Kodi Community Forum
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions (/showthread.php?tid=157563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - mahockey - 2013-04-14

(2013-04-13, 02:27)abhigarg6 Wrote: Hello everyone,

I have also bought celeron model Q190. configured xbmc on windows 8 and everything is running pretty sweet. I have attached my computer creative speakers to Q190. How should I setup my audio settings in order to have sound coming from both hdmi (samsung plasma) and my speakers (3.5 mm jack computer speakers). I am able to get sound only from TV or speakers currently.

EDIT: Also I am not able to play any of HD content from my NAS. I am using wifi network and not hardwired. disabled DXVA and tried few settings still no improvements. my raspi was streaming all HD efficiently. is there any setting I can made otherwise it would be a total disappointment.

delete the guisettings.xml and see if this helps, but be aware it will also delete any other GUI settings you may have set.

This thread might help as well ; http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - JesusOnEez - 2013-04-15

(2013-04-13, 06:36)war6765 Wrote: just got mines in today. Installed xbmc on windows 8. Everthing works great. Now just looking for a program to change the shell from windows to xbmc to give it more of a media player feel. Has anyone tried installing an xbmc shell for the q190. I'm going to try "xbmclaucher", it looks pretty stable. Will let u know how it goes.

I'm planning on implementing XBMCLauncher as well as I don't like the fact that SickBeard/CP/SAB takes focus away from XBMC when the Lenovo starts up (also need to get it to start to the Desktop instead of Metro). XBMCLauncher can make sure the focus stays with XBMC and sounds like just the job. I do want WIndows accessible as it's handy to grab my wireless keyboard for a quick internet browse (and for checking SAB etc) so I don't want to go the XBMC as shell route.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - brownn - 2013-04-15

Im sending my celeron Q190 back tomorrow.

- The fan was far too noisy for a media centre pc
- The variants of linux and OpenElec wouldnt support the wireless connection
- Lenovo provide Windows 7 drivers, but the USB3 ports and the LAN card show in device manager with an ! next to them, tried everything to get them working to no avail. Cant comment on how it works with Windows 8 as I dont own or plan to own any licenses.

It has some potential but needs better driver support.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - JesusOnEez - 2013-04-15

(2013-04-15, 13:04)brownn Wrote: Im sending my celeron Q190 back tomorrow.

- Lenovo provide Windows 7 drivers, but the USB3 ports and the LAN card show in device manager with an ! next to them, tried everything to get them working to no avail. Cant comment on how it works with Windows 8 as I dont own or plan to own any licenses.

Aaah, that's a shame. I am using Windows 8 and all seems well. I don't use the wireless as I'm on a wired network, but it shows as up and running in Device Manager. As for the fan speed, maybe I'm tuned out to it but it doesn't bother me, and I know someone else on this forum has succesfully used a third party bit of software to reduce the fan speed from I believe the default 4K to 2K which as he's said, is inaudible to his ears.

If on the other hand OpenElec is what you're after and there's no driver support for wireless, then I guess it's not the system for you. I think the similarly priced Acer Revo may have the same issues since it's the same chipset.

So, you're essentially sending it back because you don't want to use Windows 8?

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - syphermode - 2013-04-15

(2013-04-15, 13:04)brownn Wrote: Im sending my celeron Q190 back tomorrow.

Not being rude But you clearly have done little or no research... Im running windows 7 and yes lan and usb 3 not working quick check on google and here they are http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/Q190-Windows-7-drivers-don-t-work/td-p/1037303 all the drivers posted for you

Secondly the fan can be controlled via speedfan if you set it to 45% it is pretty much silent

Mine runs perfect on win7 and have dual boot running so happy days.. Try a bit more research

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - brownn - 2013-04-15

(2013-04-15, 21:21)syphermode Wrote: Not being rude But you clearly have done little or no research... Im running windows 7 and yes lan and usb 3 not working quick check on google and here they are http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/Q190-Windows-7-drivers-don-t-work/td-p/1037303 all the drivers posted for you

Secondly the fan can be controlled via speedfan if you set it to 45% it is pretty much silent

Mine runs perfect on win7 and have dual boot running so happy days.. Try a bit more research

Hi syphermode - Windows 7 was a compromise for me - I wanted to run on either OpenElec/XBMCuntu/vanilla ubuntu. I spent most of the weekend tinkering around with this trying to compile drivers for ubuntu etc to no avail and finally gave in to try WIndows 7. While I did do a lot of reading, I did not happen to stumble upon the link you provided - but that doesn't mean I did little or no research, so a bit insulted by that comment to be fair.

