount of images and they are downloaded why should i need to get more , so maybe can it be changed or entred in settings that if you find an set amount of images in the art folder that it doesnt go to download images again? in my case when i have set an amount of images in the settings to lets say 10 fanart backgrounds i dont need to download more i just want the addon to play what is in the local art map..and i think lots of people that dont need dl new and more images all the time when they have some local stored images . that would already be les load on those site right? and yes you can set that you only want to use local images but when some new tracks are added i stil want to download images to fill the art folder 1 time if i have no images yet but doing it once is better then doing it over and over again

In the beginning there were four sources for images: last.fm, htbackdrops, the audiodb, and fanart.tv. Then last.fm stopped providing images via their API to reduce network load. Then htbackdrops went down for quite some time, and when it came back it no longer had API access for anything. So we're down to two, with one offline right now because they don't have money to pay for bandwidth. Anyone else, seeing a pattern? If you don't monetarily support the image sites that make AS possible, they go away. I know of no other sources for images, but if anyone wants to suggest one I can certainly look into it. But I will only add image sources if I have a guarantee from the community that they will give money to support the new sites.

I could implement a max image setting, but theaudiodb only stores three images. So unless I set the max by default to 2 or less, it won't make any difference. A vast majority of artists on fanart.tv have five or six images (or less) so again, your example of 10 (a very reasonable number) would have basically no impact.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - ArsenioW - 2017-01-27

Hello, I´m new to kodi and android tv, I am trying to make artist slideshow work but I´m not able. I have changed the skin to Jarvis Confluence, I´ve tagged some mp3 from my collection with musicbrainz id but it doesn´t work to me. I have loaded my music in kodi, I play a song, go to programs, program add-ons, I pick artist slideshow (2.0.6 version) but doesn´t change, and I see no pictures at all, I don´t know what I´m doing wrong. I don´t know if there´s any guide step-by-step for beginners.
Thank you.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2017-01-27

(2017-01-27, 01:53)ArsenioW Wrote: Hello, I´m new to kodi and android tv, I am trying to make artist slideshow work but I´m not able. I have changed the skin to Jarvis Confluence, I´ve tagged some mp3 from my collection with musicbrainz id but it doesn´t work to me. I have loaded my music in kodi, I play a song, go to programs, program add-ons, I pick artist slideshow (2.0.6 version) but doesn´t change, and I see no pictures at all, I don´t know what I´m doing wrong. I don´t know if there´s any guide step-by-step for beginners.
Thank you.

It might be worth reading through a bit of the AS wiki (link in signature) to get some background on AS. You don't run AS manually, you have to be using a skin that supports AS, and the skin will call it when needed. If you're using the default version of Confluence, it doesn't support AS. So you either need to find a skin that you like that does support AS, or you can use my modified Confluence for Jarvis (again, info on how to get that is on the wiki page).

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - ArsenioW - 2017-01-27

I think I didn't explain myself well, I installed the "Jarvis confluence mode by pkscout" skin, is that the correct one?
Then under system/add-on/homepage programs submenu/Add-on 1 I selected Artist slideshow, but no picture appears while I play my mp3 music.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - meowmoo - 2017-01-27

Go to the home screen and press "back" when playing a mp3, it will show a musicViz screen, and AS will show the artist picture as background

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - hoschilo - 2017-01-27

(2017-01-24, 03:27)pkscout Wrote: I've been thinking some more about the issue of theaudiodb.com going offline due to heavy usage. I want to share my ideas about one way I can address this and get everyone's thoughts on this.

AS is open source software licensed under a GPL license. That means I can't (and don't want to) really charge for it. I'm not even the original author of the script, so keeping it open and available is important to me (and seriously, out of my control). What I can "charge" for is access to me. So I'm thinking about requiring that to get an answer from me on something you must provide me evidence that you are monetarily supporting either fanart.tv or theaudiodb.com (probably via DM). Any amount would get you access to me for 1 year. I'm not going to guarantee any kind of response time or have any kind of contract. I'm doing this in my spare time, and sometimes that means I won't be available. Questions (and their answers) would still be posted here for everyone's edification, and others are welcome to step up and support those who opt to not support one of the two sites.

I'm also hoping the original author and others on the Kodi team might chime in on this. I clearly don't want to do anything contrary to the community norms here. I'm just trying to find a way to encourage people to support the sites that make AS possible. I suspect this will be a pain in the ass and make many people unhappy if I do it, but you'll be equally unhappy when the sites that provide the images are gone too.

Thoughts?

Some thoughts from my side. I’m more or less a newbie in this area so some or even all of my considerations might be wrong:
Kodi along with all those addons and Skins is getting better and better and sometimes I wonder how long it can “survive” independent in this money driven world. This is maybe also valid for community driven sites like TADB, FANART.TV and MUSICBRANZ. However looking at the sponsors situation we can see that attention is already there from some big players.
I have recently donated to all of them, unfortunately not all of them are handling donations in a proper way in order that for the next time I would spend money again without hesitating.

