Kodi Community Forum
WMC as the backend - released - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: WMC as the backend - released (/showthread.php?tid=171216)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-09-29

(2013-09-29, 19:02)Slowfoxtrot Wrote:
(2013-09-29, 18:41)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-09-29, 17:48)Slowfoxtrot Wrote: ...
Thanks!

Sorry, but I have no idea. Hopefully svanhess will see this post and have some insight. For my own edification, why can't you use the apple client build he did?

Also, it's better if you use 'pastebin.com' for log output, rather than take up pages in this thread with long log postings.

EDIT - Oh I get it, its Apple TV. I hope you can get it going!

I apologize, I have moved everything over to pastebin. Hopefully svanhess can shed some light as I would really like to help develop this for the Apple TV!

Hey if you get it working for Apple TV, you can post anything you want as far as I am concerned (like family photos of your trip to the grand canyon Smile). I'm not the most patient of people, assuming you aren't either, consider PM'ing hess).

RE: WMC as the backend - released - gardnersm - 2013-09-29

Any one else having problems with skipping forward and back? Everything else seems to be working fine including fast forward and rewind.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - hoopsdavis - 2013-09-29

(2013-09-29, 20:35)gardnersm Wrote: Any one else having problems with skipping forward and back? Everything else seems to be working fine including fast forward and rewind.

that's always been an issue in xbmc (with Live TV). I've never been able to solve that, don't think many others have either.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - MeMeMe - 2013-09-29

(2013-09-29, 00:26)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-09-28, 22:16)MeMeMe Wrote: I've just installed the server, and when i try to run it, I get the message, "Unable to open a listening socket on port 9080, check your firewall settings of if this port is already in use. Unrecoverable error - ServerWMC will terminate!"

Any ideas?

Is there another app using port 9080? Have you tried changing the port number of the server to see if listening on a different port works? It that does work, make sure you change the port number on the client side too.

I can't change the port number, because it crashes immediately with the above message, I can't get into the settings. As far as I know, nothing else is using that port.

(2013-09-29, 01:11)SoCalXMBC Wrote:
(2013-09-28, 22:16)MeMeMe Wrote: I've just installed the server, and when i try to run it, I get the message, "Unable to open a listening socket on port 9080, check your firewall settings of if this port is already in use. Unrecoverable error - ServerWMC will terminate!"

Any ideas?

Also, check your system tray and make sure its not already running. If its just minimized to the tray and you try and open a new instance, you will get tht same error.

Mike

I have done that, and also checked task manager, to make sure there is no serverwmc process running when I start it up. No luck.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dilligaf - 2013-09-29

"C:\ProgramData\VDsoftware\ServerWMC\config.xml"

Edit this file to change the port, specifically this line

<ListenPort>9080</ListenPort>

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-09-30

(2013-09-29, 20:35)gardnersm Wrote: Any one else having problems with skipping forward and back? Everything else seems to be working fine including fast forward and rewind.

You are right about fast forward and rewind, I have never known if its a problem with the 'ts' format the code generates or a live tv issue with the addon interface - either way I haven't the expertise to solve it. I always use the step forward and step back by fixed steps sizes, xbmc makes the step sizes easily programmable. I prefer this to FF and RW anyway, even in wmc.

(2013-09-29, 20:46)MeMeMe Wrote: I've just installed the server, and when i try to run it, I get the message, "Unable to open a listening socket on port 9080, check your firewall settings of if this port is already in use. Unrecoverable error - ServerWMC will terminate!"

Any ideas?

I fixed this embarrassing problem this morning. I will put it out once I do a little more work with channel icons. You can also just edit the config.xml that Dilligraf mentioned. None of that explains why you having the problem in the first place though if port 9080 is open. Are you running a third party firewall, or some other security something or other?

RE: WMC as the backend - released - nlitend1 - 2013-09-30

(2013-09-23, 23:32)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2013-09-23, 20:41)bigwah Wrote: So I've been a cablecard WMC/mediabrowser user for a long time now. Saw this and its exactly what I've been waiting for.

I installed it and it pulled in the listings and I was able to select the channels. BUT, some of the channels dont look right, scanlines and other video artifacts. Is there something special i have to do in xbmc or this addon to get it to show right? Was clearly evident during football games yesterday (even switched back to make sure i wasnt going crazy).

Forgot to add, I've messed with some of the settings already with no luck.

as mentioned, its probably the interlace setting. its a bit strange in XBMC but you have to go to the video settings _while a video is playing_ (on the OSD its the film reel icon) then change Interlace to Auto, then scroll to the bottom and select "Set as default for all video".

Its also quirky in that setting this as default doesnt seem to override any other channel that you had already changed this for. So any channel you have customised doesnt have the default applied when you say "set as default". It seems XBMC saves this on a per channel basis, and setting as default only adjusts channels that hadnt previously had a custom setting saved for that channel. There was a thread about it in the XBMC forum where they seemed to be sasying it was by design but agreed it was rather unintuitive

(2013-09-23, 18:43)nlitend1 Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 17:50)krustyreturns Wrote: There are a number of questions about porting the client to other platforms. I only have the capability of compiling and testing on windows to date. Another developer worked on the client code to get rid of the windows specific stuff I had originally put in it, so the code SHOULD BE fairly easy to port to other systems.

