Kodi Community Forum
Release Universal Scraper for Music Artists - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Information Providers (scrapers) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=147)
+----- Forum: Music Scrapers (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=303)
+----- Thread: Release Universal Scraper for Music Artists (/showthread.php?tid=132623)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - capfuturo - 2013-03-09

What's next then?

By reading zag's commentaries, and then olympia's, I can see why it is so fundamental to have a source of information with a specific structure that allows for the most efficient scraping; the data itemised and just right, set with a high degree of order. Of course that order obeys to the purpose of scraping the source efficiently and effectively for XBMC to work by minimum standards that could keep us all satisfied. I can see Wikipedia's structure obeys to a different purpose, for being scraped with "the eyes". Then, every time the human factor is in the equation, we get into a very subjective arena that talks about "what pleases me might not please you", which is also a respectable principle fundamental to our world. We are not going to stop protecting these principles and maintaining such an important source, simply because there is another database with a higher order in its structure for similar content. There are different interests, and users and approaches consuming information here: many people need direct access to data not via a media centre's synthetic interface, but via browsing in more analytic and explanatory ways for reference, studies, publications, business, etc... and these people could need much more data than a highly-designed, function-oriented source, such as AudioDB, could possibly offer. That is the Wiki for, and yes, I can see how its state of lower order reflects just the purpose it was conceive for, and furthermore, maybe just the very nature of the world we live in. Massive amounts of information on a particular artist or subject can be appended randomly, on and on, which is highly appreciated, however, I realise this is not suitable for a scrape-able source such as AudioDB, which must rely on a different way to present the information that just matters to us, for obvious reasons. Two similar initiatives for data reference that can complement each other, but they still stand independently due to their purposes, reason powerful enough for me now to support both.

Zag already realised the potential of embedding an URL link to a source like Wikipedia that we can consult from within XBMC if we have the need to "scrape with the eyes". It could certainly provide XBMC with a unprecedented "reaching hand" within its environment so the whole experience wouldn't get broken/interrupted by having to leave the UI to search for this kind of additional info, just as the upcoming shows functionality could provide also. We have this amazing system call XBMC, now, what can we build on top of it that really sends a strong signal of simplicity and efficiency at getting our entertainment and intellectual needs manifested, not just at the comfort of our couch, but on our daily activities into the physical world. We all, who enjoy consuming visual and sound material in the form of CD, DVD or Blu-Ray, regularly buy tickets for all sorts of shows and performing arts from ballet, opera, music concerts to theatre and musicals. The list is long, and certainly there is a way waiting to be found and implemented by stages, so we can follow up what we have on our music and video library into the real world. If XBMC users bought tickets for their favourite shows at online ticket offices, that were referred or linked from within their XBMC platforms, we would all be doing a fantastic contribution to keep financing the maintenance and further development of the XBMC platform beyond ordinary donations. In my personal case, I am attending 12 different shows in the next 2 months comprising mainly ballets, operas and musicals that are taking place at Sadler's Wells, ROH, ENB (Coliseum) and theatres in the West End in London, UK. For every one of the companies (artists) performing or specific piece being performed, I have BDs or DVDs in my XBMC. If I had a way to look up the upcoming shows for the artists/performers appearing on a particular film I am watching or album I am listening to, or when the next shows for that particular artistic creation I am watching/listening to are, within my geographical zone, regardless of what artist is performing the particular recording I own, and then link them to an online few-steps ticketing service from within XBMC, I would get my tickets via XBMC without doubt. I would be making my life much easier as well as giving a little something in return to our XBMC community. Now, how many of us are distributed across the world with same needs? Think of that.

I encourage you all to think about what has been presented here, and as Zag says, what ideas could be worth considering to implement where and how do we show this information. How can we build this up in the most sensible and simplest way that could, in time, provide a real solution and not just a frustrated attempt to. Any follow up to what patrickvogeli points out, regarding the best way being via plugin implementation? What options could be considered for linking this proposed database of upcoming shows to their proper ticketing gateways (e.g. ticketmaster) with a simple but powerful XBMC screen interface?

Happy weekend to everybody! CF

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - dugan26 - 2013-03-09

Hello all-

'been using xbmc for quite some time now and loving it - just recently started putting my music on it - (fantastic by the way) I do have some issues with some artists fanart working. Am hoping someone can shed some light on my issue ....