I could of gone as far as using a USB wifi adapter for Linux but I didnt want this - I bought the system with certain expectations - all in one, and for me, it didn't fit those expectations, hence it goes back. Im sure for some people it will fit their needs - but for mine it didnt, and its as simple as that.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - idlerobbo - 2013-04-16

Just on the flip side I thought I would drop in that over a month since my purchase i'm as happy as it gets with my purchase of this unit!

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - jbauer - 2013-04-16

I want to get one, but keep missing the great deals. When they come up again, can someone please post a note here, on this thread?

- Thanx
- Jon

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - Trooperlooper - 2013-04-16

An update on where I am with this little box.

Dropping the fan speed down to 2k was just a bit too low in the end, temps crept up to 72C which is still within tolerances but a bit too high for me. I've ramped up to 2600rpm and it is better. It isn't completely silent, but it is quieter than the fans in my plasma Smile

I can't get speedfan to autorun on startup with Windows 8. No idea why. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, were it not for the stuttering bug in XBMC. If you want perfectly smooth playback, you need to restart xbmc every other day or so as otherwise it starts to stutter. It's a weird bug, as the devs say they can't reproduce it, yet it has happened on every build of xbmc i've ever tried on every hardware i've had. It's a very subtle judder though, so I suspect there are a fair number of people who just can't see it, for whatever reason.
Anyway, I was hoping this little box wouldn't have that bug in it, but it does. I'm going to do some investigation into the most convenient way of restarting xbmc without rebooting the whole box each time. Currently I shut down xbmc, pick up my remote with the mouse pointer on it and use that to click the xbmc icon to restart it. There must be a way I can automate that Big Grin

I run with DXVA2 turned on, as 1080p content judders a bit when there are fast scene changes when it is turned off. A good test for this is the start of Contact and you are zooming through space, try it with DXVA2 turned on and off and you should notice a difference, but again it is relatively subtle, so maybe only really picky people can see it Smile

The actual Q190 itself is excellent, by the way. As always it is the software that lets down a HTPC in a small way.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - JesusOnEez - 2013-04-16

(2013-04-16, 09:17)Trooperlooper Wrote: Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, were it not for the stuttering bug in XBMC. If you want perfectly smooth playback, you need to restart xbmc every other day or so as otherwise it starts to stutter. It's a weird bug, as the devs say they can't reproduce it, yet it has happened on every build of xbmc i've ever tried on every hardware i've had. It's a very subtle judder though, so I suspect there are a fair number of people who just can't see it, for whatever reason.

This is really weird. I've had mine up and running since (quick calculation) March 17th without a reboot and haven't noticed any difference in performance (Windows 8, Frodo 12.1, Confluence). In fact, last night I watched probably the biggest files I have, 16Gb (1080p, DTS 5.1) Django Unchained which has plenty of slow, smooth panning motions and noticed no stuttering, and believe me, I hate this when I see it, and to be fair, sometimes I see it watching TV on my Sky box. Funnily enough I watched Contact on it a couple of weeks ago and again, noticed nothing untoward in the opening sequence (EDIT: this was an DVD Rip with only AAC 2.0 sound at about 1Gb in size)...hardware acceleration is off permanently on mine.

I'm no expert on stuttering and so on, but I remember seeing something on these forums about fiddling with video settings regarding syncing playback to display and adjust refresh rate to match video or something along those lines (not in front of my XBMC at the moment so can't be more specific). I daresay you've probably tried all this stuff though.

I should probably reboot mine just to install the Windows updates I guess...

