Kodi Community Forum
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) (/showthread.php?tid=124880)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - yhwman - 2013-06-08

(2013-06-04, 00:47)pkscuot Wrote: This add-on was never meant to be an artwork downloader. There are add-ons (like one called Artwork Downloader) available if you want to collect and download artwork. On a more technical level, items downloaded to the local images directory are excluded from the cache manager (meaning they will never be deleted). I really don't want to stick lots of stuff in a place that I'm not managing for space, so that's why if no existing local images are found the images get stored in the default location. Also, stuff in the default location is stored using hashes of the artist name. I didn't want those polluting someone's artist directory, and I didn't want to have to deal with creating directories with special characters that the various file systems don't allow.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the answer. I've got a follow on question - if a user has high res, 16:9 pictures in extrafanart (maybe on a read only network share) that they use as menu backdrops - is it possible to configure Artist Slideshow to use these pictures and then also use downloaded not-so-high res pictures of variable aspect ratios without saving them to the local image folder (and so avoiding them being used as backdrops)?

Oh and something else I've noticed with last.fm pictures whilst trying to work out what to set the minimum height configuration to. For artists with large amounts of pics (eg Beck) I found a high setting useful to exclude low res pics, but for more obscure artists (eg Mansun) I wanted to specify a lower setting as a high setting tended to leave me with only a few pictures, or sometimes non at all. Would something like being able to independently specify minimum dimensions for artists with less than X pictures from those with greater than X pictures be useful, or maybe downloading pictures in descending order of size?

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-06-08

(2013-06-08, 01:17)yhwman Wrote: if a user has high res, 16:9 pictures in extrafanart (maybe on a read only network share) that they use as menu backdrops - is it possible to configure Artist Slideshow to use these pictures and then also use downloaded not-so-high res pictures of variable aspect ratios without saving them to the local image folder (and so avoiding them being used as backdrops)?

I'm afraid not. ArtistSlideshow basically tells the skin to display a given folder of images at a particular time, so all the images to be displayed have to be in the same folder.

Quote:Oh and something else I've noticed with last.fm pictures whilst trying to work out what to set the minimum height configuration to. For artists with large amounts of pics (eg Beck) I found a high setting useful to exclude low res pics, but for more obscure artists (eg Mansun) I wanted to specify a lower setting as a high setting tended to leave me with only a few pictures, or sometimes non at all. Would something like being able to independently specify minimum dimensions for artists with less than X pictures from those with greater than X pictures be useful, or maybe downloading pictures in descending order of size?

That would likely require some major overhaul to the settings UI or a text file of some kind to set that, and that's more complication then I want to add to AS. If you want to manage your artwork to that level of detail, I'd recommend downloading all your own art, filter it to your specifications, and then have AS use only local artwork.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-06-09

Just an FYI. It looks like htbackdrops.com may be gone. I checked the thread, and about a month ago it stopped responding for some folks and today when I checked I got a "site suspended" page from hostgator. I don't know if they're moving providers and are in the middle of a DNS change, but I won't be surprised if it just died a quiet death.

Unfortunately that leaves AS with only one remote image source, Last.fm. I know that is less than ideal, but all the other services I'd like to implement require the MusicBrainz ID, and right now XBMC doesn't fully support the storing of that ID. I may go ahead and try and figure out how to get the ID using an artist's name and then cache it somewhere. We'll see.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-06-10

There's a new 1.5.1 beta available. This one (hopefully) fixes the unicode issues. If it doesn't, I think I will poke my eyes out. It also has updated language files from Transifex, and I've switched over to the Frodo .po files as well. Lastly, I fixed the file checking so it's case insensitive. For completeness I've listed of all the changes since 1.5.0 at the end of this post.

You can get the new beta at: https://github.com/pkscout/script.artistslideshow/archive/master.zip

At this point I believe this cleans up all the bugs and outstanding requests not related to image download sources. I'm going to leave 1.5.1 in test mode for another week and then (barring any issues) release it.

While I'm waiting for bug reports on 1.5.1 I'm going to start working on 1.5.3, which will mostly be adding support for theaudiodb.com and fanart.tv.

v.1.5.1
- added ability to parse multiple featured artists from title of song
- fixed bug on Windows where once override or fallback were set they could not be unset
- updated artist bio infolabel to filter out link to READ MORE on last.fm
- changed to using JSON call to get artist array from XBMC rather than manually splitting
- (hopefully) fixed unicode support
- fixed issue where files ending with capitalized extensions were ignored
- fixed issue where artist bio not downloaded when using override image directory
- updated language files from Transifex
- changed over to Frodo .po language files
- updated addon.xml with new information and format for repo database

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - cw-kid - 2013-06-10

Pkscout

Thank for your continued work on this add-on!