Most fanart is scraped but a few artists i get no fanart - mainly "foreign artists, soundtracks and local bands" which i have placed fanart.jpg (pics) in the artist folder and in the actual album folder.

My folders are all like this:

artist / fanart.jpg
album1/ fanart.jpg / folder.jpg
album2 / fanart.jpg / folder.jpg

artist 2
album 1
album 2

I also tried making a .nfo file with no luck
.nfo file i labeled first as the name of the artist.nfo then tried artist.nfo again no luck

So over all can someone explain how to over ride a blank fanart space and (or) a scraped fanart whcih i want to change.

Oh yea i also tried hitting C and saying get fanart - no luck

XBMC eden Windows7

To all who work on this project .... Bravo!!!

Doesn't work at all - LastCoder - 2013-03-10

Hi,

I'm using Frodo with USMA from Repo and tried to get artist information. I tried every single option, but I don't get any Artist information. It doesn't know Rammstein, nor Depeche Mode nor Bands like Children of Bodom or Sabaton .. neither in german nor in english ..

I don't get any error message, simply the scan is done in less a minute without any information.

What I'm doing wrong ?

Greetz

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - dugan26 - 2013-03-11

in regards to my prev post - i have attached a log ... can someone take a look? let me know why i am not getting fanart for this ? I have a bunch of "Original Soundtrack" type material - i can seem to get any fanart for them.

Down the log you will see i choose an album from Madonna works fine - then soundtrack artist Infant Sorrow will not show fanart - although i have fanart.jpg in the folder

Many thanks in advance ...

http://pastebin.com/Dmzqba6B

Also not sure if im doing this right ... i tried to create a .nfo file - can someone confirm this is correct?

<artist>
<name>Infant Sorrow</name>
<fanart>T:\Infant Sorrow\fanart.jpg </fanart>
</artist>

One thing i just noticed - in the thumbnails\music\fanart folder: when i go to artist info (I button) get fanart browse to pic select it etc ... after that i see that pic in the fanart folder with a value of "ffffffff.tbn" ... im assuming this is no good?

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - dugan26 - 2013-03-11

(2013-02-20, 00:10)cw-kid Wrote: I used the browse button and added the background image against the Aswad artist. However looking on a second XBMC PC the background image is not showing on that PC like it is the first one.

Thanks

EDIT:

I found my Aswad background image on the first PC, it has been cached in to the folder:

C:\Users\Stuart\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\e

So if you have multiple XBMC PCs, you have to upload the image to each of them ? Using the browse button in the Artist Information area ?

Hello -
How did you browse to AppData inside XBMC? mine does not see it - did you have to do something special to see the folder? are you on Win7 ?

Never mind i found it - you need to browse to Home Folder etc ....

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - cw-kid - 2013-03-11

(2013-03-11, 17:48)dugan26 Wrote:
(2013-02-20, 00:10)cw-kid Wrote: I used the browse button and added the background image against the Aswad artist. However looking on a second XBMC PC the background image is not showing on that PC like it is the first one.

Thanks

EDIT:

I found my Aswad background image on the first PC, it has been cached in to the folder:

C:\Users\Stuart\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\e

So if you have multiple XBMC PCs, you have to upload the image to each of them ? Using the browse button in the Artist Information area ?

Hello -
How did you browse to AppData inside XBMC? mine does not see it - did you have to do something special to see the folder? are you on Win7 ?

Never mind i found it - you need to browse to Home Folder etc ....

No you read that wrong. The artwork image file was probably on my WHS server in the artists folder. I then used the browse button in the XBMC UI to select that artwork for the background.

I then later noted that the artwork image had been cached by XBMC in to the local folder C:\Users\Stuart\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\e on the XBMC PC. Yes its Windows 7 on that machine I was talking about.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - aptalca - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-05, 00:27)n1md4 Wrote:
(2013-03-04, 23:31)aptalca Wrote:
(2012-11-14, 04:29)aptalca Wrote: Hi olympia,

I have a rather unusual issue. I am trying to add the artist Kitaro to the library. However, the dude is Japanese :-) and his name on MusicBrainz is a couple of Japanese characters. The sort name on MusicBrainz shows it as Kitaro, but the scraper doesn't retrieve anything.