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - Trooperlooper - 2013-04-16

(2013-04-16, 10:06)JesusOnEez Wrote:
(2013-04-16, 09:17)Trooperlooper Wrote: Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, were it not for the stuttering bug in XBMC. If you want perfectly smooth playback, you need to restart xbmc every other day or so as otherwise it starts to stutter. It's a weird bug, as the devs say they can't reproduce it, yet it has happened on every build of xbmc i've ever tried on every hardware i've had. It's a very subtle judder though, so I suspect there are a fair number of people who just can't see it, for whatever reason.

This is really weird. I've had mine up and running since (quick calculation) March 17th without a reboot and haven't noticed any difference in performance (Windows 8, Frodo 12.1, Confluence). In fact, last night I watched probably the biggest files I have, 16Gb (1080p, DTS 5.1) Django Unchained which has plenty of slow, smooth panning motions and noticed no stuttering, and believe me, I hate this when I see it, and to be fair, sometimes I see it watching TV on my Sky box. Funnily enough I watched Contact on it a couple of weeks ago and again, noticed nothing untoward in the opening sequence (EDIT: this was an DVD Rip with only AAC 2.0 sound at about 1Gb in size)...hardware acceleration is off permanently on mine.

I'm no expert on stuttering and so on, but I remember seeing something on these forums about fiddling with video settings regarding syncing playback to display and adjust refresh rate to match video or something along those lines (not in front of my XBMC at the moment so can't be more specific). I daresay you've probably tried all this stuff though.

Yup, tried all variety of settings. A restart of xbmc fixes it, so i'm not imagining it Smile Not that i'm saying you think I am Wink I'd really love to know why some people get it and others don't! At least the Q190 should be able to let us take hardware out of the equation, at least in terms of meda player hardware.

I wonder if it is some strange sync problem that manifests itself dependant on the monitor or TV you are attached to? I'm running through a Sony AV amp, to a Panasonic VT50 plasma.

Hmmm... the other thing is that I run Aeon Nox as my skin, I wonder if the bug is in that. That sounds more likely.

I've found a little app called restartme, which is working well to restart xbmc when I shut it down, so at least it's a painless process to do that now and can be done in a few seconds from my main remote.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - xomnia - 2013-04-16

So my q190 came in the mail on Friday and I got around to setting it up the last few days, I have to say I LOVE THIS THING!

- It has played everything I have with absolute ease, I do have dxva on and haven't had any issues, but I also don't have any hi10 mkvs or straight avc bluray rips which IIRC were what had problems with dxva

- Runs the aeon skin like a champ, which I have to say coming from the world of atv/pivos is a big step up, really makes the whole thing feel more professional.

- The fan was way to fast (and therefore loud), but after the speedfan setup it's quieter than my cable box. I have it set for a goal of 70 degrees (Intels spec says 100 degree max so I think that gives me plenty of room). I forget my percentages (25 & 45?) but the max fan speed is about 3000-3200 (I forget the minimum speed, I think it drops to 2300) and I barely ever hear the thing. I heard it once or twice using the built in aeon nox home screen editor (not surprising) and when sabnzbd was par2ing a movie. It has yet to go to the failsafe 100%.

@Trooperlooper I used this video on YouTube to get my speedfan running on startup, it seemed kind of convoluted to me but I did what he said and its running perfect, no systray icon but it does show up in task manager and I can hear it dial down the fan to sweet silence soon after login. If you need to adjust settings you can still just open the app the old fashioned way and get the systray icon and adjustment window.

- The adjust refresh rate to match video that JesusOnEez alluded to is a great feature, especially if you have a tv (plasma) capable of 24hz multiples. There does seem to be a bug in xbmc where the audio is out of sync once this feature is on, but it only happens on 24/23.97 content, and appears to be constant no matter when it happens. The solution to the audio sync problem (discussed here) is to use the advancedsettings.xml to create a delay that engages automatically whenever you play 23.97/24p content, mine was 200ms, which I assume is the same for anyone else using the celeron since we all have the same chipset (and best that I could tell, people only reported different delays because they were on different chipsets). Might be a different delay for those not using dxva, I don't know, but its easy enough in xbmc to play with the delay slider and then you just use that number in the advancedsettings. Anyways, since I set this up on my box it's been super smooth.