I just un-installed AS and installed the v.1.5.1 and rebooted.

As previously reported I still get a script failed message when playing tracks by the artist Sigur Rós, which was a unicode issue.

Also regarding the other exception crashes that happen sometimes when playback stops or playback of something else starts, I found if I set the AS settings back to default these crashes would happen much less often.

The options that I turned on in the AS settings were:

Download images from HTBackdrops.com
Download additional artist information

I know HTBackdrops.com has recently gone down. But prior to that I think, turning off these two options would vastly reduce the number of times the add-on would crash when stopping or starting playback etc.

Cheers

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-06-11

(2013-06-10, 11:32)cw-kid Wrote: As previously reported I still get a script failed message when playing tracks by the artist Sigur Rós, which was a unicode issue.

That's it. I'm poking an eye out when I get home. Big Grin

Could you post a new debug log? That way the line numbers in default.py will match the code I have.

Quote:Also regarding the other exception crashes that happen sometimes when playback stops or playback of something else starts, I found if I set the AS settings back to default these crashes would happen much less often.

I know HTBackdrops.com has recently gone down. But prior to that I think, turning off these two options would vastly reduce the number of times the add-on would crash when stopping or starting playback etc.

Both of these options require something to be downloaded from the internet. That chuck of code has remained unaltered since before I took over maintenance on this addon, and I really haven't gotten any other folks reporting crashes when using those options. I'll keep digging, but I'm wondering if you have an internet connection that is causing timeouts or something with the download mechanism from which python isn't able to recover.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - cw-kid - 2013-06-11

(2013-06-11, 04:04)pkscuot Wrote:
(2013-06-10, 11:32)cw-kid Wrote: As previously reported I still get a script failed message when playing tracks by the artist Sigur Rós, which was a unicode issue.

That's it. I'm poking an eye out when I get home. Big Grin

Could you post a new debug log? That way the line numbers in default.py will match the code I have.

Quote:Also regarding the other exception crashes that happen sometimes when playback stops or playback of something else starts, I found if I set the AS settings back to default these crashes would happen much less often.

Both of these options require something to be downloaded from the internet. That chuck of code has remained unaltered since before I took over maintenance on this addon, and I really haven't gotten any other folks reporting crashes when using those options. I'll keep digging, but I'm wondering if you have an internet connection that is causing timeouts or something with the download mechanism from which python isn't able to recover.

Hi

I'll try and post a log file later today.

My Internet connection should be ok it's a 60meg fibre connection but who knows.

Cheers

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - cw-kid - 2013-06-11

This log file is whilst playing a Sigur Rós track with the unicode issue:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=26971

Code:
09:21:19 T:140120347375360   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf3' in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 782, in <module>
                                                slideshow = Main()
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 133, in __init__
                                                self._use_correct_artwork()
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 170, in _use_correct_artwork
                                                log('current artist is %s' % artist.decode("utf-8"))
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
                                                return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
                                            UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf3' in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
09:21:20 T:140122265364352   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogKaiToast.xml) ------
09:21:20 T:140120347375360    INFO: Python script stopped
09:21:20 T:140120347375360   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread 140120347375360 terminating
09:21:20 T:140122265364352   DEBUG: waiting for python thread 8 (/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py) to stop
09:21:20 T:140122265364352   DEBUG: python thread 8 (/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py) destructed

This log is whilst playing a music track by the artist Seal and then attempting to start playback of a live TV channel:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=26974

Code:
09:44:22 T:140180259456768   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.KeyError'>
                                            Error Contents: ('artist',)
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 782, in <module>
                                                slideshow = Main()
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 133, in __init__
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 192, in _use_correct_artwork
                                                self._start_download()
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 403, in _start_download
                                                self._wait( min_refresh - (wait_elapsed % min_refresh) )
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 455, in _wait
                                                if( self._playback_stopped_or_changed() ):
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 514, in _playback_stopped_or_changed
                                                if ( set(self.ALLARTISTS) <> set(self._get_current_artist()) or self.EXTERNALCALLSTATUS != xbmc.getInfoLabel(self.EXTERNALCALL) ):
                                              File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow-master/default.py", line 493, in _get_current_artist
                                                artists = json.loads(response)['result']['item']['artist']
                                            KeyError: ('artist',)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-06-11

OK, let's try this again. I'm pretty sure I've fixed all the unicode errors. I even copied one of my MP3s and renamed it so it looked like a song from the Sigur Rós album Von and then tested the crap out of it.