Any ideas??

Thanks

EDIT: I also cannot enter the name manually as I don't have Japanese character input. Even if I did, I wouldn't even know which characters to put in really (other than maybe copy and paste :-)

Hi olympia,

I had asked this question a while back, but it got lost in the thread without an answer

I would like to bring it up again since I still don't have a solution for scraping Kitaro. I get a blank fanart, blank poster and no info

Here is the musicbrainz search, you can see that the actual name is japanese characters, but the sort name is "Kitaro": http://musicbrainz.org/search?query=kitaro&type=artist&method=indexed

The search/match score is 100%

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure how the scraper works, I think the artist must exist on Musicbrainz, you found that - check! But the scraping happens (I think) against theaudiodb.com , the record for 喜多郎 did not exist. I have created this for you (I was feeling generous - it might have been beer induced ; ) it should now scrape correctly - touch wood!

99% of the time, should an artist not scrape, check first it exists on theaudiodb.com , using the name that matches musicbrainz. If you have more, you are welcome to create accounts on these sites, and get a nice community collection of metadata Smile

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Unfortunately, still no go

I also added the specific albums to the audiodb.org and still no scrape of the artist (or the album for that matter) when I try a refresh on the album it keeps asking for the name of the album and then the name of the artist, over and over

Then I tried album.nfo with a link to the theaudiodb.org page of the album. It doesn't ask me to enter the album name or the artist name, but also does not scrape any info for the artist either

(2013-03-05, 12:44)olympia Wrote:
(2013-03-04, 23:31)aptalca Wrote:
(2012-11-14, 04:29)aptalca Wrote: Hi olympia,

I have a rather unusual issue. I am trying to add the artist Kitaro to the library. However, the dude is Japanese :-) and his name on MusicBrainz is a couple of Japanese characters. The sort name on MusicBrainz shows it as Kitaro, but the scraper doesn't retrieve anything.

Any ideas??

Thanks

EDIT: I also cannot enter the name manually as I don't have Japanese character input. Even if I did, I wouldn't even know which characters to put in really (other than maybe copy and paste :-)

Hi olympia,

I had asked this question a while back, but it got lost in the thread without an answer

I would like to bring it up again since I still don't have a solution for scraping Kitaro. I get a blank fanart, blank poster and no info

Here is the musicbrainz search, you can see that the actual name is japanese characters, but the sort name is "Kitaro": http://musicbrainz.org/search?query=kitaro&type=artist&method=indexed

Thanks

you can always include the musicbrainz link to the artist in an artist.nfo to create a one to one link with the desired artist in case of such issues.

olympia, I tried putting the artist.nfo with a link to the musicbrainz page, but did not make a difference. I do not have any artist folders. Everything is in album folders under music. I tried putting it in the album folders.

EDIT:

Just noticed that the wiki suggests artist.nfo assumes an artist/album structure
I moved the album folders into a "Kitaro" folder, and put the artist.nfo inside of it, voila it worked
Thanks a lot

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - dugan26 - 2013-03-14

(2013-03-11, 16:20)dugan26 Wrote: in regards to my prev post - i have attached a log ... can someone take a look? let me know why i am not getting fanart for this ? I have a bunch of "Original Soundtrack" type material - i can seem to get any fanart for them.

Down the log you will see i choose an album from Madonna works fine - then soundtrack artist Infant Sorrow will not show fanart - although i have fanart.jpg in the folder

Many thanks in advance ...

http://pastebin.com/Dmzqba6B

Also not sure if im doing this right ... i tried to create a .nfo file - can someone confirm this is correct?

<artist>
<name>Infant Sorrow</name>
<fanart>T:\Infant Sorrow\fanart.jpg </fanart>
</artist>

One thing i just noticed - in the thumbnails\music\fanart folder: when i go to artist info (I button) get fanart browse to pic select it etc ... after that i see that pic in the fanart folder with a value of "ffffffff.tbn" ... im assuming this is no good?

