Kodi Community Forum
WMC as the backend - released - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: WMC as the backend - released (/showthread.php?tid=171216)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-09-13

(2013-09-13, 08:04)hoopsdavis Wrote: Krusty, one feature I'vd like to request. When watching live tv and a show starts recording on a different channel than what you're watching. Is it possible to add the feature to tune to the channel being recorded instead of getting the message "Stream Timeout" and the picture freezing.

The recording does start but I think tuning to that channel would make more sense. (If it can be done)

Umm. This should not be happening. It should close the stream and tell you that the tuner was needed for a recording. Freezing is not cool. I will double check this, maybe somehow I broke it in the last rev.

As to your idea. I had the same thought at the time I was implementing it. Actually what wmc does when this occurs is to put up a dialog that asks if you wand to
a) cancel the recording, continue watching the live stream
b) change channels to the recording.
c) stop the live stream
Unfortunately, xbmc does not let the pvr put up dialog question like that (at least I think it doesn't - anyone know?). So my plan was to add these choices as settings in the server (although cancelling the recording seems dangerous - so I might not do that one). What do you think about it being a server setting?

RE: WMC as the backend - released - awp0 - 2013-09-13

Krusty, Hoops and Scarecrow, thanks so much for all of the quick info! This is quite helpful!

By the way, when we talk about scheduling series recordings or only "new" shows, this has to be performed in the MCE interface, right? I won't be able to do this kind of scheduling inside of XBMC? That is the case with ArgusTV and I understood it to be a limitation in the XBMC interface rather than a problem with the add-on or backend. For example, I can do a lot of stuff in the ArgusTV web UI that is not available in the XBMC PVR interface.

Sorry, I would install and test this myself but I'm currently running Win2012 which doesn't have MCE. I do have a Win7 Ultimate license though, so I'm considering switching. Just trying to gather some info. I really appreciate all of the work you have put into this. Thanks!

RE: WMC as the backend - released - hoopsdavis - 2013-09-13

(2013-09-13, 17:42)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 08:04)hoopsdavis Wrote: Krusty, one feature I'vd like to request. When watching live tv and a show starts recording on a different channel than what you're watching. Is it possible to add the feature to tune to the channel being recorded instead of getting the message "Stream Timeout" and the picture freezing.

The recording does start but I think tuning to that channel would make more sense. (If it can be done)

Umm. This should not be happening. It should close the stream and tell you that the tuner was needed for a recording. Freezing is not cool. I will double check this, maybe somehow I broke it in the last rev.

As to your idea. I had the same thought at the time I was implementing it. Actually what wmc does when this occurs is to put up a dialog that asks if you wand to
a) cancel the recording, continue watching the live stream
b) change channels to the recording.
c) stop the live stream
Unfortunately, xbmc does not let the pvr put up dialog question like that (at least I think it doesn't - anyone know?). So my plan was to add these choices as settings in the server (although cancelling the recording seems dangerous - so I might not do that one). What do you think about it being a server setting?

Sounds like a good idea, if you can add this to the server settings that would be great, and I agree, cancelling the recording isn't a good idea. But the other 2 options would be enough.

(2013-09-13, 17:53)awp0 Wrote: Krusty, Hoops and Scarecrow, thanks so much for all of the quick info! This is quite helpful!

By the way, when we talk about scheduling series recordings or only "new" shows, this has to be performed in the MCE interface, right? I won't be able to do this kind of scheduling inside of XBMC? That is the case with ArgusTV and I understood it to be a limitation in the XBMC interface rather than a problem with the add-on or backend. For example, I can do a lot of stuff in the ArgusTV web UI that is not available in the XBMC PVR interface.

Sorry, I would install and test this myself but I'm currently running Win2012 which doesn't have MCE. I do have a Win7 Ultimate license though, so I'm considering switching. Just trying to gather some info. I really appreciate all of the work you have put into this. Thanks!

As far as schedule series recordings, yes I do this all in WMC, its just easier. Set your WMC RecordedTV defaults to "New only" and all series will fall under that setting afterwards. Although I have noticed a way to schedule a series weekly, daily or whatever in xbmc but the only experience I have with this was on Mediaportal and mediaportal only schedule time slots, not the show.
So, today I guess I'll test this and see if scheduling a series from xbmc will stick in wmc. (In my opinion it should work, xbmc should only send this info back to wmc) I'll post my results later.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - awp0 - 2013-09-13

Thanks Krusty. This is very helpful. Years ago I was a diehard MCE guy, so I'm familiar with the UI. I gave up on it primarily due to the lack of codec support in the extenders (I have a good sized movie collection). But this does seem like a good solution. Great work with this.

