Kodi Community Forum
WMC as the backend - released - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: WMC as the backend - released (/showthread.php?tid=171216)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - cflynt - 2013-09-29

Thanks so much for developing this. I am at a standstill though. I tried with the default port of 9080. XBMC Connected, got EPG etc, but when I tried to start a channel, nothing. So then I remembered I am running RemotePotato which uses port 9080, so I went into ServerWMC settings and changed to 9090. Now I get the errors mentioned before about Unable to open a listening socket on port 9090, check your firewall settings or if this port is already in use. Unrecoverable Error - ServerWMC will TERMINATE!. Someone else had that as well and you mentioned changing ports, but how do we get back into settings to change the port? It terminates. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, still holds the settings. I glared through the registry and didn't find anything specific to holding that port.

Anyways, is there a way to get back into it to change the setting if it constantly terminates when I try to start? Or do you know the registry key I am looking for or possibly a different file location that I need to update the port in?

Thanks again for all your efforts on this, I don't LOVE WMC, but it is the only Media Center that gives me my copy once channels, and it is a lot less fight than fighting the cable company heh. So would love to be able to use my XBMC clients to do this.

Chad

EDIT: I did some more digging and found the config.xml file finally by doing a search for ServerWMC and found it. For those that might run into this also:

C:\ProgramData\VDsoftware\ServerWMC

The config.xml seems to be the main config file. So now back to making this work. Thanks!

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-09-29

(2013-09-29, 04:00)cflynt Wrote: Thanks so much for developing this. I am at a standstill though. I tried with the default port of 9080. XBMC Connected, got EPG etc, but when I tried to start a channel, nothing. So then I remembered I am running RemotePotato which uses port 9080, so I went into ServerWMC settings and changed to 9090. Now I get the errors mentioned before about Unable to open a listening socket on port 9090, check your firewall settings or if this port is already in use. Unrecoverable Error - ServerWMC will TERMINATE!. Someone else had that as well and you mentioned changing ports, but how do we get back into settings to change the port? It terminates. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, still holds the settings. I glared through the registry and didn't find anything specific to holding that port.

Anyways, is there a way to get back into it to change the setting if it constantly terminates when I try to start? Or do you know the registry key I am looking for or possibly a different file location that I need to update the port in?

Thanks again for all your efforts on this, I don't LOVE WMC, but it is the only Media Center that gives me my copy once channels, and it is a lot less fight than fighting the cable company heh. So would love to be able to use my XBMC clients to do this.

Chad

EDIT: I did some more digging and found the config.xml file finally by doing a search for ServerWMC and found it. For those that might run into this also:

C:\ProgramData\VDsoftware\ServerWMC

The config.xml seems to be the main config file. So now back to making this work. Thanks!

Yeah that's a problem about not being able to set the port in the tool if its use, I will have to do something about that. I have bad news though: xbmc can't play 'copy once', so if that is your requirement I'm afraid you are still stuck with wmc.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - scott967 - 2013-09-29

(2013-09-27, 16:48)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-09-27, 07:23)scott967 Wrote: Q. If you want to watch an episode that is currently being recorded, what is the right way to do it? What I did was go into "recordings" which found the .wtv file, but that only played up to I guess the point where the file ended when I first started playback, at which point a frame was displayed and XBMC froze (had to use task manager to kill).

scott s.

Hi Scott,

Yes that is the way to do it, and no it shouldn't crash. I will try to reproduce today. Has this happened to you consistantly? Any chance you have the server log from this run?

BTW, that large wtv file you sent me was a big help in resolving the problem (fixed in last released rev). It was worth the pain of getting it to me IMO.

edited for an update:
Hoops and I have been trying to reproduce this and we can't. If you don't have the log anymore, can you recall any details like how long the recording had been going before you started watching, whether you started the recording in xbmc or the wmc service had started it, etc.

I was able to reproduce this. I tried to repeat as closely as possible what I think I had done earlier. Forgot to turn debug log on in XBMC unfortunately. I do have a new datapoint. The freeze occurred immediately after I got notification (KaiToast) popup that recording had completed. Server log is here:

http://pastebin.com/Sg9HAGLJ

Since then I installed new Server build 0072 and client 1011. I tried to repeat my scenario and this time no errors. Don't know if something is fixed or just got lucky, but will try some more tests.