So we just need someone to take on porting to the desired system, then we will need people to test it - like yourself. I made the client code available on the website. So yeah, tell your coding friends. Like I said, I would love to have it in ras pi myself. And I would like the help.

In my testing, sub titles do not work, and for that matter they don't work even when the recorded wtv files are played in xbmc. I assume it is a xbmc/wtv thing. All I can tell you from my end, is that I take the subtitle stream from the wtv file and mux it into the ts stream that is being played in live tv mode. We need somebody more knowledgeable in this stuff than me to enlighten us. Even better to help develop it.

Any updates on subtitles/closed captions? Is this the generic XBMC cannot read ATSC subtitles problem that all PVR addons seem to have or is WMC different making there hope for subtitles with the WMC addon? I sure hope WMC is different. I tried NextPVR and Mediaportal and none of them compare to WMC as a true 'production' PVR.

Thanks,

nlitend1
For live TV im pretty sure it isnt working as they arent being included in the remuxed TS file. I was debugging some other stuff over the weekend and it seems like the way the subtitles are in the WTV stream, we keep seeing packet data for that streamID but never saw the required timestamp headers that indicate to expect data, so we constantly see it as "data was provided but didnt have any previous packet to add it to". Subtitles are tricky also, because I think they are different all around the world. Eg in Australia I think we have some weird kind of Teletext based subtitles, which is different to the US and so on...

Id be interested to know if the subtitles at least work on scheduled recordings through XBMC? Since these are just plain old WTV recordings made by the WMC microsoft recording service, I would expect they would. Can you confirm? Through XBMC, set a future program to record, then once the recording is finished, play it through the Recordings section in XBMC. Also test that WTV file in WMC itself, to make sure the subtitles are in there (im pretty sure they would be). So if they work in WMC but not in XBMC, for a recorded WTV file, then there is an additional issue in XBMC itself with these subtitles. That would be nice to confirm or not. But in terms of live TV with this addon, we dont currently put the subtitle into the TS file so therefore im pretty sure that wont work. I guess there's a possibility that the subtitles here in Australia dont get remuxed to TS but maybe in other types of subtitles do. Again, you could confirm this by playing a TS file (in the tempXBMC subfolder while a XBMC live streaming is occuring) in WMC and seeing if subtitles are present.

Did as you requested and made a recording via the addon interface. Subtitles did not work when the file was played back in XBMC. Subtitles DID work when the same file was played in WMC. So yes, it looks like an issue with PLAYBACK of the livetv/recorded files in XBMC as the subtitles are in in the actual recorded file since it is recorded in the server WMC. Any ideas?

P.S. Noted the option in the server gui to play the file back as a .wtv or a .ts file and the .wtv option was greyed out. Is that a potential fix or does xbmc not play .wtv files unless they are in .ts format?

nlitend1

Hey Everyone,

There is a new version of the server up (1073), that should fix channel icons (haven't tested on non-windows clients though) and fixes the can't-open-port-exiting problem.

Note that channel icons should work automatically now IF you have channel icons set up in wmc.

Thanks to hoopsdavis and scarecrow420

--kr

RE: WMC as the backend - released - TechLife - 2013-09-30

Very excited! I will test the icon issue right away and report back. Thanks kr!

OK, so I closed XBMC, closed ServerWMC and installed the new version. I then loaded up ServerWMC and checked \Recorded TV\TempXBMC\imageCache\channelIcons and it was still empty. I then closed ServerWMC and the log from this is here: http://pastebin.com/1msNjgcK

Just for kicks, I then removed all icons and re-added them within MyChannelLogos. Loaded up ServerWMC and checked the folder again. Unfortunately, no dice. The log from this is here: http://pastebin.com/LTMt702y

This is the part where I was expecting to report bad news... Then, just to be sure, I loaded XBMC on one of my clients...SUCCESS! The icons are there! Excellent work, man! THANKS!!!!

(I was typing this as I went along so I'll just leave the whole experience here LOL. I wish I had checked it after the install and before the icon reload but I didn't.)

(2013-09-30, 05:09)TechLife Wrote: OK, so I closed XBMC, closed ServerWMC and installed the new version. I then loaded up ServerWMC and checked \Recorded TV\TempXBMC\imageCache\channelIcons and it was still empty. I then closed ServerWMC and the log from this is here: http://pastebin.com/1msNjgcK

Just for kicks, I then removed all icons and re-added them within MyChannelLogos. Loaded up ServerWMC and checked the folder again. Unfortunately, no dice. The log from this is here: http://pastebin.com/LTMt702y

This is the part where I was expecting to report bad news... Then, just to be sure, I loaded XBMC on one of my clients...SUCCESS! The icons are there! Excellent work, man! THANKS!!!!

(I was typing this as I went along so I'll just leave the whole experience here LOL. I wish I had checked it after the install and before the icon reload but I didn't.)

It doesn't populate the icons in tempxbmc unless it detects that there is a remote client, because otherwise there is no reason to cache the icons there - it would just be wasted disk space. That's why you didn't see them until you fired up the remote client. Thanks testing it so quick..

