Kodi Community Forum
WMC as the backend - released - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: WMC as the backend - released (/showthread.php?tid=171216)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - csgnyc - 2013-10-06

Hi. Seems like a great idea but I'm having trouble installing. Followed the steps in the google drive docs for installing onto Win7, but I'm getting repeated "Windows Media Center PVR Connection lost" error messages -- XBMC seems to have seen the WMC for about a split second when I first installed, but doesn't seem to connect to it again. Just tried reinstalling XBMC, and made sure that WMC works well (with the HD HomeRun Prime).

Any ideas how to troubleshoot?

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-10-06

(2013-10-06, 05:16)csgnyc Wrote: Hi. Seems like a great idea but I'm having trouble installing. Followed the steps in the google drive docs for installing onto Win7, but I'm getting repeated "Windows Media Center PVR Connection lost" error messages -- XBMC seems to have seen the WMC for about a split second when I first installed, but doesn't seem to connect to it again. Just tried reinstalling XBMC, and made sure that WMC works well (with the HD HomeRun Prime).

Are you running the server on your wmc machine?

I am. (I should be, right?)
(2013-10-06, 05:24)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-10-06, 05:16)csgnyc Wrote: Hi. Seems like a great idea but I'm having trouble installing. Followed the steps in the google drive docs for installing onto Win7, but I'm getting repeated "Windows Media Center PVR Connection lost" error messages -- XBMC seems to have seen the WMC for about a split second when I first installed, but doesn't seem to connect to it again. Just tried reinstalling XBMC, and made sure that WMC works well (with the HD HomeRun Prime).

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dilligaf - 2013-10-06

(2013-10-06, 05:32)csgnyc Wrote: I am. (I should be, right?)
(2013-10-06, 05:24)krustyreturns Wrote:

Are you minimizing the server with the - button or are you closing it with the x button?? There should be an icon in the Sys Tray (by the clock)

I must have closed the server. Now, upon reopening it, I get this error message: "Unable to open a listening socket on port 9080, check your firewall settings or if this port is already in use. Restart the server after setting a new port number." AFAIK, I don't have any unusual firewall settings (I don't even know how to set those up).

(2013-10-06, 05:49)Dilligaf Wrote:
(2013-10-06, 05:32)csgnyc Wrote: I am. (I should be, right?)
(2013-10-06, 05:24)krustyreturns Wrote: Are you running the server on your wmc machine?

Are you minimizing the server with the - button or are you closing it with the x button?? There should be an icon in the Sys Tray (by the clock)

Are you sureHuh You'll get that if you try to open the server twice. Try a reboot of the server machine.

(Ignore this post, I screwed something up but fixed it).

OK, I turned the machine off and on. Ran the server, and got the same firewall error message. Any ideas?

EDIT: Changing the port (had to change it on both the server and the add-on) seems to have gotten me past this obstacle. It's currently importing the EPG, so hopefully it's smooth sailing from hereon out.

do you have the server set to autosart?? Look closely at the SysTray for an icon that looks like a circle with a V under it click the arrow if there is one to show the hidden icons. If it's not there open a command prompt and run "netstat" scroll through the list looking for something using port 9080 and note what it is. You can try editing "C:\ProgramData\VDsoftware\ServerWMC\config.xml" and change the port to something else, try 9090, you'll have to change the ports on the client apps as well to match.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - spaceboy - 2013-10-06

(2013-10-06, 05:02)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-10-06, 01:56)spaceboy Wrote: no, on the remote client i can't do anything. everything loads, i see all the recordings but when i play nothing happens. same happens with live tv except wmcserver thinks it is streaming to the client

This is a non-windows client right? Have you shared the recorded tv folder and set the credentials (see 'folders' tab in server for credentials)?

no, this client is a windows 8 laptop. but the whole drive where the recordedtv folder is located is shared and the credentials are correctly set in wmcserver. if i add the recorded tv folder to xbmc file manager i can play the wtv but not through the live tv addin

RE: WMC as the backend - released - edgedamage - 2013-10-06

(2013-10-06, 04:28)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-10-06, 04:24)edgedamage Wrote: Ok I fixed it, WMC was pointing to a old freenas share. Which didn't bother WMC or the PC version of XBMC. Once I removed the old path within WMC, all is good with the PI. Thanks again to all involved with XBMC.

