Kodi Community Forum
WMC as the backend - released - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: WMC as the backend - released (/showthread.php?tid=171216)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - hoopsdavis - 2013-09-14

(2013-09-14, 02:24)Raymond699 Wrote: Does anyone have a screenshot of their xbmc EPG guide using the wmc backend?

Oakley Sunglasses

ImageImageImageImageImage

watch gallery

RE: WMC as the backend - released - zaide_chris - 2013-09-14

With the last update the channel change has sped up, but now on channels with multiple language sound tracks I sporadically get the wrong language or more then one language playing at the same time.

Here a 7-zip of both a wtv and a ts file of a show with this issue:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwwnao9FSlibbnBMWkZIVWdfMUU/edit?usp=sharing

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dilligaf - 2013-09-14

@Hoops what skin is that? As I mostly use a PI does anyone know a lightweight skin that has a EPG that displays show info on the screen? With Confluence you have to select the show to see additional info

(2013-09-14, 02:43)Dilligaf Wrote: @Hoops what skin is that? As I mostly use a PI does anyone know a lightweight skin that has a EPG that displays show info on the screen? With Confluence you have to select the show to see additional info

The skin is Arctic This skin does and so does Big Refocus

RE: WMC as the backend - released - scarecrow420 - 2013-09-14

(2013-09-14, 01:49)MeMeMe Wrote:
(2013-09-14, 00:24)hoopsdavis Wrote:
(2013-09-14, 00:00)MeMeMe Wrote: Argus TV (which I used with MediaPortal) has the most advanced scheduling of any PVR that i've seen, more advanced and flexible than WMC (and WMC is very good).
I used MP's own TV server before switching to Argus, and I cantremember it being limited just to time slots. It's a long time since I've used it, so maybe it is, but I'm skeptical. If that's the way it's working for you, maybe it's a limitation of how you're collecting EPG data.
With EPG data, all PVR's should be able to manage recordings based on program names, episode numbers, etc.

MeMeMe, that's just it, with mediaportal on the xbmc side, episode numbers aren't populated, unless you can teach me something I don't know.
Even with the wmc_server backend, I'm not getting episode names or numbers populated in xbmc program guide.

Is there something you can help me learn?

I have no experience with XBMC;s PVR, but I understand it lacks quite a few features that the backends do have (series recording for instance). If you use mediaportal's server, and mediaportal as a client, you should be able to do series recordings and avoid getting repeats.

I think (can't be 100% sure) the failings you are seeing are because XBMC's PVR support isn't mature yet.

That said, the way EPG is populated can also play a part. Sometimes EPG data can be flaky - even on WMC, episodes usually lack numbers, sometimes lack a title. But they are always flagged as a repeat if they are repeated.

Using any decent PVR though you should be able to do this: set a series recording, which sets the PVR to record all programs of that name, and then further define "only this channel" or "All channels", and "new episodes only" or "all episodes". Then, if a program broadcast time changes, and the EPG is updated to reflect it, the recording time slot will be adjusted to account for it.

WMC and Argus - the two I'm most familiar with - can do better than that baseline, but not through XBMC: you have to use their own clients to get the full benefit. Argus, btw, has a nice client designed to be run on its own to set and manage recording schedules.

Hopefully the version of XBMC after Frodo will bring XBMC up to speed with other PVRs.

Edit: Though i wouldn't hold your breath. I just read this disappointing statement from one of the XBMC devs here
(2013-06-01, 13:20)opdenkamp Wrote: regarding series linking: i know it's a much requested feature, but i currently got a limited amount of time and i don't and won't be using this feature myself, so unless someone else finds the time and wants to implement it, it will be something for after Gotham.
Which means it's likely to be over a year before XBMC gets such a very basic PVR feature.
I believe krusty has at least partially got some of these extra features working, by having a custom dialog that pops up when you start a recording from EPG, asking if you want to series link it or not. So its not built into XBMC PVR but there is limited ability for addons to popup custom dialogs at some points etc. If this isnt working at the moment it might have been disabled but it used to be there at least

(2013-09-14, 05:02)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2013-09-14, 01:49)MeMeMe Wrote:
(2013-09-14, 00:24)hoopsdavis Wrote: MeMeMe, that's just it, with mediaportal on the xbmc side, episode numbers aren't populated, unless you can teach me something I don't know.
Even with the wmc_server backend, I'm not getting episode names or numbers populated in xbmc program guide.

Is there something you can help me learn?

I have no experience with XBMC;s PVR, but I understand it lacks quite a few features that the backends do have (series recording for instance). If you use mediaportal's server, and mediaportal as a client, you should be able to do series recordings and avoid getting repeats.

I think (can't be 100% sure) the failings you are seeing are because XBMC's PVR support isn't mature yet.

That said, the way EPG is populated can also play a part. Sometimes EPG data can be flaky - even on WMC, episodes usually lack numbers, sometimes lack a title. But they are always flagged as a repeat if they are repeated.

Using any decent PVR though you should be able to do this: set a series recording, which sets the PVR to record all programs of that name, and then further define "only this channel" or "All channels", and "new episodes only" or "all episodes". Then, if a program broadcast time changes, and the EPG is updated to reflect it, the recording time slot will be adjusted to account for it.