Personally for me best would be if you can buy API at the individual sites in order to access the database. The idea is available at Fanart.TV but it appears only for heavy users…. I guess the handling of such a system would probably end up in even more financial efforts as well maybe there could be possibly a problem with “property rights” of the stuff provided on these sites.

The traffic at least on TADB seems not really be a problem caused by AS if I understood DOCWRA #1901 correctly. I do also believe that the traffic should decrease once the stuff of all of users library stuff is downloaded. I guess it is similar for streaming services however the potential for more traffic is surely bigger there. Personally I do almost only stream – for most of the stuff I’m listening to the artwork is already available on my computer/NAS as I’m listening always similar type of music and therefore artists.

I therefore believe we should first try to minimize unnecessary traffic by downloading already available artwork as suggested by LEETWANKER. I realize that in my case the setting was set to “Remote frist” which is not really required as a lot of stuff already available on my “server”. Now I’m a little confused by the statement that only for "new installs" this would have an effect. If so this should be definitely changed. I don’t know the logic for downloading new pictures (I guess this causes most of the traffic) but for me it would be also fair if the database on the internet for a specific artists is checked only once per month or so if artist is already available locally.

Finally, for me AS and “connected” sites such as TADB and FANART.TV is really value adding for my media center. It would be really a pitty to loose this. I hope more people will be aware of this and would follow the request of PKSCOUT of supporting these sites. Looking at the donors table at FANART.TV I believe there is still a big potential.

I don´t know what I´m doing wrong:
- I have Kodi 16.1
- I have the jarvis confluence mods by pkscout (downloaded from helix or later, repository.skins.pkscout-1.1.0.zip)
- I have Artist Slideshow 2.0.6
- When I go to programs/add-ons, i see artist slideshow, artist slideshow helper and speedfan information display
- If I go to system/settings/add-ons/my add-ons/program add-ons there are artist slideshow, artist slideshow helper and speedfan information display, all enabled.

When I´m playing a mp3 file stored in the hard drive, being in the kodi main page, i press back like you told me, there is the spectrum for a second, disappears, at the bottom there is a cd picture and information on the song, now playing, etc, and that closes in aprox. 15 seconds and then turns back.

I have seen that under system/add-ons/system/running artist slideshow doesn´t appear, I don´t know if it has to.

I have the artist slideshow settings to default. Maybe it has to deal with mp3 tagging issues? I´m lost.

I run kodi in a xiaomi mi box connected with the tv, I don´t know if it is important.

Thank you for your patience.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - spiderlane - 2017-01-27

Hi pkscout,

First of all thanks very much for your add-on. I've been a user for a good while and it's excellent.

Anyway I just wanted to bring up an issue that I've recently encountered, to see if it's expected or known, and to share my workaround.

As we know, the audiodb api is currently unavailable, and since I'm using AS with streaming services (specifically I use AS with the Sonos plugin) I don't have the ability to embed musicbrainz artist IDs in my files. This had been no problem up until now, since AS did a lookup for the MBID from audiodb.

Since that's unavailable I started experimenting with adding "musicbrainz.nfo" files, containing the MBID, into the individual artist directories that the plugin creates. This wasn't working so I did some debugging...

What I noticed was that for the artist ID : 4bd95eea-b9f6-4d70-a36c-cfea77431553, the URL being generated was like this.

Code:
19:04:54.011 T:123145309356032   DEBUG: [Artist Slideshow] the url is: http://webservice.fanart.tv/v3/music/4bd95eea-b9f6-4d70-a36c-cfea77431553%0A?api_key=7a93c84fe1c9999e6f0fec206a66b0f5

Notice the %0A being added after the MBID which is the escaped linefeed character. What appears to be happening is that this call at line 534

Code:
rawdata = readFile( filename )

is returning the contents of the file with a "\n" at the end.

So I made an edit to the default.py adding the following at line 536 to strip this away

Code:
rawdata = rawdata.rstrip('\n')

...and bingo everything starts working as expected. So, I'm a happy man, but aware that might just be a hack. Is this something you've come across before? It would appear that readFile() always adds the "\n" at the end in python (I'm a Java programmer by background and don't have much python experience)

Cheers,
Mark

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2017-01-27

(2017-01-27, 21:52)spiderlane Wrote: Notice the %0A being added after the MBID which is the escaped linefeed character. What appears to be happening is that this call at line 534

Code:
rawdata = readFile( filename )

is returning the contents of the file with a "\n" at the end.