Glad you fixed it, sorry I didn't get back to you. It would have bothered the pc version of xbmc too if it was running on a remote machine. It sounds like this is the bug of day, I guess its time to fix it.
The PC version of XBMC was running on the same machine as WMC & ServerWMC.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - spaceboy - 2013-10-06

i think i managed to capture one of the tuning errors on the main htpc https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39548367/tuning%20error.txt if i select another channel and come back to this one it works

edit: also going back to the password question, i see its unencrypted in the config.xml, it seems to be encrypted in one line but unecrypted in an earlier line. because this is a win8 pc it really needs to be signed into my main hotmail / outlook account. could this be improved to have all passwords encrypted?

the username and password appear to be the source of the problem on the laptop win8 client. in the xbmc log i see this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39548367/laptop%20playing%20recorded%20tv.txt also the password was unencrypted, i have replaced both this and the username in the attached. same problem with live tv on the win8 laptop too:

14:07:05 T:8000 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: pvr://channels/tv/All TV channels/0.pvr
14:07:05 T:8000 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
14:07:05 T:5268 NOTICE: Thread CDVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
14:07:05 T:5268 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
14:07:05 T:5268 ERROR: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center PVR: Socket::GetVector> error getting responses
14:08:05 T:5268 ERROR: Couldn't connect to \\outlook.com\d, error code 53
14:08:05 T:5268 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file \\outlook.com\d\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_Laptop_DVB-T_101_2013_10_06_14_07_04.ts Error: 53
14:08:05 T:5268 ERROR: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center PVR: Error opening stream file, Win32 error code: 53
14:08:05 T:5268 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [pvr://channels/tv/All TV channels/0.pvr]
14:08:05 T:5268 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
14:08:05 T:5268 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
14:08:05 T:8000 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
14:08:05 T:8000 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
14:08:05 T:8000 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
14:08:05 T:8000 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
14:08:05 T:6140 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true

sorry for all the edits but hopefully this is helpful!

(2013-10-06, 06:53)Dilligaf Wrote: If it's not there open a command prompt and run "netstat" scroll through the list looking for something using port 9080 and note what it is.

That's one for my bag of tricks. Thank you.

(2013-10-06, 14:22)spaceboy Wrote: i think i managed to capture one of the tuning errors on the main htpc https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39548367/tuning%20error.txt if i select another channel and come back to this one it works

edit: also going back to the password question, i see its unencrypted in the config.xml, it seems to be encrypted in one line but unecrypted in an earlier line. because this is a win8 pc it really needs to be signed into my main hotmail / outlook account. could this be improved to have all passwords encrypted?

the username and password appear to be the source of the problem on the laptop win8 client. in the xbmc log i see this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39548367/laptop%20playing%20recorded%20tv.txt also the password was unencrypted, i have replaced both this and the username in the attached. same problem with live tv on the win8 laptop too:

14:07:05 T:8000 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: pvr://channels/tv/All TV channels/0.pvr
14:07:05 T:8000 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
14:07:05 T:5268 NOTICE: Thread CDVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
14:07:05 T:5268 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
14:07:05 T:5268 ERROR: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center PVR: Socket::GetVector> error getting responses
14:08:05 T:5268 ERROR: Couldn't connect to \\outlook.com\d, error code 53
14:08:05 T:5268 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file \\outlook.com\d\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_Laptop_DVB-T_101_2013_10_06_14_07_04.ts Error: 53
14:08:05 T:5268 ERROR: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center PVR: Error opening stream file, Win32 error code: 53
14:08:05 T:5268 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [pvr://channels/tv/All TV channels/0.pvr]
14:08:05 T:5268 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
14:08:05 T:5268 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
14:08:05 T:8000 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
14:08:05 T:8000 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
14:08:05 T:8000 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
14:08:05 T:8000 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
14:08:05 T:6140 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true

sorry for all the edits but hopefully this is helpful!

Hi Spaceboy,

I have a number of questions and requests and some info.