Does anyone know where to get a cheap mce reciever (ehome), and if they work with this box even though it doesn't have mce on it? The last time I had one of those remotes it was with windows xp pro, just wondering if the driver is in all versions now.

(2013-04-16, 13:20)xomnia Wrote: So my q190 came in the mail on Friday and I got around to setting it up the last few days, I have to say I LOVE THIS THING!

- It has played everything I have with absolute ease, I do have dxva on and haven't had any issues, but I also don't have any hi10 mkvs or straight avc bluray rips which IIRC were what had problems with dxva

- Runs the aeon skin like a champ, which I have to say coming from the world of atv/pivos is a big step up, really makes the whole thing feel more professional.

- The fan was way to fast (and therefore loud), but after the speedfan setup it's quieter than my cable box. I have it set for a goal of 70 degrees (Intels spec says 100 degree max so I think that gives me plenty of room). I forget my percentages (25 & 45?) but the max fan speed is about 3000-3200 (I forget the minimum speed, I think it drops to 2300) and I barely ever hear the thing. I heard it once or twice using the built in aeon nox home screen editor (not surprising) and when sabnzbd was par2ing a movie. It has yet to go to the failsafe 100%.

@Trooperlooper I used this video on YouTube to get my speedfan running on startup, it seemed kind of convoluted to me but I did what he said and its running perfect, no systray icon but it does show up in task manager and I can hear it dial down the fan to sweet silence soon after login. If you need to adjust settings you can still just open the app the old fashioned way and get the systray icon and adjustment window.

- The adjust refresh rate to match video that JesusOnEez alluded to is a great feature, especially if you have a tv (plasma) capable of 24hz multiples. There does seem to be a bug in xbmc where the audio is out of sync once this feature is on, but it only happens on 24/23.97 content, and appears to be constant no matter when it happens. The solution to the audio sync problem (discussed here) is to use the advancedsettings.xml to create a delay that engages automatically whenever you play 23.97/24p content, mine was 200ms, which I assume is the same for anyone else using the celeron since we all have the same chipset (and best that I could tell, people only reported different delays because they were on different chipsets). Might be a different delay for those not using dxva, I don't know, but its easy enough in xbmc to play with the delay slider and then you just use that number in the advancedsettings. Anyways, since I set this up on my box it's been super smooth.

Does anyone know where to get a cheap mce reciever (ehome), and if they work with this box even though it doesn't have mce on it? The last time I had one of those remotes it was with windows xp pro, just wondering if the driver is in all versions now.

Ta, i'll take a look at the speedfan video.

The refresh rate adjustment is interesting, as I don't get a constant 200ms delay if I use that, I get a varying delay that drifts in and out of sync, between roughly 0-50ms delay. Like I said i'm using DXVA, the hardware is the same, so why does xbmc show such different behaviour for everyone? It's pretty crazy Smile

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - idlerobbo - 2013-04-16

As for restarting XBMC automatically - why don't you create a .bat file (just paste the below script into notepad and save as a .bat file) and then use Windows task scheduler to execute the batch file daily at a time you would never be using XBMC. This should do the job:

@echo off
taskkill /f /IM "PathTo\xbmc.exe"

@echo off
"PathTo\xbmc.exe"

(2013-04-16, 17:11)idlerobbo Wrote: As for restarting XBMC automatically - why don't you create a .bat file (just paste the below script into notepad and save as a .bat file) and then use Windows task scheduler to execute the batch file daily at a time you would never be using XBMC. This should do the job:

@echo off
taskkill /f /IM "PathTo\xbmc.exe"

@echo off
"PathTo\xbmc.exe"

Because if I do that, then that is generally restarted at a time that the TV is off. No TV signal means that XBMC doesn't know what resolution the monitor supports, so starts at a low resolution.

It was the first thing I tried Smile