(2013-03-13, 06:48)aptalca Wrote:
(2013-03-05, 00:27)n1md4 Wrote:
(2013-03-04, 23:31)aptalca Wrote: Hi olympia,

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure how the scraper works, I think the artist must exist on Musicbrainz, you found that - check! But the scraping happens (I think) against theaudiodb.com , the record for 喜多郎 did not exist. I have created this for you (I was feeling generous - it might have been beer induced ; ) it should now scrape correctly - touch wood!

99% of the time, should an artist not scrape, check first it exists on theaudiodb.com , using the name that matches musicbrainz. If you have more, you are welcome to create accounts on these sites, and get a nice community collection of metadata Smile

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Unfortunately, still no go

I also added the specific albums to the audiodb.org and still no scrape of the artist (or the album for that matter) when I try a refresh on the album it keeps asking for the name of the album and then the name of the artist, over and over

Then I tried album.nfo with a link to the theaudiodb.org page of the album. It doesn't ask me to enter the album name or the artist name, but also does not scrape any info for the artist either

(2013-03-05, 12:44)olympia Wrote:
(2013-03-04, 23:31)aptalca Wrote: Hi olympia,

Thanks

you can always include the musicbrainz link to the artist in an artist.nfo to create a one to one link with the desired artist in case of such issues.

olympia, I tried putting the artist.nfo with a link to the musicbrainz page, but did not make a difference. I do not have any artist folders. Everything is in album folders under music. I tried putting it in the album folders.

EDIT:

Just noticed that the wiki suggests artist.nfo assumes an artist/album structure
I moved the album folders into a "Kitaro" folder, and put the artist.nfo inside of it, voila it worked
Thanks a lot

can you provide a sample of the txt inside your artist.nfo
greatly appreciated - having same issue similar

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - olympia - 2013-03-14

You only need to add the musicbrainz link to the musicbrainz artist page.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - Cryptic1 - 2013-03-16

Finally finished tagging my entire collection with Musicbrainz Picard. Whew! That has fixed most of my scraping issues, but still have some weird results. Blind Faith returns with Blind Faith and Envy thumbnail and bio. Blind Faith are on all the appropriate sites. I've even tried different versions of tags for that album from Musicbrainz but get the same results. Any suggestions?
Also, I can't figure out how to manually re-scrape with Aeon Nox. I see the menu to change the scraper, is that it? I know at one point I got a menu that let me select the artist results from a list, but I can't seem to find it again.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - aptalca - 2013-03-18

(2013-03-14, 19:13)dugan26 Wrote: can you provide a sample of the txt inside your artist.nfo
greatly appreciated - having same issue similar

Here is the content:

Code:
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/f3d8c154-208d-4efa-b52d-7e9f16adcdae

Literally just the link, no formatting, no tags, nothing else

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - dugan26 - 2013-03-19

thank you

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - n1md4 - 2013-03-20

(2013-03-16, 11:21)Cryptic1 Wrote: Also, I can't figure out how to manually re-scrape with Aeon Nox. I see the menu to change the scraper, is that it? I know at one point I got a menu that let me select the artist results from a list, but I can't seem to find it again.

If by manually re-scrape you mean on a per artist basis, then this might help http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132623&pid=1324467#pid1324467

Otherwise, entering your music collection and pressing 'm' (I think) to bring up the options menu, there is an Update Library option there.

I hope that helps.

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - mystiqu - 2013-03-27

Hi

Is there any way to create own .nfo files with information about album and artist, like you can do for a movie?
I've seen some talk about it but no examples.
I have created two files (album.nfo and artist.nfo) with the following information (but it does not seem to do the trick):

album.nfo
Code:
<album>
    <title>20th Anniversary</title>
    <sorttitle>20th Anniversary</sorttitle>
</album>
http://www.theaudiodb.com/album/2137814

artist.nfo
Code:
<artist>
    <name>Cafe Del Mar</name>
    <fanart></fanart>
</artist>

Regards,
Mikael

RE: [Release] Universal Scraper for Music Artists - Martijn - 2013-03-27

(2013-03-27, 18:37)mystiqu Wrote: Hi

Is there any way to create own .nfo files with information about album and artist, like you can do for a movie?
I've seen some talk about it but no examples.
I have created two files (album.nfo and artist.nfo) with the following information (but it does not seem to do the trick):

Regards,
Mikael

ever tried searching on the wiki perhaps?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files/music