Request 1:
In the crash log you sent me in the server above, please go to the tempxbmc folder and look for a folder there called 'savedfordebug', find the file:
LiveTV_HTPC_DVB-T_101_2013_10_06_13_13_35.wtv

I have one other example of a file failing with the above error type and I want to see if it is the same. It seems to happen randomly on broadcasts in the UK. Another example clip will be really helpful for me to come up with a bug fix. If its what I think it is, it happens when a luminosity field is read in from the descriptor pass.

If its there place it my gdrive like you did the other:
https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&authuser=0#folders/0ByNnAMYBoWvfQVBBNzFhZmNPWUE

Request 2:
I don't understand why your password is getting written twice in the config.xml file. Can you send me the file and edit out your password with *. You can put it in the same folder as the clip. It is true that the xbmc client also outputs this password in the xbmc debug log, thats a bug I need to fix. Having said all that, since your remote client is windows these credentials are not needed, although windows will still work if they are turned on.

Info:
As to your other problem with some HD stations stuttering. I looked at the file you sent, and you are right, the wtv plays smoothly in xbmc - so this is not exactly the same problem I have see with other UK broadcasts. However when I remux this file to ts (which I have to do in order to do live tv) the ts file contains the stuttering you see. If you want to test this (please do!), go to the debug tab on the server and turn off 'delete temporary stream files', then run one of these stuttery channels for a couple of minutes in live tv. When you are done, use xbmc to play the 'ts' file left in tempxbmc It will have the stuttery playback. HOWEVER, if you play the same ts file in wmp or wmc it will play back smoothly (if you have any other players, try those and let me know what you get). Why xbmc does not like the ts code my program makes from bbc*, I don't know. My remux code is based on a public domain tool called Remuxtool written in java, I went back to that tool to see if it was something I did when I adopted the code, but that tool also produces a ts file that is jerky when played in xbmc.

Request 3:
At this point I am stuck, I can spend a lot of time learning the inner workings of ts format and look at the ffmpeg code in xbmc but I would have a lot to learn and I want to spend my free time get this pvr as solid and as featured as possible, not become a video format expert (although that would be interesting). I humbly request instead that you submit this jerky ts clip to the xbmc folks as a bug and see what they say (since it plays fine in other players). A lot of the European users, and me, would love to see this fixed.

new topic:
Your windows remote client can read epg, schedule recordings, etc, so the network connection to the server is fine. Since you can't watch a recorded tv program, or watch live tv, this means the network path to recorded tv is where the problem is. The user name and passwork in the credentials do not matter for windows, in fact you can turn these off (but not before you send me the info I requested above Smile). All that matters for windows is:
the recorded tv file be shared for everybody ('everybody' just applying to windows clients)
that the only folder wmc is using for recorded tv be the main recording folder (no other watched folders) - this requirement is a bug I am going to try to fix today if my wife lets me.

If all this is right, please (last request), turn on the server, turn off credentials, and click the save button (make sure it says save succeeded), start the client, run one attempt at a live stream. After it failes send me the complete server log and xbmc log (put it the same google drive folder).

Thanks. Sorry for the long post (we are even now)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - LehighBri - 2013-10-06

(2013-10-03, 19:41)Moe Manley Wrote:
(2013-10-03, 19:01)LehighBri Wrote: I just started to use this on my windows PC and love it. I also have a raspberry pi running OpenELEC but I see a mention of an addon for RaspBMC.

Is there a client addon that is compatible with OpenELEC? Is it the x86 Linux download? Or is OpenELEC not supported for whatever reason?

You have to switch over to RASPBMC. If you do the install where it downloads the latest version, you get WMC pvr with it. I was running OPENELEC with the tv:Confusederver on two raspberry pi's. I switched one and then the other because the performance is much better with the WMC as the backend. If you don't want to get rid of OPENELEC, just get a new SD card.

Is there any plans to make this compatible with OpenELEC or will it only be on raspbmc for the foreseeable future? It will help me figure out if I change my rpi to raspbmc or not (I never tried raspbmc but am certainly not opposed to changing).

PS... this is working great on my windows machine and I'm starting to use it more and more every day (I have been a SageTV user for many years and am working to move off of that at some point...)