(2013-09-30, 05:41)krustyreturns Wrote: It doesn't populate the icons in tempxbmc unless it detects that there is a remote client, because otherwise there is no reason to cache the icons there - it would just be wasted disk space. That's why you didn't see them until you fired up the remote client. Thanks testing it so quick..
Makes perfect sense. No problem. Thanks for getting it fixed so quick!

RE: WMC as the backend - released - scarecrow420 - 2013-09-30

(2013-09-30, 02:12)nlitend1 Wrote:
(2013-09-23, 23:32)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2013-09-23, 20:41)bigwah Wrote: So I've been a cablecard WMC/mediabrowser user for a long time now. Saw this and its exactly what I've been waiting for.

I installed it and it pulled in the listings and I was able to select the channels. BUT, some of the channels dont look right, scanlines and other video artifacts. Is there something special i have to do in xbmc or this addon to get it to show right? Was clearly evident during football games yesterday (even switched back to make sure i wasnt going crazy).

Forgot to add, I've messed with some of the settings already with no luck.

as mentioned, its probably the interlace setting. its a bit strange in XBMC but you have to go to the video settings _while a video is playing_ (on the OSD its the film reel icon) then change Interlace to Auto, then scroll to the bottom and select "Set as default for all video".

Its also quirky in that setting this as default doesnt seem to override any other channel that you had already changed this for. So any channel you have customised doesnt have the default applied when you say "set as default". It seems XBMC saves this on a per channel basis, and setting as default only adjusts channels that hadnt previously had a custom setting saved for that channel. There was a thread about it in the XBMC forum where they seemed to be sasying it was by design but agreed it was rather unintuitive

(2013-09-23, 18:43)nlitend1 Wrote: Any updates on subtitles/closed captions? Is this the generic XBMC cannot read ATSC subtitles problem that all PVR addons seem to have or is WMC different making there hope for subtitles with the WMC addon? I sure hope WMC is different. I tried NextPVR and Mediaportal and none of them compare to WMC as a true 'production' PVR.

Thanks,

nlitend1
For live TV im pretty sure it isnt working as they arent being included in the remuxed TS file. I was debugging some other stuff over the weekend and it seems like the way the subtitles are in the WTV stream, we keep seeing packet data for that streamID but never saw the required timestamp headers that indicate to expect data, so we constantly see it as "data was provided but didnt have any previous packet to add it to". Subtitles are tricky also, because I think they are different all around the world. Eg in Australia I think we have some weird kind of Teletext based subtitles, which is different to the US and so on...

Id be interested to know if the subtitles at least work on scheduled recordings through XBMC? Since these are just plain old WTV recordings made by the WMC microsoft recording service, I would expect they would. Can you confirm? Through XBMC, set a future program to record, then once the recording is finished, play it through the Recordings section in XBMC. Also test that WTV file in WMC itself, to make sure the subtitles are in there (im pretty sure they would be). So if they work in WMC but not in XBMC, for a recorded WTV file, then there is an additional issue in XBMC itself with these subtitles. That would be nice to confirm or not. But in terms of live TV with this addon, we dont currently put the subtitle into the TS file so therefore im pretty sure that wont work. I guess there's a possibility that the subtitles here in Australia dont get remuxed to TS but maybe in other types of subtitles do. Again, you could confirm this by playing a TS file (in the tempXBMC subfolder while a XBMC live streaming is occuring) in WMC and seeing if subtitles are present.

Did as you requested and made a recording via the addon interface. Subtitles did not work when the file was played back in XBMC. Subtitles DID work when the same file was played in WMC. So yes, it looks like an issue with PLAYBACK of the livetv/recorded files in XBMC as the subtitles are in in the actual recorded file since it is recorded in the server WMC. Any ideas?

P.S. Noted the option in the server gui to play the file back as a .wtv or a .ts file and the .wtv option was greyed out. Is that a potential fix or does xbmc not play .wtv files unless they are in .ts format?

nlitend1
Also just checking, when playing back the recording you made is this through the "Recordings" section of XBMC's TV interface or just as a normal file in "Videos" section. It's the latter Id like to know 10% does or doesnt support the subtitles. If it doesnt then unfortunately it means that it wold be XBMC itself that isnt displaying subtitles from within a WTV file.

Regarding the TS vs WTV option, yes it is disabled purposely, whilst XBMC can play a WTV file it cant play it nicely while it is still being recorded to. Basically it only plays up to the file size that existed when you started playback, seems it doesnt dynamically handle the growing file and understand that there is more video to play after that point etc...

Good to see another server release krusty Smile

As I mentioned a little while ago, I'm going on vacation to Europe until late in October so whilst I may stop by in the thread if I have the chance, I wont be able to contribute development wise until I get back. Good luck all Smile

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dilligaf - 2013-10-01

As of today the release version of Raspbmc ships with pvr.wmc All you PI users give it a try, I have had 100% success with it.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - TechLife - 2013-10-01

Awesome! That is very cool. Apparently Sam finds this as cool as we do. I'll try it out soon and update the Wiki accordingly. Thanks for the heads up!