Separate observation: the "StepFoward" function (mine is set to 30 sec) basically doesn't work reliably
when playing an active recording. At least early on in the playback it doesn't move forward at all, though later on it does seem to work (I'm assuming this is due to buffering or building the .ts file?) Also the progress bar only shows the current playback position a few seconds before the end (and the end is constantly updated as playback continues, so there always is about 6 secs between playback position and end).

scott s.

(2013-09-29, 04:26)scott967 Wrote: I was able to reproduce this. I tried to repeat as closely as possible what I think I had done earlier. Forgot to turn debug log on in XBMC unfortunately. I do have a new datapoint. The freeze occurred immediately after I got notification (KaiToast) popup that recording had completed. Server log is here:

http://pastebin.com/Sg9HAGLJ

Since then I installed new Server build 0072 and client 1011. I tried to repeat my scenario and this time no errors. Don't know if something is fixed or just got lucky, but will try some more tests.

Separate observation: the "StepFoward" function (mine is set to 30 sec) basically doesn't work reliably
when playing an active recording. At least early on in the playback it doesn't move forward at all, though later on it does seem to work (I'm assuming this is due to buffering or building the .ts file?) Also the progress bar only shows the current playback position a few seconds before the end (and the end is constantly updated as playback continues, so there always is about 6 secs between playback position and end).

scott s.

If you got this error running the old version of the client, I am thinking that is the reason, or at least I want to wait and see if you have the problem again with client 1011. There were some significant changes in the client that could easily effect what you are seeing. Please just make sure you keep the debug log on in the server so you can post it if the problem occurs again. And if it happens again, let me know what the steps are to trigger it.

I am assuming it is the buffering of the ts file too, you can't skip ahead until there is data to skip ahead to.

(2013-09-29, 04:24)krustyreturns Wrote:
Yeah that's a problem about not being able to set the port in the tool if its use, I will have to do something about that. I have bad news though: xbmc can't play 'copy once', so if that is your requirement I'm afraid you are still stuck with wmc.

No, I only have 1 or 2 channels that are Copy Once, so that isn't a concern, that's just the only reason I run WMC on the main TV for the family. I just have lots of XBMC Clients that I would like to have livetv on without having to go through an extender.

I am still fighting an issue though, not sure what quite yet. My EPG loads, my channel list loads etc. But when I try and start a channel it says working for a couple of seconds and then just does nothing, letting me try again. If I try via EPG it says channel cannot be played. Check the log for details. If I try a recording it flat out doesn't even seem to try. I can't make heads or tails on the log. But obviously maybe you can. I have been trying to read back through the thread but haven't come across anything yet. So if you have an idea, thanks.

Side note, I am running OpenELEC on an ION system, but it is x64 based so don't think that is an issue? Unless something with OpenELEC?

Log: http://pastebin.com/g8divcqm

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dilligaf - 2013-09-29

You need to add credentials to the Recorded TV share either with the server options if you are running the latest version or by going to xbmc>file manager>add source browse to your recorded tv folder, fill in the credentials when prompted and check save credentials. Simply sharing Recorded TV with "Everyone" in Windows isn't good enough.

(2013-09-29, 04:57)Dilligaf Wrote: You need to add credentials to the Recorded TV share either with the server options if you are running the latest version or by going to xbmc>file manager>add source browse to your recorded tv folder, fill in the credentials when prompted and check save credentials. Simply sharing Recorded TV with "Everyone" in Windows isn't good enough.

I assume that was for me? I went into the server and tried setting credentials, and it came back and told me directory doesn't exist. I verified that it does, but it won't take it, but it did save the check box, just didn't save the credentials. I also added it as a source and put in the username/password on xbmc and that part saved. But same results when I try to play anything.

http://pastebin.com/3PXJEcpz

Thanks for the reply. Any other tips are welcome.