Also, I think I found what might be causing the error when you start a TV show while music is playing. I can't test it here, as with my skin you have to exit the fullscreen music display (which stops AS) before you can start a TV Show.

https://github.com/pkscout/script.artistslideshow/archive/master.zip

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - puntloos - 2013-06-11

Sorry if this has been asked 1230948130298 times but this is a massive thread:

- Artist Slideshow (used as the background of my Aeon Nox home screen) does not seem to scale images, so if it accidentally finds images larger than 1080p I only see the artist's forehead or something. Seems to obvious that it hasn't been fixed yet (or intended.... ?)

Help?

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - cw-kid - 2013-06-12

(2013-06-11, 19:36)pkscuot Wrote: OK, let's try this again. I'm pretty sure I've fixed all the unicode errors. I even copied one of my MP3s and renamed it so it looked like a song from the Sigur Rós album Von and then tested the crap out of it.

Also, I think I found what might be causing the error when you start a TV show while music is playing. I can't test it here, as with my skin you have to exit the fullscreen music display (which stops AS) before you can start a TV Show.

https://github.com/pkscout/script.artistslideshow/archive/master.zip

I just installed the version of the add-on from your link on a Windows 7 laptop running XBMC v12.2.

I uninstalled the add-on first from XBMC and even deleted the AS folder under addon_data and then installed it etc.

Tried playing a track from the Sigur Ros album Von and one from the album called ()

both times when the music started I then got a script failed error for AS and no artist slide show images appearing.

Will try and install this add-on version on the main Linux HTPC tomorrow see what happens? I am using the Aeon MQ4 skin btw.

Cheers

Pkscuot

If you would like to remote on to one of my machines sometime to take a look we can use Teamviewer if that would help any?

Thanks

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-06-12

(2013-06-11, 22:38)puntloos Wrote: Sorry if this has been asked 1230948130298 times but this is a massive thread:

- Artist Slideshow (used as the background of my Aeon Nox home screen) does not seem to scale images, so if it accidentally finds images larger than 1080p I only see the artist's forehead or something. Seems to obvious that it hasn't been fixed yet (or intended.... ?)

Help?

Whether the images are scaled or not is a skin display decision. You're probably better off asking in the Aeon Nox thread (assuming there is one somewhere).

(2013-06-12, 01:51)cw-kid Wrote: I just installed the version of the add-on from your link on a Windows 7 laptop running XBMC v12.2.

Tried playing a track from the Sigur Ros album Von and one from the album called ()

both times when the music started I then got a script failed error for AS and no artist slide show images appearing.

A remote view won't really help much. I need the debug log and error.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - cw-kid - 2013-06-12

Debug from this Win7 laptop

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=27227

Code:
01:11:01 T:4908   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf3' in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)
                                              File "C:\Users\Stuart\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow-master\default.py", line 782, in <module>
                                                slideshow = Main()
                                              File "C:\Users\Stuart\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow-master\default.py", line 142, in __init__
                                              File "C:\Users\Stuart\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow-master\default.py", line 170, in _use_correct_artwork
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\encodings\utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
                                                return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
                                            UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf3' in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)

I played this track: smb://WHS/Music/Sigur Rós/Von/02 - Sigur Rós - Dögun.mp3

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-06-12

I'm not sure why, but you are not getting the current 1.5.1 beta. Those line numbers don't match up with what I have. The line in question:
Code:
is showing as follows in my master:
Code:
log('current artist is %s' % artist)
That works as I am now properly handling the UTF8 stuff the way the xmbc wiki recommends (i.e. right before the log line is written). So until we can figure out why you aren't getting the same code out of github that I'm seeing, we can't really test anything else. For reference, in the correct code base _use_correct_artwork starts on line 191.

If we keep having this problem, I'm going to have to start itterating version numbers differently during testing to make sure this doesn't continue being an issue.