Kodi Community Forum
WMC as the backend - released - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: WMC as the backend - released (/showthread.php?tid=171216)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - hoopsdavis - 2013-09-12

(2013-09-12, 17:21)w84no1 Wrote:
(2013-09-12, 15:08)hoopsdavis Wrote:
(2013-09-12, 04:23)krustyreturns Wrote: Hi everybody,

A new version of the server and client is up on the web site. You can view the change log for details, but the main difference in the server is improved channel-change speed and scarecrow420's re-factoring of the project code. Also a number of bugs were fixed, including genre coloring and the deletion of recorded tv files.

The client addon contains a minor change too, its not necessary to upgrade the client to get it to work, but the server/client communication will be more efficient if you do.

Thanks to scarecrow420 for his changes and his cleaning up of the code. Also I want to thank hoopsdavis for his super fast testing before this release, he discovered a number of key bugs and has saved us a lot of time.

--kr

Krusty everything seems to be running great, no issues since the most recent build (1063).
I think I'll add another tuner to my system this weekend and see how the serverWMC responds, I'll touch base with you after testing.

I'm currently getting channel change speeds of Qam: 4 seconds. Digital (connect to set-top-box) 6.5 seconds.

Hoops, are you using DVBLink for your HD-PVR or the hauppauge WMC software?

Yes I'm using DVBLink

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-09-12

(2013-09-12, 16:24)Dilligaf Wrote: Running HDHomeruns I have 7 channels marked as protected but the protection is copy_freely. These channels work in WMC but fail to work with in xbmc. I do NOT have a cable card or STB, logs here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/xbmc.log
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/ServerWMC.log

Any ideas or any other info needed??

Besides the copy_free, copy_once, copy_never, type DRM protection, wmc can also can encrypt the channel, which, as near as I can tell, independent from the other DRM - that's why both flags are used in a wtv file. You are probably asking, 'Why mark the channel as copy_free and but then also encrypt it?', which is a good question and I don't know the answer, but as you can see, it happens. Since the channel is encrypted, my parser can't make heads or tails out of the video data, and it fails. WMC can play it because it can decrypt it.

If you record a wtv file on these channels and can play the resulting wtv in xbmc, then I am wrong and I would need you to send me a short like 2 minute clip of a wtv file from this channel.

(2013-09-12, 12:20)bry- Wrote: Krustyreturns, perhaps link the rpi thread on the google page to keep everything consistent?

Good idea. I will do this.

(2013-09-12, 14:55)jlamb100 Wrote: This may be redundant information, but I wanted to post it just in case anybody has the same issue I did in the future. This information is specifically about the raspberry pi, but I imagine is applicable to any front end.

I installed the raspberry pi front end on Raspbmc. It connected to the server fine and I was able to tune to a channel and select recorded tv to watch. My problem was that I got audio but no video.

I purchased the mpeg-2 license from the raspberry pi store, updated the pi with the license, and rebooted. I now have audio & video. Live and recorded tv played fine (though I had only a short time to test).

Thank you Krusty and the rest of the guys who have worked on this. I am truly grateful.

That is good to know, since I don't have a raspbmc machine this is all news to me, I didn't realize it worked this way. FYI, the other format channels can use is h264. You may have to purchase a license for this too if you find any channels that use it.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dilligaf - 2013-09-12

(2013-09-12, 18:22)krustyreturns Wrote: Besides the copy_free, copy_once, copy_never, type DRM protection, wmc can also can encrypt the channel, which, as near as I can tell, independent from the other DRM - that's why both flags are used in a wtv file. You are probably asking, 'Why mark the channel as copy_free and but then also encrypt it?', which is a good question and I don't know the answer, but as you can see, it happens. Since the channel is encrypted, my parser can't make heads or tails out of the video data, and it fails. WMC can play it because it can decrypt it.

If you record a wtv file on these channels and can play the resulting wtv in xbmc, then I am wrong and I would need you to send me a short like 2 minute clip of a wtv file from this channel.

Here's a short recording done in WMC from one of the channels, the resulting file plays in XBMC https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/Barney%20%26%20Friends_WTVSDT_2013_09_12_12_37_13.wtv

The channel fails to play in XBMC

(2013-09-12, 18:45)Dilligaf Wrote:
(2013-09-12, 18:22)krustyreturns Wrote: Besides the copy_free, copy_once, copy_never, type DRM protection, wmc can also can encrypt the channel, which, as near as I can tell, independent from the other DRM - that's why both flags are used in a wtv file. You are probably asking, 'Why mark the channel as copy_free and but then also encrypt it?', which is a good question and I don't know the answer, but as you can see, it happens. Since the channel is encrypted, my parser can't make heads or tails out of the video data, and it fails. WMC can play it because it can decrypt it.

Here's a short recording done in WMC from one of the channels, the resulting file plays in XBMC https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/Barney%20%26%20Friends_WTVSDT_2013_09_12_12_37_13.wtv

Thanks, I have the file.

(2013-09-12, 18:45)Dilligaf Wrote:

So the remuxer can parse this file just fine.

When you get time do this experiment for me: Start a recording on one of these channels, after the recording is underway for a minute or two, find this active recording in the 'recorded tv' list and try to play it while it is recording. Let me know if you can view it and send me the server log. Thanks.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Cab121 - 2013-09-12

Krusty
I have been following your work for a long time now. Have been silent since I didn't think there was anything I could add to the project. I believe I might be able to compile a port for the Raspberry Pi but I wasn't sure if anyone was currently working on this. If not then ill start experimenting from the source code and go from there. My goal was to compile a working port in wheezy for the kernel then port to XBMC. My logic here is you can load XBMC on a destro for the Pi anyways. Would be much simpler to compile a plugin from a destro+xbmc stack then just port it for Openelec or a flavor there of.