So I made an edit to the default.py adding the following at line 536 to strip this away

Code:
rawdata = rawdata.rstrip('\n')

...and bingo everything starts working as expected. So, I'm a happy man, but aware that might just be a hack. Is this something you've come across before? It would appear that readFile() always adds the "\n" at the end in python (I'm a Java programmer by background and don't have much python experience)

Those musicbrainz.nfo files weren't originally meant to be manually added, so I suspect this has never come up. My bet is it has something to do with the default line ending python uses versus what your specific platform does. Since python was writing the file and then reading it, it never mattered, but with you creating them manually it probably does. Anyway, your solution probably makes the most sense. I'll add that to the AS code (since there's no harm in stripping something that isn't there is most cases). It'll get pushed out whenever I do the next update (which might not be for awhile).

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Rouzax - 2017-01-28

(2017-01-26, 17:25)pkscout Wrote:
(2017-01-26, 09:51)style2k Wrote: arnt there more sources to get art from that you can add in the addon to split the load? further if i have setup an amount of images and they are downloaded why should i need to get more , so maybe can it be changed or entred in settings that if you find an set amount of images in the art folder that it doesnt go to download images again? in my case when i have set an amount of images in the settings to lets say 10 fanart backgrounds i dont need to download more i just want the addon to play what is in the local art map..and i think lots of people that dont need dl new and more images all the time when they have some local stored images . that would already be les load on those site right? and yes you can set that you only want to use local images but when some new tracks are added i stil want to download images to fill the art folder 1 time if i have no images yet but doing it once is better then doing it over and over again

In the beginning there were four sources for images: last.fm, htbackdrops, the audiodb, and fanart.tv. Then last.fm stopped providing images via their API to reduce network load. Then htbackdrops went down for quite some time, and when it came back it no longer had API access for anything. So we're down to two, with one offline right now because they don't have money to pay for bandwidth. Anyone else, seeing a pattern? If you don't monetarily support the image sites that make AS possible, they go away. I know of no other sources for images, but if anyone wants to suggest one I can certainly look into it. But I will only add image sources if I have a guarantee from the community that they will give money to support the new sites.

I could implement a max image setting, but theaudiodb only stores three images. So unless I set the max by default to 2 or less, it won't make any difference. A vast majority of artists on fanart.tv have five or six images (or less) so again, your example of 10 (a very reasonable number) would have basically no impact.
Would it be an idea to have the option to use Google and Flickr?
I know that it would not be a sure fire result but to be honest I would prefer anything above an empty screen Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - spiderlane - 2017-01-28

(2017-01-27, 23:47)pkscout Wrote: Those musicbrainz.nfo files weren't originally meant to be manually added, so I suspect this has never come up. My bet is it has something to do with the default line ending python uses versus what your specific platform does. Since python was writing the file and then reading it, it never mattered, but with you creating them manually it probably does. Anyway, your solution probably makes the most sense. I'll add that to the AS code (since there's no harm in stripping something that isn't there is most cases). It'll get pushed out whenever I do the next update (which might not be for awhile).

Makes sense. And thanks for agreeing to update. Really appreciate it.

I might look to add a file based look up of artist name -> MBID which I can maintain in a single file somewhere to save having to rely upon theaudiodb for determining MBID from artist name when using streaming.

Cheers,
Mark

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2017-01-28

(2017-01-28, 15:00)Rouzax Wrote: Would it be an idea to have the option to use Google and Flickr?
I know that it would not be a sure fire result but to be honest I would prefer anything above an empty screen Smile

Neither Google nor Flickr have an API for image search. If you want to search those sites manually and download the images, that would certainly work. As to something versus nothing, I think it's much better to return actual images of the artist than random images that might be the artist.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2017-01-28

(2017-01-28, 18:21)spiderlane Wrote: I might look to add a file based look up of artist name -> MBID which I can maintain in a single file somewhere to save having to rely upon theaudiodb for determining MBID from artist name when using streaming.

An older version of AS had this, but it was very API intensive to make sure you had the correct artist (each check took somewhere around 10 - 15 API calls and often 30 seconds or more). I dropped it because it was putting too much load on the musicbrainz servers. The big problem is that musicbrianz returns a list of artists that are even just close to the name you use, so you have to double check by album and/or song playing. I found about half the time the first artist in the list wasn't the artist I wanted.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - spiderlane - 2017-01-28

Ah, I think I must have misunderstood how it works - doesn't it look for an MBID tag in the playing file first and then if it doesn't find one, look for a musicbrainz.nfo file and if it doesn't find that does a lookup at theaudiodb to see if it can find an MBID for the artist name?

(2017-01-28, 19:09)spiderlane Wrote: Ah, I think I must have misunderstood how it works - doesn't it look for an MBID tag in the playing file first and then if it doesn't find one, look for a musicbrainz.nfo file and if it doesn't find that does a lookup at theaudiodb to see if it can find an MBID for the artist name?

Here's the order:

Ask Kodi for the MBID (i.e. tagged in the music).
If no MBID is found, try and get file from theaudiodb (or use the existing one) and use the MBID from there.
I no MBID is found, check the musicbrainz.nfo file to see if there is one there.