(2013-09-13, 18:11)awp0 Wrote: Thanks Krusty. This is very helpful. Years ago I was a diehard MCE guy, so I'm familiar with the UI. I gave up on it primarily due to the lack of codec support in the extenders (I have a good sized movie collection). But this does seem like a good solution. Great work with this.

I agree I was also a diehard wmc guy (TheGreenbutton), with Mediabrowsers addition. I gave up on wmc when it appeared Microsoft was leaving us diehard out in the cold, no real updates, no changes as well as everything you had to go through during setup to get the different formats of movies to play.
But with WMC as a backend, lifes good. Smile

RE: WMC as the backend - released - TheImmortal - 2013-09-13

Just got my cable card setup working and everything is good in wmc on Windows 8.1, so I wanted to give this a shot. When I try to load serverwmc, I get the following error:

Could not load file or assembly 'mcepg, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Unrecoverable error - ServerWMC will terminate!

(2013-09-13, 18:30)TheImmortal Wrote: Just got my cable card setup working and everything is good in wmc on Windows 8.1, so I wanted to give this a shot. When I try to load serverwmc, I get the following error:

Could not load file or assembly 'mcepg, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I think that it is looking for a different version of WMC. I found the mcepg.dll file and it is located in multiple places:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\msil_mcepg_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_896b2d197ee2616e\mcepg.dll
C:\Windows\ehome\mcepg.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\mcepg\v4.0_6.3.0.0_31bf3856ad364e35\mcepg.dll

If I copy the dll file to C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\mcepg\6.1.0.0_31bf3856ad364e35, then the error changes to "Could not load file or assembly 'ehRecObj..."

(2013-09-13, 19:10)TheImmortal Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 18:30)TheImmortal Wrote: Just got my cable card setup working and everything is good in wmc on Windows 8.1, so I wanted to give this a shot. When I try to load serverwmc, I get the following error:

I think that it is looking for a different version of WMC. I found the mcepg.dll file and it is located in multiple places:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\msil_mcepg_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_896b2d197ee2616e\mcepg.dll
C:\Windows\ehome\mcepg.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\mcepg\v4.0_6.3.0.0_31bf3856ad364e35\mcepg.dll

If I copy the dll file to C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\mcepg\6.1.0.0_31bf3856ad364e35, then the error changes to "Could not load file or assembly 'ehRecObj..."

That's weird. do you have anything running in the background, active recording, or anything wmc related?

No, it's a fresh install, tried after reboot with no other apps installed except xbmc.

(2013-09-13, 19:28)TheImmortal Wrote: No, it's a fresh install, tried after reboot with no other apps installed except xbmc.

check this location for that mcepg.dll file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome

(2013-09-13, 19:34)hoopsdavis Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 19:28)TheImmortal Wrote: No, it's a fresh install, tried after reboot with no other apps installed except xbmc.

check this location for that mcepg.dll file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome

No, it is not there.

I'm wondering if server_wmc is having a compatibility issue with windows 8.1

Everything is installed in its default locations?

(2013-09-13, 19:36)hoopsdavis Wrote: I'm wondering if server_wmc is having a compatibility issue with windows 8.1

I think that is the case. I did a search and it seems that other WMC plugins are experiencing similar problems.

(2013-09-13, 19:38)TheImmortal Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 19:36)hoopsdavis Wrote: I'm wondering if server_wmc is having a compatibility issue with windows 8.1

I think that is the case. I did a search and it seems that other WMC plugins are experiencing similar problems.

Are you able to go back to just windows 8 or windows 7? (Not sure if you use this pc for anything else, if not go with that works) Its worth it.

(2013-09-13, 19:36)hoopsdavis Wrote: Everything is installed in its default locations?

Yes. I haven't changed anything. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 WMC this morning, installed the drivers for my tv tuner, did a windows update, and configured WMC. Everything went perfect. Once I had Live TV working, I installed XBMC and then ServerWMC.

(2013-09-13, 19:41)hoopsdavis Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 19:38)TheImmortal Wrote:

Are you able to go back to just windows 8 or windows 7? (Not sure if you use this pc for anything else, if not go with that works) Its worth it.

I'll go back to Windows 8. Hopefully once the official release of Windows 8.1 comes out there will be better all around support for it. It looks like right now Windows 8.1 breaks as many things as it fixes.