Another idea was to simply take the Linux version and recompile it with the Arm kernel source and so on . Well ill tinker away at it and we can see what happens. Let me know your thoughts on the matter and ill help anyway I can. Im sure there are plenty of Raspberry Pi users following this that would love to test it. (Im looking at you actual testers that log data and report regularly not joe user)

Another brainstorm here. Once an arm friendly version is beta it (in theory) would take little effort to port it to a Android XBMC version. Then let some XDA friends run wild with it. Excuse me while I practice my evil laugh.

Here's the log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/ServerWMC1.log it tried playing in xbmc but seemed to hang, eventually xbmc locked up. Of course this was all on the same machine so I had WMC and XBMC trying to play video simultaneously.

(2013-09-12, 19:16)Cab121 Wrote: Krusty
I have been following your work for a long time now. Have been silent since I didn't think there was anything I could add to the project. I believe I might be able to compile a port for the Raspberry Pi but I wasn't sure if anyone was currently working on this. If not then ill start experimenting from the source code and go from there. My goal was to compile a working port in wheezy for the kernel then port to XBMC. My logic here is you can load XBMC on a destro for the Pi anyways. Would be much simpler to compile a plugin from a destro+xbmc stack then just port it for Openelec or a flavor there of.

Another idea was to simply take the Linux version and recompile it with the Arm kernel source and so on . Well ill tinker away at it and we can see what happens. Let me know your thoughts on the matter and ill help anyway I can. Im sure there are plenty of Raspberry Pi users following this that would love to test it. (Im looking at you actual testers that log data and report regularly not joe user)

Another brainstorm here. Once an arm friendly version is beta it (in theory) would take little effort to port it to a Android XBMC version. Then let some XDA friends run wild with it. Excuse me while I practice my evil laugh.

I guess my only thoughts on the matter are 'that would kick-ass!'. I have received numerous requests for everything you mention, especially Android. Anyway I can help just let me know. I will PM you my email.

(2013-09-12, 19:22)Dilligaf Wrote: Here's the log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/ServerWMC1.log it tried playing in xbmc but seemed to hang, eventually xbmc locked up. Of course this was all on the same machine so I had WMC and XBMC trying to play video simultaneously.

Looking at the log, it looks to me like it was able to parse the stream correctly. I don't know why you have WMC playing the file, it doesn't even need to be running. I just want you play a wtv file that is actively being recorded to inside of xbmc. Maybe try it again?

(2013-09-12, 15:33)scarecrow420 Wrote: The interesting thing is that there are these comments "pvr clients which use this demuxer need to send pat/pmt at least when there are changes." so perhaps we actually need to do something on our side now. I guess I need to school up on all this audio/video stream stuff etc. Or just leave it krusty and Ill work on more infrastructury type changes hehe Smile

For the record, I would love to have help on the video side, after all the infrastructure is done right Smile? I think the discussion you reference above is when the addon does the demux, something we aren't doing.

Just figured that out Smile with it recording in the background it plays fine in xbmc, log here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/ServerWMC2.log

(2013-09-12, 20:07)Dilligaf Wrote: Just figured that out Smile with it recording in the background it plays fine in xbmc, log here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/ServerWMC2.log

Well that's curious, why does the remuxer work here but not when the stream is 'live'? If you are still in the game, go to the debug tab in the server and un-check 'delete temporary files'. Then start the live stream on one of these allegedly encrypted channels. After it crashes out, go to the tempxbmc folder in your recorded tv folder and give me the wtv file you see there.

Here it is https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/LiveTV_mike-PC_ClearQAM_240_2013_09_12_14_47_30.wtv

(2013-09-12, 20:50)Dilligaf Wrote: Here it is https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30655053/LiveTV_mike-PC_ClearQAM_240_2013_09_12_14_47_30.wtv

I have it, I'll let you know what I find.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - scott967 - 2013-09-12

(2013-09-12, 01:35)krustyreturns Wrote: Sorry about that. The remuxer crashed at something we call the '20 minute' problem, and it looks like the tuner wasn't successfully shut down after that. Restarting the server should clean these files up (or you can delete tempxbmc yourself if you want). Also the genre dictionary not being loaded was a bug in the redesign of the installer that wasn't caught before it was released.

That's the bad news. The good news is all of the above has been addressed in the new version of the server. I will be putting it up shortly.

I am not sure what's going on with your channel icons, it is supposed to just work on the remote client. I'll look into it and request more info if I need it.

(2013-09-12, 03:32)hoopsdavis Wrote: scott967, check your networked client under > Settings > Live TV > Menu/OSD There you can check is the "Default Folder for PVR Thumbnails" is pointing to the wrong location. I had to point my networked client to the folder holding my channel icons.

Thanks. I could delete the .ts file but the .wtv file was locked so I did a re-boot.

On the icons, I didn't set anything on either local or remote client, and guisettings shows "searchicons" as empty. So I looked at the local XBMC12.2 TV22.db and it is showing the icons as
Code:
C:\ProgramData\MyChannelLogos\Logos\Color\filename.png
I don't know how the local XBMC found them, but it did (I assumed it was from the WMC server?). I used the app "my channel logos XL" on Win 8 to set up the icons so I'm sure that has something to do with it. From looking at the folders on the local where I have WMC server set to use
Code:
C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\
as the windows smb shared folder I see a subfolder "\imageCache\ChannelIcons\" which I assume that the WMC server should copy the icons for use by both local/remote clients? I'm not going to share C:\ProgramData but I could copy over the icons of course.

scott s.