2013/09/28 22:03:07.027 StreamProc> 'ts' file created, size: 393,216 in 1.68 sec
2013/09/28 22:03:07.028 StreamProc> total time: 1.70 sec
2013/09/28 22:03:07.028 OpenLiveStream> stream path returned to client: smb:\\hooch:*******@HOOCHVID-LR\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_192.168.0.46_Digital Cable_4_2013_09_28_22_03_05.ts
2013/09/28 22:03:07.028 OpenLiveStream> -----------------done-------------------------
2013/09/28 22:03:07.028 Finished request OpenLiveStream in 1.90s

This shows it working, if you added it as a source in xbmc and provided credentials then uncheck it on the server, you want one or the other, not both. If this doesn't fix it then put xbmc into debug and grab xbmc.log, maybe somethings happening on that end

RE: WMC as the backend - released - TechLife - 2013-09-29

Hi all! I just wanted to let everyone know I have started my work on the Wiki pages as promised earlier. Here is what I have so far:

- Added ServerWMC as an option under Windows in the list of available backends here: PVR/Backend. This should give the project additional (and well deserved) exposure.
- Added a new page dedicated to ServerWMC itself here: PVR/Backend/ServerWMC. All of the other backends have separate, dedicated pages for the backend and server and I feel this one should be handled the same. It will provide to be easier to find the needed information in the long run not having both jammed together.

The goal here is to document this wonderful package in a nature that is easy to follow for beginners. In turn, we should be able to cut down on the amount of time a user has to spend sorting through this thread for answers to simple questions (not to mention questions asked over and over again). This should provide a much more pleasurable experience for everyone. Please feel free to make notes here of items that need to be added or corrected. You are also more than welcome to PM me info, suggestions, etc. that you wish to see added so as not to clutter the thread. As mentioned in the first post, for those comfortable doing so, please feel free to apply for access to the Wiki and add information as you see fit. (And let's face it, I'll be happy to have the help!)

(2013-09-29, 05:07)cflynt Wrote:
(2013-09-29, 04:57)Dilligaf Wrote: You need to add credentials to the Recorded TV share either with the server options if you are running the latest version or by going to xbmc>file manager>add source browse to your recorded tv folder, fill in the credentials when prompted and check save credentials. Simply sharing Recorded TV with "Everyone" in Windows isn't good enough.

I assume that was for me? I went into the server and tried setting credentials, and it came back and told me directory doesn't exist. I verified that it does, but it won't take it, but it did save the check box, just didn't save the credentials. I also added it as a source and put in the username/password on xbmc and that part saved. But same results when I try to play anything.

http://pastebin.com/3PXJEcpz

Thanks for the reply. Any other tips are welcome.

I don't understand why the server is saying the directory doesn't exist. Can you post what is in the text box, that it won't accept?

(2013-09-29, 05:20)TechLife Wrote: Hi all! I just wanted to let everyone know I have started my work on the Wiki pages as promised earlier. Here is what I have so far:

- Added ServerWMC as an option under Windows in the list of available backends here: PVR/Backend. This should give the project additional (and well deserved) exposure.
- Added a new page dedicated to ServerWMC itself here: PVR/Backend/ServerWMC. All of the other backends have separate, dedicated pages for the backend and server and I feel this one should be handled the same. It will provide to be easier to find the needed information in the long run not having both jammed together.

The goal here is to document this wonderful package in a nature that is easy to follow for beginners. In turn, we should be able to cut down on the amount of time a user has to spend sorting through this thread for answers to simple questions (not to mention questions asked over and over again). This should provide a much more pleasurable experience for everyone. Please feel free to make notes here of items that need to be added or corrected. You are also more than welcome to PM me info, suggestions, etc. that you wish to see added so as not to clutter the thread. As mentioned in the first post, for those comfortable doing so, please feel free to apply for access to the Wiki and add information as you see fit. (And let's face it, I'll be happy to have the help!)

Thanks again TechLife!

(2013-09-29, 05:17)Dilligaf Wrote: 2013/09/28 22:03:07.027 StreamProc> 'ts' file created, size: 393,216 in 1.68 sec
2013/09/28 22:03:07.028 StreamProc> total time: 1.70 sec
2013/09/28 22:03:07.028 OpenLiveStream> stream path returned to client: smb:\\hooch:*******@HOOCHVID-LR\Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_192.168.0.46_Digital Cable_4_2013_09_28_22_03_05.ts
2013/09/28 22:03:07.028 OpenLiveStream> -----------------done-------------------------
2013/09/28 22:03:07.028 Finished request OpenLiveStream in 1.90s

This shows it working, if you added it as a source in xbmc and provided credentials then uncheck it on the server, you want one or the other, not both. If this doesn't fix it then put xbmc into debug and grab xbmc.log, maybe somethings happening on that end

Unchecked it from the server and same result, and have tried stopping/restarting the serverwmc as well as rebooting the xbmc client. Here's my XBMC log.