WMC and Argus - the two I'm most familiar with - can do better than that baseline, but not through XBMC: you have to use their own clients to get the full benefit. Argus, btw, has a nice client designed to be run on its own to set and manage recording schedules.

Hopefully the version of XBMC after Frodo will bring XBMC up to speed with other PVRs.

Edit: Though i wouldn't hold your breath. I just read this disappointing statement from one of the XBMC devs here
(2013-06-01, 13:20)opdenkamp Wrote: regarding series linking: i know it's a much requested feature, but i currently got a limited amount of time and i don't and won't be using this feature myself, so unless someone else finds the time and wants to implement it, it will be something for after Gotham.
Which means it's likely to be over a year before XBMC gets such a very basic PVR feature.
I believe krusty has at least partially got some of these extra features working, by having a custom dialog that pops up when you start a recording from EPG, asking if you want to series link it or not. So its not built into XBMC PVR but there is limited ability for addons to popup custom dialogs at some points etc. If this isnt working at the moment it might have been disabled but it used to be there at least

Yes, he mentioned these options to me and plans to add them in soon.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - drewscm - 2013-09-14

Another option for managing recordings is to use the My Media Center app from Ceton, it works great with WMC, use it on my ipad and iphone to search the guide, set my recordings and delete. Its much better than remote potato. Another plus is Ceton claims to be working on the capability to stream through the app....who knows if it will happen.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - ferretlegs - 2013-09-14

(2013-09-13, 17:26)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-09-13, 03:45)ferretlegs Wrote: Thanks for the tip re long pastes, I have edited the original post. Here is the link to the full log,

http://pastebin.com/y3AkvmZq

With regards to the sbe file, I have more than 100gb of free space so I am not worried, as long as they eventually clean themselves up I suppose. I haven't run the server for more than half a day at a time so far, so I dont know how well it will ultimately manage itself. But as I said, not a real issue atm, just wanted to provide the feedback.

Thanks for your help on this...

If you see a problem with the sbe files, please let me know - there are lots of different ways to handle the sbe.

I can't see why the channel is not working, somehow though the remuxer is not getting the stream info (its even more curious that scarecrow has no problem with the same channels). When you can, do an experiment for me
1) start a recording on one of these channels
2) once the recording starts, find the recording file in the 'recordings' section of xbmc and try to play it. NOTE its important to play it WHILE the recording is in progress.
3) let me know if it plays

The other ting you can do is create a 2 minute clip of a recording from this channel and get it to me (skydrive, dropbox, google drive) etc. Send me a link when its there.

Hey Krusty, I have completed the above and can confirm that the recording can be played in xbmc while the actual recording is still in progress. I have sent you a link to a two minute clip from channel 7. Let me know if you need me to do anything else - happy to help out where I can with this project.

Re: RE: WMC as the backend - released - Cab121 - 2013-09-14

(2013-09-12, 19:28)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-09-12, 19:16)Cab121 Wrote: Krusty
I have been following your work for a long time now. Have been silent since I didn't think there was anything I could add to the project. I believe I might be able to compile a port for the Raspberry Pi but I wasn't sure if anyone was currently working on this. If not then ill start experimenting from the source code and go from there. My goal was to compile a working port in wheezy for the kernel then port to XBMC. My logic here is you can load XBMC on a destro for the Pi anyways. Would be much simpler to compile a plugin from a destro+xbmc stack then just port it for Openelec or a flavor there of.

Another idea was to simply take the Linux version and recompile it with the Arm kernel source and so on . Well ill tinker away at it and we can see what happens. Let me know your thoughts on the matter and ill help anyway I can. Im sure there are plenty of Raspberry Pi users following this that would love to test it. (Im looking at you actual testers that log data and report regularly not joe user)

Another brainstorm here. Once an arm friendly version is beta it (in theory) would take little effort to port it to a Android XBMC version. Then let some XDA friends run wild with it. Excuse me while I practice my evil laugh.

I guess my only thoughts on the matter are 'that would kick-ass!'. I have received numerous requests for everything you mention, especially Android. Anyway I can help just let me know. I will PM you my email.

Recieved and replied. Will com over PM and email from this point. Thanks Krusty.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-09-14

(2013-09-14, 06:42)ferretlegs Wrote: Hey Krusty, I have completed the above and can confirm that the recording can be played in xbmc while the actual recording is still in progress. I have sent you a link to a two minute clip from channel 7. Let me know if you need me to do anything else - happy to help out where I can with this project.

I have the clip, thanks. If you can view it while it is recording, you should be able to view it live. I'll let you know what I find.

PS
Did it have to be Dr Oz? For some reason whenever I get time to work on this stuff, dr oz seems to be all that is on my test channels. Why don't any good shows fail? Smile

(2013-09-14, 02:02)TheImmortal Wrote: I have a feature request. Can you add the ability to use WMC channel categories in XBMC?

I'll add it to the list.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-09-14

(2013-09-14, 02:38)zaide_chris Wrote: With the last update the channel change has sped up, but now on channels with multiple language sound tracks I sporadically get the wrong language or more then one language playing at the same time.