(2013-09-29, 05:21)krustyreturns Wrote: I don't understand why the server is saying the directory doesn't exist. Can you post what is in the text box, that it won't accept?

Path to local 'Recorded TV' directory from WMC settings:
C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\

Enter the network share path to the 'Recorded TV' folder (for remote client access):
smb:\\HOOCHVID-LR\Users\Public\Recorded TV\

I will note, that I can click START and type in C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\ and get there just fine. But if I browse to it through My Computer, it does show up as Public Recorded TV But I just assume that is cuz I am logged on as hooch.

Thank you both for your help.

Edit: Again, maybe it is something with the OpenELEC build, from the log it does appear to be working, but not getting anything.

Edit 2: Looking at the TempXBMC folder when I try and start a channel, it does seem to be creating the ts and wtv files I just get nothing on my client. And the ts file is increasing in size, so it THINKS it is playing I suppose haha.

Just checking but have you shared the Recorded TV directory?? browse to it, right click on the directory go to properties>sharing and share it. The way you have it listed looks like the "users" directory is shared which is strange.

log says:
22:20:21 T:140471250892544 INFO: FileSmb->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://hoochConfusedable00@HOOCHVID-LR/Users/Public/Recorded%20TV/TempXBMC/LiveTV_192.168.0.46_Digital%20Cable_8_2013_09_28_22_17_28.ts'
unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'

which backs up my theory.

(2013-09-29, 05:25)cflynt Wrote: Path to local 'Recorded TV' directory from WMC settings:

Enter the network share path to the 'Recorded TV' folder (for remote client access):

I will note, that I can click START and type in C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\ and get there just fine. But if I browse to it through My Computer, it does show up as Public Recorded TV But I just assume that is cuz I am logged on as hooch.

Edit: Again, maybe it is something with the OpenELEC build, from the log it does appear to be working, but not getting anything.

Edit 2: Looking at the TempXBMC folder when I try and start a channel, it does seem to be creating the ts and wtv files I just get nothing on my client. And the ts file is increasing in size, so it THINKS it is playing I suppose haha.

Pardon me for asking, but you did share the Recorded TV folder right? In other words, if you type into the start menu:

\\HOOCHVID-LR\Users\Public\Recorded TV\

it takes you to the recorded tv folder, right?

(2013-09-29, 05:38)Dilligaf Wrote: Just checking but have you shared the Recorded TV directory?? browse to it, right click on the directory go to properties>sharing and share it. The way you have it listed looks like the "users" directory is shared which is strange.

log says:
22:20:21 T:140471250892544 INFO: FileSmb->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://hoochConfusedable00@HOOCHVID-LR/Users/Public/Recorded%20TV/TempXBMC/LiveTV_192.168.0.46_Digital%20Cable_8_2013_09_28_22_17_28.ts'
unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'

which backs up my theory.

(2013-09-29, 05:38)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-09-29, 05:25)cflynt Wrote: Yes, but thanks for asking, I did Advanced sharing and selected Share this folder and went into permissions and set Everyone to full control being as I did find a post about that. I will check on the users directory. I don't think I would have been able to add the credentials in XBMC browsing for that share if it wasn't shared!

Path to local 'Recorded TV' directory from WMC settings:

Pardon me for asking, but you did share the Recorded TV folder right? In other words, if you type into the start menu:

\\HOOCHVID-LR\Users\Public\Recorded TV\

it takes you to the recorded tv folder, right?

Edit: Did have the Users dir shared, don't recall why, guessing to do with RemotePotato or something still no idea why I did the entire dir. Fixed that.

Anyways, UNSHARING the users dir seemed to fix LiveTV and Recordings! WOOT.

Thanks guys, No idea why i did the Users directory before, but that seemed to fix it. Maybe sharing things twice cancelled something out. At least I say recordings are fixed, it is still working but I never even got the Working on it. But LiveTV def works.

Chad

Edit 2: Krusty, by un-sharing the entire Users dir, I get Success, path to network share saved now! Just thought you would like to know that was related as well.

Thanks again to both of you.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - TechLife - 2013-09-29

Should \Recorded TV\TempXBMC\imageCache\channelIcons\ populate itself when using "my channel logos XL" or do I have to manually copy them over? I added them in mclXL and they display fine in WMC. They also display fine in XBMC running on the same machine as ServerWMC. Unfortunately, that directory is empty so they do not display on my other clients...

(P.S. I just installed Margro's build. Holy crap!)