Here a 7-zip of both a wtv and a ts file of a show with this issue:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwwnao9FSlibbnBMWkZIVWdfMUU/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for being proactive and having the clips ready. This audio track stuff is in the heart of the new parser, and I had a worry that I didn't test enough with multiple audio tracks. Hopefully sorting it out won't be too difficult....

woah, that simultaneous spanish and english is kind of freaky.

(2013-09-14, 05:02)scarecrow420 Wrote: I believe krusty has at least partially got some of these extra features working, by having a custom dialog that pops up when you start a recording from EPG, asking if you want to series link it or not. So its not built into XBMC PVR but there is limited ability for addons to popup custom dialogs at some points etc. If this isnt working at the moment it might have been disabled but it used to be there at least

Yeah, here are the instructions again:

In order to enable the addon to set 'series' recording and 'cancel' series recordings do the following:

Install:
If you look in the ‘resources’ folder of the addon you will see two xml skin files I created for confluence.
These files need to be manually added to the confluence skin folder, or you can do what I did, and just create symbolic
link to these files in the confluence folder.

If you aren't using confluence you can add these files to the skin folder you are using, but the dialogs will look funky
since they are designed for confluence (they should work though). You can modify these files to look right in whatever
your skin of choice is if you are so inclined.

Use:
So once installed, when try to record a show after the initial confirmation, a new dialog will open (if it’s a tv series)
asking if you want to record the series. Similar for when you go to delete a timer, if it’s a series timer, it will ask
you if you want to delete the whole series-timer.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - drewscm - 2013-09-15

Ok...I've been messing with Raspbmc and I am unable to get anything to play through the live tv or recordings. I am able to get my recorded shows to work when I open them in the videos section. I can watch the server and it shows that the channel changes to what I choose on the pi, but not playback, shows working in the bottom corner for a few secs then nothing.

I know this is a Pi question, but it doesn't seem like anyone is participating over at that forum.

Anyone have this issue with their pi?

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dilligaf - 2013-09-15

You need to go into XBMC file manager, choose add source and then browse to your windows machine recorded TV share, when prompted provide a username/password that is valid on the Windows machine and check the remember password box. Without looking at your logs I'm guessing the PI can't access the share, in Windows 'Everyone" means everyone with an account on the machine. Also make sure that whatever user you use has full access to the share in the properties>security tab on the Windows machine. If this doesn't fix your problem then paste your xbmc.log and server log somewhere and post a link here

RE: WMC as the backend - released - scott967 - 2013-09-15

OK I had a stream hang. This tine I was able to switch channels and serverWMC was able to resume.

details:

server OS Win 8
serverWMC 1063
local XBMC 12.2 on Win 8
local wmc pvr client 1009

Hauppauge 2250 ATSC tuner (PCIe card)

First started LiveTV on ATSC chan 5.1 @ 12:11:09
stream available in 8.17 sec

Changed channel to 4.1 @ 14:49:49
stream available in 1.90 sec (!)

LiveTV froze/ XBMC entered "pause" @16:02:32
log line 568:

Code:
2013/09/14 16:02:55.368    GetNextGuid> possible meta split across guid header at location: 1E2480000 (8,091,336,704)
2013/09/14 16:02:55.368    GetNextGuid> Header before offset: Guid: Unknown 5, len: 36, pad 4, sId: 17, Cnt: 0, isValid: False
2013/09/14 16:02:55.369    Parse> Exception:
2013/09/14 16:02:55.369    Parse>   Pass: mux2ts
2013/09/14 16:02:55.369    Parse>   Guid count: 2311175
2013/09/14 16:02:55.369    Parse>   Header: Guid: DATA_GUID, len: 34, pad 6, sId: 12, Cnt: 2311174, isValid: True
2013/09/14 16:02:55.369    Parse>   re-throwing exception
2013/09/14 16:02:55.523    Remux> error: System.Exception: bad buffer passed to GuidHeader contructor: Remuxer.common.ByteBuffer  pos: 0 lim: 0 cap: 0
   at Remuxer.demux.microsoft.WtvToPesDemuxer.parse(JobStreamI stream, MuxManager muxManager)
   at Remuxer.muxer.MuxManager.mux(JobStreamI stream)
   at Remuxer.Remux.Start()
2013/09/14 16:02:55.605    Remux> ended, run time: 73.07 min
2013/09/14 16:03:03.093    StreamFileSize> stream file for client Win8HTPC size check, count: 25, file size: 8,172,666,880

Full log is here:

http://pastebin.com/V1ngWj13

scott s.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - ferretlegs - 2013-09-15

(2013-09-14, 19:21)krustyreturns Wrote: I have the clip, thanks. If you can view it while it is recording, you should be able to view it live. I'll let you know what I find.

PS
Did it have to be Dr Oz? For some reason whenever I get time to work on this stuff, dr oz seems to be all that is on my test channels. Why don't any good shows fail? Smile

lol, sorry about that. I actually winced when I saw what the recording was too. Hopefully it will quickly help shed light on whats happening though and not require a hundred playthroughs Tongue